• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is going to get VERY interesting. I just saw a vid of Phil from 2010 (posted by CNN)..... no bueno. They're working hard to burn that guy.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The reason it is number one is because the people are modest and behave in a respectful way to each other, while still managing to be mischievous and entertaining. It is a breath of fresh air from otherwise uncomfortable and rude/crude antics we've become accustomed to from Hollyweird. What is their secret? It is Christianity. If you want to be happy, 'happy, happy', you have got to get some faith.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A&E was around long before the Robertsons appeared and they'll be around long after they've returned to obscurity. Despite Faux news and their cadre of fans best efforts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yup - Hoarders and Storage Wars tee-shirts flying off the shelves

That made me laugh!!
    But actually, I DID see a "Hoarder shirt" in the wild. (Not tons of them merchandised like the DD stuff... just one on an actual person).
    It said "I'm keeping this shirt! ~Hoarders" and it had splotchy smudge marks/stains all over it (on purpose).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A&E was around long before the Robertsons appeared and they'll be around long after they've returned to obscurity. Despite Faux news and their cadre of fans best efforts.

I saw that story the other day where Nazi collaborator George Soros's people declared victory in their war to delegitimize Fox News by calling them Faux News. Well done. You are victorious... no one watches them now.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

True, but then PBS and KET in Louisville have been around forever too, what's your point? Flight 93 the docudrama held the networks record for viewers way back in 2006 until DD came around. Since then anything A&E ever did - before or since Universal and Disney owned them - has been dwarfed in viewer numbers. There's a reason A&E caved last year when Phil walked. It's the same reason they'll cave this time. Time will tell. I have a feeling A&E will find a way out of this and keep the show. For no other reason than $$$. Dog The Bountyhunter sure don't have that kind of pull - he never enjoyed those kind of numbers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A&E was afraid that they might lose sponsors because of Phil's comments. That was a business decision. We should not be surprised that an industry over represented by homosexuals would take such stances. What does surprise me is that they would produce a show like Duck Dynasty in the first place! DD is much of what it is because of Phil's gruff exterior and strong beliefs. If A&E doesn't want to kill the "golden goose" they'll find a way to bring Phil back.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A&E is so embarrassed by Phil's comments, they're going to be having DD marathons starting this weekend and extending through next week.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, they contracted with a bunch of Bible-thumping, gun-toting, duck-calling rednecks, and then are surprised that they are Bible-thumping, gun-toting, duck-calling rednecks?

Personally, I think what's-his name expressed his convictions about as well as anyone could. Paraphrasing: "I don't hate anyone. I just believe differently, and will continue to say what I believe."

And the whole NAACP thing is ridiculous. Talk about taking things completely out of context. And the rest of the media is running the NAACP version, rather than the original. Bias isn't a strong enough word.

As one blogger somewhere said: You know the world is in a terrible place when we throw this guy under the bus, but worship Miley Cyrus.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I will give you this mrjarrell, I like their new series Longmire (I challenge anyone to tell me what the show is about and who the main characters are without searching the internet). I've seen 8 of the 10 episodes on Netflix. Unfortunately I think it's already dead in one season because the ratings were so low. That Bonnie and Clyde two-parter - now that!...flopped too. Did you watch it? Me either.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    From seeing and hearing the opinions of my gay friends (some of them are even Christians), they did not care one bit. If they were offended by it, they'd not watch the show...which none of them did in the first place. The people that are the most offended are those that think they need to fight for everyone else. There are people claiming he was being hateful towards homosexuals. The reality, if you've seen any of his gospels/speaking engagements, he hates the sin not the sinner...including his own from being a drunk, womanizing, druggie. Some are saying he is racist because of his comments about growing up and picking cotton with poor blacks. I'm not sure how saying that they were happy people and that they got along can be considered racist. The real problem is that the majority of people in this country are too stupid and self absorbed making them think that EVERYTHING is automatically their battle.

As for it being a constitutional right, he hasn't been jailed for speaking his mind. He most likely had signed a contract with a clause that allows the network to terminate the contract if they believe actions will hurt the product or network. He still has every right to speak his mind.
    I can tell you that many people who are poor are happy people. Getting more things and more money doesn't really make most people happy. If one watches the show it is obvious that Phil lives below his means. As for the comments about Christianity, well we are prohibited from discussing that on this forum which puts us at a disadvantage to the humanists, atheists and agnostics. It absolutely amazes me that some people can get their panties in a wad because a show like Duck Dynasty exists...Just flip that dial!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, they contracted with a bunch of Bible-thumping, gun-toting, duck-calling rednecks, and then are surprised that they are Bible-thumping, gun-toting, duck-calling rednecks?

Personally, I think what's-his name expressed his convictions about as well as anyone could. Paraphrasing: "I don't hate anyone. I just believe differently, and will continue to say what I believe."

And the whole NAACP thing is ridiculous. Talk about taking things completely out of context. And the rest of the media is running the NAACP version, rather than the original. Bias isn't a strong enough word.

As one blogger somewhere said: You know the world is in a terrible place when we throw this guy under the bus, but worship Miley Cyrus.

Phil's context about blacks, I see more as the ignorance of his youth rather than him being racist. I simply think he never re-evaluated the things that he saw and connected the dots. I find it hard to believe that he never saw a black person mistreated, I just don't think he recognized it. And as far as them being "happy," I doubt that was the case, but Phil may have held that belief in what was clearly limited interaction.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom