Uranus
    ghey0meter-2.gif

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    This is the greatest threat to this country and the true meaning of freedom. It's been twisted to fit every ideal that opposes what our forefathers designed it to mean. Now freedom means everyone must respect and accept my alternative lifestyle or beliefs that I will flaunt in your face. However do not speak up against it or face being called politically incorrect and pay a price. I'm all for freedom of speech and religion but this is getting ridiculous.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its one thing for him to spout things on the show. I would understand A&E dumping him for that. But to dump him for things he said in a different forum?

I may not agree with him entirely, but I do respect his opinion and right to free speech. They could have easily ignored it since it was "out of band" and not on their show. But to boot him for his relatively benign comments elsewhere seems a bit overkill. After all he basically said was "being a homo? I dont get it. God sez its not right and you wont get to heaven. Repent." That is not ban hammer worthy. What IS ban hammer worthy is "I hate fags. they need to DIAF! Somebody needs to start executing them!" He voiced his opinion without being hateful. I dont see anything wrong with that.

I hope A&E gets what they get. Honestly, I hope this bites them in the butt so freakin hard they stop this reality TV crap and go back to REAL TV. Shortly after we dumped cable so that my wife could stay home and be a mom and home school, everybody stopped the awesome documentaries like histories mysteries, etc and all shifted to the cheaper reality TV crap. I travel on business, so I regularly get exposed to cable TV on the road. Trip after trip our decision to drop paid TV is reinforced. Everybody has gone to reality crap because its cheaper than scripted shows. I remember 10 years ago I could sit for HOURS switching between History, A&E, TLC, and Discovery. Every hour would have something cool to the point I sometimes had to decide which channel to choose they were so good. I wouldnt get cable now if they paid me. Its not worth it.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    May not mean much and not sure if it would do a whole lot if masses of people did but, I just don't pay for television
    and try to avoid supporting things that corrupt our nation.
    I know it's impossible to avoid it all the time but heck, I figure I'm avoiding any brainwashing and probably irritation. :dunno:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Oh, I get it now. He said that gays wouldn't get into the Kingdom of heaven. I guess that is the discrimination part right there! But these people don't believe in Christianity anyways, so how can it be discrimination? I guess it is like virtual discrimination, hmmm.

+1 to Phil for getting the words Vagina and Anus in print, and even in the same sentence. Priceless.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This was from July. With a signed contract, who knows...maybe he decided to speak his mind about something that would cause people to get butthurt so he could have a way off the show.

'Duck Dynasty' patriarch Phil plans to leave show - TODAY.com

Also, the GQ interview isn't good or bad. Just an older, rural-Southern, highly religious guy speaking about sin. The GQ article also mentions him having a private bible study with a woman addicted to cocaine. A person with a reasonable amount of intelligence might be able to see that he hates the sin but not the sinner.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Don't think the show is going to last much longer anyway. How many more contrived scenarios can they come up with?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To be honest I haven't ever really watched the show. And I really couldn't care less what someone else's opinion on homosexuality is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As long as no one is forcing me to agree or disagree then why should I give a crap?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    A&E issued this statement:

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely,”

However, Phil Roberston issued this statement first:

“I myself am a product of the ’60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Seems like GQ and A&E were looking for a reason not to like him.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Its one thing for him to spout things on the show. I would understand A&E dumping him for that. But to dump him for things he said in a different forum?

I may not agree with him entirely, but I do respect his opinion and right to free speech. They could have easily ignored it since it was "out of band" and not on their show. But to boot him for his relatively benign comments elsewhere seems a bit overkill. After all he basically said was "being a homo? I dont get it. God sez its not right and you wont get to heaven. Repent." That is not ban hammer worthy. What IS ban hammer worthy is "I hate fags. they need to DIAF! Somebody needs to start executing them!" He voiced his opinion without being hateful. I dont see anything wrong with that.

I hope A&E gets what they get. Honestly, I hope this bites them in the butt so freakin hard they stop this reality TV crap and go back to REAL TV. Shortly after we dumped cable so that my wife could stay home and be a mom and home school, everybody stopped the awesome documentaries like histories mysteries, etc and all shifted to the cheaper reality TV crap. I travel on business, so I regularly get exposed to cable TV on the road. Trip after trip our decision to drop paid TV is reinforced. Everybody has gone to reality crap because its cheaper than scripted shows. I remember 10 years ago I could sit for HOURS switching between History, A&E, TLC, and Discovery. Every hour would have something cool to the point I sometimes had to decide which channel to choose they were so good. I wouldnt get cable now if they paid me. Its not worth it.

While I too, agree that Phils comments were purely his opinons and coveyed in a respectful manner, I can't blame A&E for their decison to sack him. Duck Dynasty is part of A&E's brand, and Phil is part of that show. A&E weighed the decision purely on a cost-benefit perspective. They're a business, and when someone in their employ threatens their bottom line, they will be removed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have no doubt if a&e drops the show every other network would be fighting to pick it up

I'm betting copyright/contractual issue may just foil that idea. Broadcasting companies are known exclusive rights deals and prohibiting employees from work with competitors for x number of years. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom