• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    yep, you're one of the reasons i carry, just so you know, not for the guy beating another guys car to ****....because i know there's people out there looking for a reason to blow.....now THAT would be self defense
    Interesting. I really do not even know what else to say to such a statement.
    You carry a firearm so you can shoot someone that is defending someones property? It makes perfect sense to me.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    Interesting. I really do not even know what else to say to such a statement.
    You carry a firearm so you can shoot someone that is defending someones property? It makes perfect sense to me.

nope, i will never draw down on someone for anything related to property.....worst case maybe if someone was threatening my property by virtue of trespassing, causing imminent danger, life threatened and all that....but in that case lives are threatened, not property......property is replaceable, people are not, that's my moral compass. I can buy new ****, can't buy a new daughter, etc...

what i am saying is i carry because i know there are people like yourself who admittedly said they would actually draw a weapon over a car being vandalized. That is an irresponsible use of a firearm. You have no right to introduce deadly force in a non-deadly situation. People who are irresponsible with firearms are the reason I carry one myself. Responsibility means knowing when to put yourself, as a carrying individual, in a situation or not. I would ask that you do NOT put yourself between a perp and my car with a weapon. Let it go. It's a car.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok here's the facts we know

It's night time & some guy is beating on a car beside the op's

OP's has a direct line of sight out his upstairs window and can
    see (according to his pic) what is happening.

OP decides to not call police and trot on down and outside.
    First two mistakes, not calling PD, and going alone outside while dark not being
    able to see around his environment because of darkness.

OP yells at the BG1 and he runs off,feeling the need to interact some
    more
    since the BG1 ran off, he yells at him again and he turns and
    runs back towards him.
    Mistake 3, yelling at him the second time, you scared him off, why provoke him.

BG1 while running at him gets taken out by BG2 who is evidently a friend.
    BG2 could have been your worst nightmare, you did not know he was around, night time and not
    fully aware of what is going on around your surroundings and being alone, real and serious disadvantage.

You went back inside and still decided to not call your PD even though 1 BG made an attempt to rush you. If I was you, I'd have my head on a swivel for awhile.

What was learned from this whole ordeal.....

OP has shown us a pic from his window, he could have made a call to his local PD and just simply opened up his window and yelled and not put himself at risk and accomplished what he did my walking outside and putting himself in possible harms way.

It's not only what we see that can harm us, it's what we don't see, you did not see the second guy. He could have been your worst nightmare and
    could have changed your life forever and you'd never have a chance to react to it.

See it as you may, but what I see it as is 1 guy who was actually trying to help a friend, that could have been a guy that ended your life without you even having a chance. The 21 foot rule is something to not mess around with and in the dark you do not know what is lurking where you can not see.

My life is not worth a vehicle that can be repaired/replace with insurance. A life is, there was no life endangerment and no need IMHO to risk ones own.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Yes, I know I'm quoting a comic book character, but I've always believed that quote applies to those who choose to carry a firearm. For the same reason one would not escalate a road rage encounter with a complete idiot.

It's our responsibility to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Got to agree with IndyBeerman :yesway::yesway:, should have called cops BEFORE you went outside. If not then, atleast after they left because the perps were out looking for trouble.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok here's the facts we know

It's night time & some guy is beating on a car beside the op's

OP's has a direct line of sight out his upstairs window and can
    see (according to his pic) what is happening.

OP decides to not call police and trot on down and outside.
    First two mistakes, not calling PD, and going alone outside while dark not being
    able to see around his environment because of darkness.

OP yells at the BG1 and he runs off,feeling the need to interact some
    more
    since the BG1 ran off, he yells at him again and he turns and
    runs back towards him.
    Mistake 3, yelling at him the second time, you scared him off, why provoke him.

BG1 while running at him gets taken out by BG2 who is evidently a friend.
    BG2 could have been your worst nightmare, you did not know he was around, night time and not
    fully aware of what is going on around your surroundings and being alone, real and serious disadvantage.

You went back inside and still decided to not call your PD even though 1 BG made an attempt to rush you. If I was you, I'd have my head on a swivel for awhile.

What was learned from this whole ordeal.....

OP has shown us a pic from his window, he could have made a call to his local PD and just simply opened up his window and yelled and not put himself at risk and accomplished what he did my walking outside and putting himself in possible harms way.

It's not only what we see that can harm us, it's what we don't see, you did not see the second guy. He could have been your worst nightmare and
    could have changed your life forever and you'd never have a chance to react to it.

See it as you may, but what I see it as is 1 guy who was actually trying to help a friend, that could have been a guy that ended your life without you even having a chance. The 21 foot rule is something to not mess around with and in the dark you do not know what is lurking where you can not see.

