• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes. I read in the paper that was the average response time for Lake County and I also heard it on an ILEA pod cast.

I have had this tested real world more times than I care to go into. It takes a long time. That's why when they do get there quick people say - with WIDE EYES - "Wow, you got here quick!?"

I hope my neighbors would look out for my stuff just as I would look out for theirs.

When my neighbor ran over herself with her truck (long story), the police and paramedics were on-scene in four minutes.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Depending on your insurance policy I think if you have comprehensive coverage there may not be a deductible for vandalism. At least that's how it use to be with State Farm. I haven't had a claim in years so I'm not sure if it is still that way. I have a $100 deductible. It helps to be a good driver and stay with the same company forever.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have a $1000 deductible with no rider for vandalism. I have very basic insurance (however it is comprehensive) and pay roughly $1500/year for said coverage.

When my neighbor ran over herself with her truck (long story), the police and paramedics were on-scene in four minutes.

I'd love to hear that one! This entire situation lasted around 30 seconds.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    why in the hell do you have a $1k deductible on auto insurance? That pretty much ensures a good portion of your claims would be a waste of time. See, the claim still counts, but the insurance co. doesn't have to pay anything. You get dinged for having a claim w/ insurance AND get to fork out all of the dough for repairs.

On topic...
    Question: Did you have a flashlight or were you walking from a light environment to a dark environment? It takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust completely to darkness, until then you're working with limited visibility.

Question 2: Playing on the 'what-ifs' in this thread, and twisting a bit, how would you feel if your neighbor heard some dude beating the :poop: outta your car, went outside to scare them off (rather than letting the pros handle it), and got his skull cracked by BG2 who came out of the darkness?

The best way to lower your yearly premium is to take a higher deductible. Statistically it is more probable to file a $1,000 claim than it is a $10,000+ claim. Also, it reduces moral hazard. Finally, you wouldnt (if you were smart) file a claim if it were under $1000 in damage. You'd still file a police report though.

No flashlight, I could see fine. It wasnt as dark as it was in the picture I posted earlier.

I'd feel bad. However, they made the decision to go out, as I did. I think the "mysterious man from the darkness" has been exaggerated a bit. He came out of nowhere, sure, but it was far and in the direction of the guy beating the car. It was unexpected that the drunk guy would get tackled and punched in the face. As I said before I had my back to my front (only) door and didnt make an effort to run out there or near anyone. I could have easily retreated had the situation gone sour.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Try again? How about this:

You know right from wrong? Then practice it. As someone else stated, we used to be able to leave doors unlocked. No longer is that the case. We can't even count on our own neighbors anymore.

Some gun owners go out of their way to be bigger p***ies than they were BEFORE they carried. Just because you carry doesn't mean you are obligated to run away from anything that somewhat sitting in front of a computer might construe as "dangerous."

To me, this is simple "right and wrong" - and trying to help your neighbor and innocent victim is never a bad thing.

In the end, the OP WAS, in fact, armed. Maybe the idiots beating the car were, too. Then again, maybe they weren't. but the OP, we know, WAS armed. THAT, sir, is the advantage here.

Sit back and call the police while my neighbor's car is getting bashed in? Not this guy. Funny how people are so afraid to assist someone from being a victim of crime, yet carry to protect themselves from crime.

And that weapon I carry means I am prepared to save my own life, after trying to protect my neighbor's property, should they take an ill-advised approach towards me after not liking my interference with their bull****.
    well said.
    to OP:
    The character of a man can be judge by his actions. You sir acted selflessly in defense of a neighbor. You put yourself in a situation for someone else and that show the type of character I wish more people had. Thank you. You are more than welcome to in my neighborhood( as long as you change your taste in handguns and quarterbacks LOL)

to the ones who would stay inside and maybe call the PD:
    You are the reason selfdefense instructors tell women to shout FIRE instead of rape.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Well then, I pity your lack of vision sir

Wait.. wait .. I get it...lack of vision, comic books.....

Daredevil_65.jpg

RIGHT? RIGHT? I win right?!

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    So, rape = vandalism :dunno:

You assume too much in your prior assertion.
    No I don't think so. It is simple for me If I see a wrong regardless of the infraction I stand up for the right as I see it. I personally believe that is part of being a man. I travel in many neighborhoods in Indy that have fallen apart over the years because a certain element moves in a takes over by force and no one does anything. The PD won't do anything unless they catch them in the act. They are not going to launch a manhunt for a guy beating a car and the chances that he would be gone before they got there are far greater than him hanging around. Remember vandalism is a gateway crime if not stopped it could lead to chicken rape.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    No I don't think so. It is simple for me If I see a wrong regardless of the infraction I stand up for the right as I see it. I personally believe that is part of being a man. I travel in many neighborhoods in Indy that have fallen apart over the years because a certain element moves in a takes over by force and no one does anything. The PD won't do anything unless they catch them in the act. They are not going to launch a manhunt for a guy beating a car and the chances that he would be gone before they got there are far greater than him hanging around. Remember vandalism is a gateway crime if not stopped it could lead to chicken rape.

You are.......

The Batman.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Edbean, A friend of mine told me along time ago, "Do what you think is right, and don't look back". You obviously did what you thought was right, so don't worry about what other people think of your decision. There are people that will think that you should have been carrying a 1911 instead of a Glock, there are people that will think that you should have open carried instead of concealed, there are people that think you should have stayed in your apartment, bottom line is, we all learn from our choices, maybe next time you you might do it differently. Just do what YOU think is right and don't look back.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Edbean, A friend of mine told me along time ago, "Do what you think is right, and don't look back". You obviously did what you thought was right, so don't worry about what other people think of your decision. There are people that will think that you should have been carrying a 1911 instead of a Glock, there are people that will think that you should have open carried instead of concealed, there are people that think you should have stayed in your apartment, bottom line is, we all learn from our choices, maybe next time you you might do it differently. Just do what YOU think is right and don't look back.

Wait wait, I got this one....

Youre friend was UncleBen, and that makes you Peter Parker!

This thread is awesome.

Top Bottom