• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I always carry when I'm out walking. The other night I was almost attacked by a loose dog. The dog charged me from out of nowhere so I pulled my glock 19 with a utac 200 lumens light on it aimed started yelling get back and the thing kept coming. I turned my strobe setting on and it stopped dead in its tracks. Luckily I didn't have to pull the trigger. Now I always bring my light on evening walks.

^This is the way to go right here.

Most dogs will stop with aggressive yelling, fake rock throwing (or real rock) and standing your ground. At least this has been my experience in many, many cases (former H.S running, avid hiker, and walker with the family).

But you always worry about that one beast which is either rabid, or doesn't fall for the "I'm the bigger dog" trick.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    No question that these dogs would have been dead if I was in her shoes. I also would have made my holstered pistol visible once the lady decided to wield a baseball bat at me. At that point I don't believe drawing down would have been necessary as I'm sure her recognizing the pistol would make her think twice about advancing....and if not :draw:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Its tough to say what anyone would really do until they are put in that position. However I personally wouldn't have shot those dogs, simply because after the woman came out onto a public street wielding a baseball bat, she wouldn't of had the opportunity to get the dogs.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What happens when one or more of the bullets or fragments shot exits the dog(s) or misses, only to find an innocent bystander? What about using the mic to hit the dogs; running and jumping a fence; or even running onto a porch and using a bladed instrument? I cannot see using a gun in this instance.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    What happens when one or more of the bullets or fragments shot exits the dog(s) or misses, only to find an innocent bystander? What about using the mic to hit the dogs; running and jumping a fence; or even running onto a porch and using a bladed instrument? I cannot see using a gun in this instance.

I can understand your concern about bullet fragments hitting a bystander, but on the other hand, I'm not going to rely on a microphone to fend off two dogs especially considering the risk you run getting your arm latched onto while swinging the mic at them. Also, how many people in a residential area leave a bladed instrument just laying around on their porch???

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Just show them one of your .45's....that ought to scare 'em off.:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever tried to outrun a dog? I have. Dogs can really haul ***. If you think you can outrun a medium-sized dog, you're sadly mistaken. My old border collie used to be able to literally run circles around me when I was running hard. Besides ... what if someone's knees suck like mine do now?

I can understand your concern about bullet fragments hitting a bystander, but on the other hand, I'm not going to rely on a microphone to fend off two dogs especially considering the risk you run getting your arm latched onto while swinging the mic at them. Also, how many people in a residential area leave a bladed instrument just laying around on their porch???

You don't carry a knife?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever tried to outrun a dog? I have. Dogs can really haul ***. If you think you can outrun a medium-sized dog, you're sadly mistaken. My old border collie used to be able to literally run circles around me when I was running hard. Besides ... what if someone's knees suck like mine do now?

You don't carry a knife?

And you might be (like me) a bit out of shape and not up to the run. I can still get going but the stopping thing really sucks.

Good points on trying to hit a running dog in a residential area.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    I was thinking about this the other day. Walking with my wife and 2 year old daughter in her stroller in my neighborhood noticed 2 dogs sitting outside of a nearby house. Did not look to be chained or contained in any way. My wife is terrified because of the dog attacking a child in stroller a year ago or so downtown Indy. If the dogs would have started to bark and rush towards us. Would that also be justified? In this case should I shoot to kill or hope they decide not to attack with a warning shot.

I was carrying my Shield 40 so I only have 7 rounds. Thoughts?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Yes the women with the dogs was wrong, and yes i would have shot the dogs. That being said, it was not difficult for me to watch a reporter get attacked while running away screaming. For the most part they come off as arrogant, pushy jerks that will do anything for a story and in all honesty, getting attacked by dogs is just one of the risks that comes with the job. I bet the next time someone tells her to leave them alone and go away, she will think twice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Seen a lot of dogs shot, have yet to see a bullet fragment wound anyone else. At the angle she'd have been shooting, I don't see that as much of a worry.

If you outrun a dog, the dog let you win. Fleeing tends to make them see you as prey, though, you've started to escalate the situation. Stabbing? Pass. That gives up a tactical advantage of reach vs an animal that can lunge and stick sharp teeth in your face, plus it just looks worse. There is a very real psychological difference to a stabbing over a shooting, and it shouldn't be discounted.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I can speak from experience and can say that would be a justifiable knifing and police said i should have been carrying a gun so i am guessing that shootin it would be cool with the police and crim. justice system

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Yes the women with the dogs was wrong, and yes i would have shot the dogs. That being said, it was not difficult for me to watch a reporter get attacked while running away screaming. For the most part they come off as arrogant, pushy jerks that will do anything for a story and in all honesty, getting attacked by dogs is just one of the risks that comes with the job. I bet the next time someone tells her to leave them alone and go away, she will think twice.

But it wasn't the dogs that were ignorant trash. If you shoot the dogs, the woman will just get more dogs and ruin them. Stop the actual threat.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Law Enforcement routinely send dogs up against WELL armed individuals, and the dog almost ALWAYS wins. I'm going to take every "advantage" I can if someone sics their dog on me.

You won't outrun a dog.
    You won't out-jump a dog.
    If you go hand (knife)-to-teeth, you will get bit.
    You'd actually be lucky to get a shot off.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

How many leave a gun on their porch? :n00b: I'm suggesting there are other instruments for personal defense one should have on them, besides a gun. How about a folding and fixed-blade knife and a flashlight, perhaps?

What if you miss the dog entirely and strike and kill a pedestrian? What would be your next course of action?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Law Enforcement routinely send dogs up against WELL armed individuals, and the dog almost ALWAYS wins. I'm going to take every "advantage" I can if someone sics their dog on me.

You won't outrun a dog.
    You won't out-jump a dog.
    If you go hand (knife)-to-teeth, you will get bit.
    You'd actually be lucky to get a shot off.

Well, if you look at the Tueller Drill, someone would almost have to have the gun in hand to try to get a shot off on a dog. If a human attacker can clear 21 feet in 1.5 seconds, how fast is a dog clearing it?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

You don't carry a knife?

I'm speaking specifically about what was presented on the video. The reporter had plenty of time to jump on a fence, didn't she? Although I can't determine if the dogs were in attack mode or simply playing, I can see there was the opportunity for her to get up a fence.

Top Bottom