My life is not worth a vehicle that can be repaired/replace with insurance. A life is, there was no life endangerment and no need IMHO to risk ones own.

very well said

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Calling the police may not result in an instantaneous arrival, but at least officers are on notice--with general descriptions--of two idiots [one idiot] up to no good. Maybe the clowns get nabbed down the block.

And then someone else doesn't get their property damaged.

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    In this situation I would have watched like a hawk from the window and observed everything to be as good of a witness I can be while speaking to the PD. If a person was in danger I would have intervened and called PD. The reason I wouldn't act if just a car was getting tore up is no matter if it's mine or a friends I don't want to put my life in jeopardy for it. (example of the second person involved, he could have been armed and caught you suprised and at a disadvantage). I have insurance on my vehicle and would expect someone to have insurance on theirs. I know some folks disagree with people not taking charge and putting a stop to someone punching and kicking other peoples cars, but I won't risk my life for that. I would risk my life to save someone from getting stabbed to death in the car, or getting dragged out and curbed stomped.

IANAL, but if you went out to stop them and had to shoot one of them, couldnt a defense attorney make a pretty good case that you were the instigator of the confrontation since you left your home and confronted the suspects and it wasnt them who came after you?:dunno:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    This thread is funny.

I agree. Lets all just be friends and enjoy the learning experience of other's perspectives. I came to this forum to learn (and talk too!)... just because someone would do something different doesn't mean I wont put that into my repertoire... and it sure doesn't mean they deserve any less than a mature adult conversation. My apologies to anyone I have offended.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I won't judge the OP's actions, but I have several general "rules of engagement" that may apply:

If I observe criminal activity that adversely affects me or an innocent third party, I will generally call 911 if I have an opportunity to do so.

In the event of a perceived or potential threat, I will generally not move from a protected environment to an unprotected environment - particularly at night - absent extremely exigent circumstances (e.g., the immediate need to preserve life or prevent serious bodily injury to an innocent third party).

I will use reasonable force (but not deadly force) to protect property (mine or others') if it is absolutely necessary, although I will generally not put myself into a position where matters may escalate to include the necessary use of a firearm merely to protect property. I say "generally" because I can envision making a lawful citizen's arrest under some circumstances if I observe a felony being committed that involves the theft or destruction of property, and Indiana law allows the pointing of a firearm as part of effecting a lawful citizen's arrest. However, as mentioned, I would not envision leaving a protected environment and entering an unprotected environment - particularly at night - merely to protect property.

In terms of my neighbors, I think the "golden rule" applies, and I wouldn't expect my neighbors to use deadly force (or even the use of a firearm) to protect my property (primarily because it's generally not legal to do so). And I think that expectation should be reciprocal. In this regard, if my neighbors observe my property being damaged or stolen and they immediately call 911, I'll be perfectly content (and probably bake them a nice batch of cookies). I would hope they'd have the same expectation of me.

Again, I'm not advising anyone else what to do or criticizing the OP. I wasn't there.

Guy

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    TacticalFT thank you

You're quite welcome, and thank you for your constructive approach to this conversation.

For future reference, there is another issue that hasn't been addressed yet. In an apartment complex, if you heard this bonehead pounding on the car, it's quite likely that several of your neighbors did too. That means that there's a reasonable probability that someone else may have already called 911 at the time you went outside. A point to ponder: do you really want to be standing around in the exact area of the reported crime (with a gun in your pocket) when the LEOs role up?

That doesn't mean that you're going to get shot or go to jail, and obviously it didn't unfold that way, but it's something else to think about.

Guy

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I won't judge the OP's actions, but I have several general "rules of engagement" that may apply:

If I observe criminal activity that adversely affects me or an innocent third party, I will generally call 911 if I have an opportunity to do so.

In the event of a perceived or potential threat, I will generally not move from a protected environment to an unprotected environment - particularly at night - absent extremely exigent circumstances (e.g., the immediate need to preserve life or prevent serious bodily injury to an innocent third party).

I will use reasonable force (but not deadly force) to protect property (mine or others') if it is absolutely necessary, although I will generally not put myself into a position where matters may escalate to include the necessary use of a firearm merely to protect property. I say "generally" because I can envision making a lawful citizen's arrest under some circumstances if I observe a felony being committed that involves the theft or destruction of property, and Indiana law allows the pointing of a firearm as part of effecting a lawful citizen's arrest. However, as mentioned, I would not envision leaving a protected environment and entering an unprotected environment - particularly at night - merely to protect property.

In terms of my neighbors, I think the "golden rule" applies, and I wouldn't expect my neighbors to use deadly force (or even the use of a firearm) to protect my property (primarily because it's generally not legal to do so). And I think that expectation should be reciprocal. In this regard, if my neighbors observe my property being damaged or stolen and they immediately call 911, I'll be perfectly content (and probably bake them a nice batch of cookies). I would hope they'd have the same expectation of me.

Again, I'm not advising anyone else what to do or criticizing the OP. I wasn't there.

Guy

Well said!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom