• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Years ago my hunting buddy brought me his trusty Ithaca 10guage shotgun he had used for many goose hunting outings. It had a swelled receiver and when you looked into the ejection port there was some damage to the grooves that the bolt assembly slides along. He believed it was caused by a hot reload.

I was asked if I could help fix it.....being a good friend I didn't want to disappoint.

We clamped it in a vice and smashed the receiver back to shape, then I got the mig welder out and welded string beads where the grooves were originally cut. Ground it back to shape with a die grinder and dremel tool. Checked to see if the bolt would slide easily and finished up by slapping some cold blue on the repair area.

I was not around for the final testing, but was told he tied it to a fence post and ran a string to the trigger. Test fired it twice.

I was young and didn't think about the consequences of making a "dumb" repair like that. Especially the fact that he took it to a gun shop and traded it in. Surprise

I am older and wiser now and on occasion think about that gun hoping nobody was ever hurt firing it.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Years ago, I dropped my P89 Ruger into the inner pocket of my jacket and went out for the evening. While out I stopped at Samsclub to pick up some supplies for the party I was going to. I got a little warm in the store so I unzipped my jacket, then while receiving assistance from a store clerk with some of the items I was picking up, I bent over and yep you guessed it the Ruger unceremoniously dumped right out onto the floor. I just about passed out, thinking OMG their going to freak on me, but the clerk just said "whoops"...I've never carried that way since.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    After messing with it for some time, I had successfully gotten the slide to lock open on my dad's Steyr M1912 WWII bring back. Problem was, now I couldn't get it back into battery.

Figuring out what the stripper clip of bullets would do if I slid them down into the open chamber (without actually doing it because I knew this would load the gun and then I would certainly be in trouble), I reluctantly used my thumb to press down on the bullet shaped piece in the bottom of where the bullets went and WHAM! Now my thumb was caught in the closing slide like a yote's leg in a trap.

After about what seemed an hour, I figured out how to free my bloody thumb with only one hand. It was about 20 years later (when I was 27) when I first shot that gun...

images

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I did that once except used a small propane tank (the size used for camping lanterns). Made a real pretty fireball though.

I have a youtube video of my escapade (it was about 15 years ago), but had to make it private as I caught all kinds of hell for unsafe practices including saying Whoo hoo and shooting up into the air. (redneck). I was one knuckle head that's for sure.
    I'll sell tickets to see the video, but I'm not into catching hell on this forum. I've seen it ...It's too brutal.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Years ago my hunting buddy brought me his trusty Ithaca 10guage shotgun he had used for many goose hunting outings. It had a swelled receiver and when you looked into the ejection port there was some damage to the grooves that the bolt assembly slides along. He believed it was caused by a hot reload.

I was asked if I could help fix it.....being a good friend I didn't want to disappoint.

We clamped it in a vice and smashed the receiver back to shape, then I got the mig welder out and welded string beads where the grooves were originally cut. Ground it back to shape with a die grinder and dremel tool. Checked to see if the bolt would slide easily and finished up by slapping some cold blue on the repair area.

I was not around for the final testing, but was told he tied it to a fence post and ran a string to the trigger. Test fired it twice.

I was young and didn't think about the consequences of making a "dumb" repair like that. Especially the fact that he took it to a gun shop and traded it in. Surprise

I am older and wiser now and on occasion think about that gun hoping nobody was ever hurt firing it.

Pretty impressive.
    Hey BTW. Awesome avatar

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    i once got a squib on a reload and out of frustration grabbed the first thing i could find and pushed the bullet out. The first thing i could find was a metal rod. Ended up putting a few dings n the bore. The thing is, that gun in still extremely accurate still.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    i tried to make a thumbhole stock mak 90 look like regular ak with a saw and belt sander and a bottle of booze. looked like crap!!

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Pretty impressive.
    Hey BTW. Awesome avatar

Thank you,
    The photo was taken during the Hardy Lake Raptor days in Scottsburg a couple years ago. The blue area with the blurred stars was an actual flag behind the bird. The back layer with the stripes was added in photoshop. It looks fantastic printed on metal. As a matter of fact the Raptor event is going on this weekend Sept. 28-30

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading this thread and putting a lot of thought into it (20 seconds or so) I have decided to not put into writing some of the dumb stuff we used to do with our guns. Will just say silly, silly boys.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Ok I know I should just keep this to myself but I will go ahead and tell you guys the level of stupid I went to.
    Many years ago when younger and dumber, a couple friends and myself decided it would be fun to shoot beer cans off of each others heads with a 22 rifle. While out camping. While drinking. Only about 10 or 15 feet away, but wow I think back now amd can't believe how dumb that was. We would cover our faces with our shirt to keep from getting powder in the eyes.
    Dumb dumb dumb. Ok I will go hide now.:facepalm:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok I know I should just keep this to myself but I will go ahead and tell you guys the level of stupid I went to.
    Many years ago when younger and dumber, a couple friends and myself decided it would be fun to shoot beer cans off of each others heads with a 22 rifle. While out camping. While drinking. Only about 10 or 15 feet away, but wow I think back now amd can't believe how dumb that was. We would cover our faces with our shirt to keep from getting powder in the eyes.
    Dumb dumb dumb. Ok I will go hide now.:facepalm:

Like I said....silly, silly boys. Substitute apples at 25 ft. No beer just silly, silly boys.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Tried to install my G22 barrel on my G27, rendering both guns inoperable — then, after spending 45 minutes getting the slide back off, remembering I had done the same thing a couple years ago.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Thank you,
    The photo was taken during the Hardy Lake Raptor days in Scottsburg a couple years ago. The blue area with the blurred stars was an actual flag behind the bird. The back layer with the stripes was added in photoshop. It looks fantastic printed on metal. As a matter of fact the Raptor event is going on this weekend Sept. 28-30

Wow. And I thought you just snagged it from somewhere.
    Me and the daughter was up to Hardy and saw something about raptors but the cages were empty. I'd like to get up there but I typically only get to do one thing and I'm checking out a gun show in Salem. Who knows, may get over there anyway if the gun show is lame.
    Thanks.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Back when I was a youngin, I decided to load a small nail into my BB gun to see if I could get it to go into a pencil, a pencil I was holding. Nail went right through my thumb, pulled it out, stuck on some peroxide and a band-aid and never ever told my mother. :)

Thankfully that's the most horriffic thing I can think of. I haven't done anything stupid as an adult yet (gun wise only of course) and I hope to continue that streak. :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The dumbest thing I ever did with a gun was wear a semi baggy hoodie to an indoor range while firing an HK G36 full auto. Some hot brass stuck in my beard and some down the hoodie. I can't say I've ever done anything risky or stupid with a firearm.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hmm.

When I was 18, I took apart my Mossberg 500 to put some taticool nonsense on it (like a side saddle shell holder or something) in my Dad's shop are in the basement. I got distracted and wandered away before finishing.

A month or two later, when I went back, I couldn't find all the pieces (and managed to forget how to put the stupid thing back together again). I think the corpse of that 12gauge is still in my Dad's gun safe back in Ohio. Maybe one of these days I'll get what's left and see if I can pick up some replacement parts and put it back together.

Recently, though, I took my brand new Arsenal SGL 31-61 out out to Linden and was shooting it. I had put it down on the cement table I was shooting from (and one where the carpet covering was pretty ragged). When I picked it back up, I ended up scrapping the muzzle brake against the uncarpeted end of the table and put a big scrape on it. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

Oh well, I guess AK's should probably have battle scars anyway.

Also, my stupid things I have done with guns stories have gotten subsequently more boring the older I get. :D

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Had a S&W 915 back in '94 I think...dumbest thing I ever did: bought that gun. It was a total lemon, even after S&W put a whole new top end on it. Sold that thing first opportunity I got.

Top Bottom