• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boone County Sheriff and Gunsite Instructor Ken Campbell says the exact samething.

It's bound to happen someday. You habitually do something everyday, and you are bound to break that habbit someday.

So because 2 people gave an opinion it has to be true for millions on fun owners??? Ludicrous.

I know many people who have been carrying their whole lives and never have had a negligent discharge.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So because 2 people gave an opinion it has to be true for millions on fun owners??? Ludicrous.

I know many people who have been carrying their whole lives and never have had a negligent discharge.

Ludicrous? Nah. If you knew who Sheriff Campbell was, knew his background, you'd understand and show a little respect in what he has to say.

Ludicrous? Hah!

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ludicrous? Nah. If you knew who Sheriff Campbell was, knew his background, you'd understand and show a little respect in what he has to say.

Ludicrous? Hah!

He said that everybody who carries or owns a gun will have atleast 1 negligent discharge in their lifetime. I can prove him wrong. Ive never had one. I only know 2 people who ever have, and I hang out with a bunch of gun nuts and come from a very pro 2nd Amendment family.

So no, I dont respect his opinion on this particular subject because its dead wrong.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, its actually a FACT that I have never had a negligent discharge, and neither have most of the people I know, which proves your cop friend wrong.
    Are you dead yet? No? Then you still have time for your one ND!

Kidding, of course. I'd guess at least some folks go through life without.

All depends on what you would call a ND. I did an accidental double-tap at the range. Let my hands get too tired during a long session, didn't control the recoil well, and hit the trigger a second time completely by "accident". Put a round 5' up the berm. I didn't even finish that magazine. Just cleaned up and went home. Was that a ND? I dunno, but I was furious with myself for letting it happen.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    No, its actually a FACT that I have never had a negligent discharge, and neither have most of the people I know, which proves your cop friend wrong.

Ok nobody is saying you have HAD a ND or an AD.

What my "cop friend" is saying that every day you dont have an ND is just one day closer that you will.

Which means that anything you habitually do everyday, you can get careless and forgetful, and make a mistake. It's going to happen.

The moral? Dont get in a habit. Be careful everytime you do something.

But then again, my "cop friend" is only a popular Sheriff and a Gunsite Instructor. YOU obviously know more than he does.

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok nobody is saying you have HAD a ND or an AD.

What my "cop friend" is saying that every day you dont have an ND is just one day closer that you will.

Which means that anything you habitually do everyday, you can get careless and forgetful, and make a mistake. It's going to happen.

The moral? Dont get in a habit. Be careful everytime you do something.

But then again, my "cop friend" is only a popular Sheriff and a Gunsite Instructor. YOU obviously know more than he does.

The only problem I have with what your saying is the claim you are making that everybody will have a negligent discharge sooner or later. Everything else I agree with. I agree that it is easy to become complacent in your habits but you said that everybody will have a negligent discharge which is simply not true.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The only problem I have with what your saying is the claim you are making that everybody will have a negligent discharge sooner or later. Everything else I agree with. I agree that it is easy to become complacent in your habits but you said that everybody will have a negligent discharge which is simply not true.

Actually I used the word "you". I never used the word "everybody" :D

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually I used the word "you". I never used the word "everybody" :D

Boone County Sheriff and Gunsite Instructor Ken Campbell says the exact samething.

It's bound to happen someday. You habitually do something everyday, and you are bound to break that habbit someday.

We both know you meant "you" as in "everybody" unless that cop friend of yours particularly said "Cool Hand Luke from Ingo will have a negligent discharge"

Give up.

fahappy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    NW Indiana
    When I was 16 I had a .38 that rusted pretty badly with the ammunition still in the cylinder. I tried to remove the bullets but when that didnt work, I had the bright idea to see if it would still fire which it did. That would have been fine except when I pulled the trigger the gun was aimed directly at my television. ( I know i was a total dumbass)

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Reinstalled slide stop spring wrong in G19-carried for about a week before I shot it and discovered slide locked back every round-if there was ever a prize for 'stupid' Iwould have won it

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

He said that everybody who carries or owns a gun will have atleast 1 negligent discharge in their lifetime. I can prove him wrong. Ive never had one. I only know 2 people who ever have, and I hang out with a bunch of gun nuts and come from a very pro 2nd Amendment family.

So no, I dont respect his opinion on this particular subject because its dead wrong.

Isn't the Sheriff's statement about ND more like one of those "don't think it won't happen to you" warnings? I don't think we should take it literally as a statistical assertion. I'm glad that Luke and his friends practice good gun safety with good results, but they probably do so because they know an ND could be around the corner if they let up the vigilance. Also, if you mentally prepare for the consequences of a discharge, you are more likely to be aware of where your muzzle is pointing, and you will be safer.

Also, we're getting the statement second or third hand, so let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

Da Bing

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    shot a bee hive out of a tree years ago when i was a kid. with a BB gun, so it took multiple tries. Good thing i could run fast. not sure if that's the dumbest though...

Top Bottom