• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can tell you that many people who are poor are happy people. Getting more things and more money doesn't really make most people happy. If one watches the show it is obvious that Phil lives below his means. As for the comments about Christianity, well we are prohibited from discussing that on this forum which puts us at a disadvantage to the humanists, atheists and agnostics. It absolutely amazes me that some people can get their panties in a wad because a show like Duck Dynasty exists...Just flip that dial!

Poor people can be happy... Oppressed, not so much.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Phil's context about blacks, I see more as the ignorance of his youth rather than him being racist. I simply think he never re-evaluated the things that he saw and connected the dots. I find it hard to believe that he never saw a black person mistreated, I just don't think he recognized it. And as far as them being "happy," I doubt that was the case, but Phil may have held that belief in what was clearly limited interaction.
    Entirely possible. When I read that part of the transcript, all I saw was him recounting a very small bit of his experience. Three sentences hardly covers everything that he ever witnessed. It would be like me having fond memories of my childhood, and not mentioning all of the rough times.

Interviewer: How was your childhood?
    Me: Pretty good. We didn't have a lot, but never wanted for anything. I'd say we were pretty lucky.
    NAACP: OMGWTFBBQ!!!!111 You don't remember all the times you got in trouble? Or when you made your momma cry? Or that one time in band camp....????? You evil person!!!!
    ME: Dang, dude. It was an interview with GQ! I wasn't testifying before Congress or anything! Get a grip, folks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thank you sir.

No problem. Personally, Phil has my sympathies. I think he's a good man, certainly not a racist or bigot. I think his problem is that he has no filter. If he agrees with homosexuality, that's his right, but by essentially attacking the lifestyle, he's not going to change any options of those that accept it. In situations like this, it's best to be tactful in stating your opinion so that people that disagree might consider your stance.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    :+1:

And while we are at it, let's remove tax exempt status for all churches, regardless of the path. Government shouldn't subsidize religion.
    Gee, and stupid me, I thought that tax exempting religious institutions had to do with the principle of the separation of church and state:rolleyes:.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No problem. Personally, Phil has my sympathies. I think he's a good man, certainly not a racist or bigot. I think his problem is that he has no filter. If he agrees with homosexuality, that's his right, but by essentially attacking the lifestyle, he's not going to change any options of those that accept it. In situations like this, it's best to be tactful in stating your opinion so that people that disagree might consider your stance.

I still hold that he was setup for this to happen

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    And blow over it will, eventually, says veteran Hollywood crisis publicist Howard Bragman, who added that Robertson will likely return to the show as well, perhaps after making a heartfelt apology.

"There's too much money at stake," said Bragman, vice president of reputation.com. "Although he plays kind of a hick on TV, I don't think he's dumb. I think he gets what's at stake here. And I hope people on his team, the network and his producers get the message that what he did was wrong. "

I don't think this guy gets it. This isn't some liberal spouting random junk while mad. This is someone expressing heartfelt belief.

'Duck Dynasty' Fans React to Robertson's Hiatus

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I still hold that he was setup for this to happen
    Christians have always had targets on their backs. The more famous and/or outspoken one is, the bigger the target. It seems to me that for a Christian to be successful, he or she must build a business from scratch to a success. Outspoken Christians aren't often looked favorably upon by the sectarian world, especially the entertainment industry.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    First rule of interviewing: Never ask a question for which you don't already know the answer.

Agreed!

3304878-7832051047-admir.jpg

Christians have always had targets on their backs. The more famous and/or outspoken one is, the bigger the target. It seems to me that for a Christian to be successful, he or she must build a business from scratch to a success. Outspoken Christians aren't often looked favorably upon by the sectarian world, especially the entertainment industry.

Devil is hard at work in the world

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Phil's context about blacks, I see more as the ignorance of his youth rather than him being racist. I simply think he never re-evaluated the things that he saw and connected the dots. I find it hard to believe that he never saw a black person mistreated, I just don't think he recognized it. And as far as them being "happy," I doubt that was the case, but Phil may have held that belief in what was clearly limited interaction.

And maybe his limited interaction was spot on for the group he was around. Dunno, wasn't there.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

Tactful ? I think old Phil was very kind and soft spoken on this issue...He did not attack anybody. If you think this was an attack, then YOU are overly sensitive. Some of us have spoken more sharply than this at weddings and funerals!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I can tell you that many people who are poor are happy people. Getting more things and more money doesn't really make most people happy. If one watches the show it is obvious that Phil lives below his means. As for the comments about Christianity, well we are prohibited from discussing that on this forum which puts us at a disadvantage to the humanists, atheists and agnostics. It absolutely amazes me that some people can get their panties in a wad because a show like Duck Dynasty exists...Just flip that dial!

Yes..happiness comes from within...often in spite of circumstances!

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The people here that say "hey thats the free market" are forgetting something. There are protected classes in this country, namely minorities of any type, this is enforced by the government in the most important way, the sentencing of people to longer jail times by the use of hate crime charges. We all know this. The media which is on the liberal side, usually, backs this up and enforces it by removing "offenders" from their shows and therefore the money the "offender" earns. A free market would show that people who offend non minority groups (of any kind) would also get removed from their shows and monetary earnings.

A&E does not care what happens to their viewership, in 2 weeks the whole thing will be over, no one will care what channel they are watching and it will be business as usual. Except for one thing, the next guy that thinks about making a statement that may offend a "minority" will probably think twice, but not so with a guy making a crack about a non-minority group. This is how the "agenda" is moved forward, liberal government and liberal media helping pave the way for what they deem is justice.

Yeah, you're right. Govt shouldn't identify "protected" classes, at least in relation to private business. This doesn't involve govt, so there's no issue... unless you're saying you want MORE protected classes, which I assume you do not.

I really think we are past the media as a free market situation. They are so in sync with the Obama administration that they have become an arm of the powers that be. I think, personally, that most of the media is controlled or at least heavily influenced by the same people that are the handlers of the Democratic machine. I am simply not in the know enough to understand how all this works but am certain there is a lot of power behind the scenes. I'm not saying that this issue is on the agenda, it's so small but it's part of the overall agenda of silence and conform that is going on.

The media is supposed to report, not influence to the point of absurdity, thats where we are now. The Government Media Complex.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A&E was around long before the Robertsons appeared and they'll be around long after they've returned to obscurity. Despite Faux news and their cadre of fans best efforts.

Descriptively, you could be referring to FNC/MS/NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN/HLN/HuffPo/WaPo/NYT/LAT/NPR or about any other news source. They're all political whores.

But why the snark? As pithy as snarky sound bites seem, they're not a replacement for intellectual honesty. You know the point being made is that A&E has more to lose from DD than DD has to lose from A&E. Can you honestly deny that?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Descriptively, you could be referring to FNC/MS/NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN/HLN/HuffPo/WaPo/NYT/LAT/NPR or about any other news source. They're all political whores.

But why the snark? As pithy as snarky sound bites seem, they're not a replacement for intellectual honesty. You know the point being made is that A&E has more to lose from DD than DD has to lose from A&E. Can you honestly deny that?
    Nope. A&E will still be making millions after DD is long gone. And the Robertsons will be back to making duck calls and not TV reality shows. Faux could apply to just about any of them beating this particular drum, but the hypocrites at Murdoch's media are the worst of the lot. They've gone off the deep end over this, instead of paying it the attention it deserved. None. Guess there weren't any missing white girls today.

64207_628042600564944_392727255_n.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And maybe his limited interaction was spot on for the group he was around. Dunno, wasn't there.

Possible, but highly unlikely. Being "there," then, or looking back on it now, really doesn't change the tenor of the times

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom