Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You might be right. My other bad stage at the match was the classifier. I shot it fine but my reloads sucked. As much as I work those in dry fire they should have been better. I guess I will double down in dry fire, and start working reloads in live fire. Only shot just over a 70% on the classifier. I won't make A this season at that rate.

You won a medal. That means more than a classification.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Starts and stops
    Starts and stops 2
    Moving starts and stops
    Breaking up the starts and stops
    Outer limits
    Pendulum
    5 to go
    6 r s
    6 r w
    Dot torture.
    I did a little work with the dot gun and The Black Belt Standards. :rolleyes:
    I'm going to run through them tomorrow, I'll be lucky to make white belt.
    Keep fouling the draw when I attempt to speed it up.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Trigger Meet Sights 1,2,3
    Front sight turn
    Bill reload Bill
    L to R
    R to L
    Step in
    Move 6, reload 6
    Plate transititons
    LMR
    RML
    Bill Drill
    unloaded table starts, 6
    6 On the move

Carry Gun from Concealment:
    Draws at 7 yards
    3 X2 at 7 yards

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Got the live fire in this morning after the rain and before the heat....perfect
    I did the drills with the carry guns, I suck horribly, no black belt here. I put it in the other thread.
    I did the normal group shooting with the limited gun, no better no worse, I'll keep working on it.
    My range has purchased a plate rack and I did my level best to wear it out today. It was still standing when I left but I think it was glad to see me go.
    I ran the plate drills several times each. I worked my way back to 25 yards.
    I then set up a mini stage and worked on entries and exits . Worked on reducing the time between positions.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Front sight turn
    Bill reload Bill
    L to R
    R to L
    Step in
    Move 6, reload 6
    Plate transititons
    LMR
    RML
    unloaded table starts, 6
    6 On the move

Draws at 7 yards
    3 X2 at 7 yards
    Bill Drill

I threw over 100 pitches of batting practice yesterday before football practice. My arm hurts this afternoon a little bit. I got through DF with the help of icy hot. It is Wednesday and I have not hurt my self doing unloaded table starts yet this week. Tonight was close. I nearly insert a magazine with my finger in the hole. No blood though.

Forgot to do bill drills before changing and guns and gear so I did it last with the back up old carry gun. Wearing a cover garment and sweating more seems so stupid.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Threw 125 "pitches" in batting practice
    Hit 40 ground balls to the short stop
    Football practice that looks a lot like herding cats

Finally:

Front sight turn
    Bill reload Bill
    L to R
    R to L
    Step in
    Move 6, reload 6
    Plate transititons
    LMR
    RML
    Bill Drill
    unloaded table starts, 6
    6 On the move

Draws at 7 yards
    3 X2 at 7 yards

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Night session followed by an early morning session. Hope the progress is happening. Table starts without injury again. Feeling better about that. Thinking of bumping the par time down on Bill reload Bill. Which is exciting because trigger pressing speed is one place I suck.

Front sight turn
    Bill reload Bill
    L to R
    R to L
    Step in
    Move 6, reload 6
    Plate transititons
    LMR
    RML
    Bill Drill
    unloaded table starts, 6
    6 On the move

Draws at 7 yards
    3 X2 at 7 yards

Cover garment still seems stupid every single time.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Night session followed by an early morning session. Hope the progress is happening. Table starts without injury again. Feeling better about that. Thinking of bumping the par time down on Bill reload Bill. Which is exciting because trigger pressing speed is one place I suck.

Front sight turn
    Bill reload Bill
    L to R
    R to L
    Step in
    Move 6, reload 6
    Plate transititons
    LMR
    RML
    Bill Drill
    unloaded table starts, 6
    6 On the move

Draws at 7 yards
    3 X2 at 7 yards

Cover garment still seems stupid every single time.

I just bumped mine down from 4 to 3.9 which I know isn't blisteringly fast, but considering my slow trigger finger it is getting there.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Dot torture
    6r6
    6rs
    6rw
    Stops and starts
    Stops and starts 2
    Moving stops and starts
    Breaking up the stops and starts
    Outer limits
    Pendulum
    5 to go
    Wide transitions

Carry gun
    Draws @ 7
    Bill drills @ 7
    3x2 @ 3
    Draws @ 25

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am using a second shirt and I sweep it back with the strong hand.
    It adds somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5 to a gamer gear draw. Some of that is probably gear related but not much in my estimation.

I always conceal with a closed front shirt and carry on the strong side. I use both hands to grab the base of the shirt and pull it up over the gun. My gun hand goes down to grip. My support hand holds the shirt at chest level until the gun comes up and hands connect. Obviously there is a lot of extra motion to this method and it takes time. It is very reliable, though.

I also try to run my draw through something approximating a high pectoral retention position to make that a consistent part of my draw. Anther time adder.

With those factors, and the significant way my skills have declined, the sub 1 second draw is going to be difficult. Though, all my best improvements usually came from having a more reliable index and picking the sights up faster/earlier in the draw stroke. So... Specific concealment methods may be less an issue than I'm giving it credit.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Second session
    2-12 from Refinement and repetition
    Getting my stuff together for Atlanta tomorrow.

An unrelated observation
    Today's weather is just about as good as it gets in August
    I've spent the entire day either outside or in the garage.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I just bumped mine down from 4 to 3.9 which I know isn't blisteringly fast, but considering my slow trigger finger it is getting there.
    Progress is progress regardless of the times.
    My above par time runs start at 3.3. I go down to 3.0 for below par time. Thinking about bumping to 2.9

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I always conceal with a closed front shirt and carry on the strong side. I use both hands to grab the base of the shirt and pull it up over the gun. My gun hand goes down to grip. My support hand holds the shirt at chest level until the gun comes up and hands connect. Obviously there is a lot of extra motion to this method and it takes time. It is very reliable, though.

I also try to run my draw through something approximating a high pectoral retention position to make that a consistent part of my draw. Anther time adder.

With those factors, and the significant way my skills have declined, the sub 1 second draw is going to be difficult. Though, all my best improvements usually came from having a more reliable index and picking the sights up faster/earlier in the draw stroke. So... Specific concealment methods may be less an issue than I'm giving it credit.

I am mainly doing it the way you describe. I am not paying enough attention to how high I bring the gun to even comment intelligently. I have played around with the open front draw but I find it inconsistent and different shirts are even more inconsistent.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    300 rounds of live fire practice with Limited Gun. Broke the Front sight off the Brazos on the second repetition. Had to switch holsters and guns. At least I had it all with me for a change. I have been making Bill Drills a point of emphasis in dry fire. I hardly ever do them live because it seems like a waste of ammo and I suck at it. I am not will to shoot up the ammo it would take to get really good at this. So I have been trying to get better at it dry. I shot three of them cold. 2.11, 2.05 and 2.02. Normally I am 2.32 seconds. So I called it a victory. There were not any good hits to discuss, but I was pressing trigger faster than I normally do. It is a start.

Worked on shooting on the move for 100 rounds. It went well. I was trying to work at distances that were just beyond my comfort zone. I am hoping to at least be able to hit some targets getting into and out of positions at nationals. I don't expect to get a chance to shoot on the move much there.

I spent 150 rounds shooting at 23 yards at three small poppers and two paper targets. This went pretty well. It got better and better as it went along. If nothing else it was good practice. The last two times out it did not even look like good practice. So calling it a victory.

Unloaded table starts were done 12 times. I shot once per run on a target at 7 yards that was no shoot protected. My first run was 1.87 seconds and the slowest was 1.88. My fastest was 1.59 with a good hit. I had several in the 1.6 range with good hits. I shot the no shoot twice. Both no shoot hits were on runs were I fumbled ****ed the load. I was ok with the way this went. I did not have to bandage my thumb so the no injury streak is intact. But in all fairness I switched to the gun with front cocking serrations to it was easier. I usually hurt myself with the other gun. All the blood probably has weakened the metal.

Did some black belt standards. Some times I am a black belt and some times that ****er gets revoked. Working on being more consistent. Best 3X2 was 1.91 seconds. Worst time clean was 2.26. I did a few with a miss on the head shot, and sometimes I cannot count. It was hot so I shed that stupid cover garment and worked from OC how I normally carry.

Broke out the shotgun and did some work with The Gauge in pump configuration. Worked reloads into the session. Nothing to feel good about there. The shooting before the reload was fine all things considered.

Top Bottom