• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You're way overreaching anything I'm trying to convey... I think my words are coming out in Swahili on that end.
    Bottom line: Reporter had no way of knowing WHAT those dogs were going to do, and any defensive action she took would have been justified.
    Yes it would have been. I'm not arguing that fact at all, nor have I ever.

I'm simply saying that shooting is not the route that I would have taken or advised in the situation.

However, Had she been familiar with dog behavior then she would have known what they were going to do.

They barked. Bark = threat, bite = intent

Hence, bark = no shoot

She did NOT know in the sense that she wasn't familiar with dog behavior. So, we simply interpreting "know" differently and I was assimilating what I know to what she "knows."

:twocents:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If dog were attacking me, I would probably shoot it.

However, the Chicago Police Department policy on shooting [STRIKE]dogs[/STRIKE] puppies is probably not the model to follow. :draw:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I was thinking about this the other day. Walking with my wife and 2 year old daughter in her stroller in my neighborhood noticed 2 dogs sitting outside of a nearby house. Did not look to be chained or contained in any way. My wife is terrified because of the dog attacking a child in stroller a year ago or so downtown Indy. If the dogs would have started to bark and rush towards us. Would that also be justified? In this case should I shoot to kill or hope they decide not to attack with a warning shot.

I was carrying my Shield 40 so I only have 7 rounds. Thoughts?

Yeah, get a 9mm. :laugh:

------------------------------

There are a lot of people here who think that because they can legally do something, that means they should, a lot of folks that have a very cavalier attitude about killing things, and a lot of folks that have a twisted view of the law that I hope never lands you in trouble.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, get a 9mm. :laugh:

Negative Rep! :noway:

There are a lot of people here who think that because they can legally do something, that means they should, a lot of folks that have a very cavalier attitude about killing things, and a lot of folks that have a twisted view of the law that I hope never lands you in trouble.

Positive Rep! :yesway:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If it was just me, I'd probably not shoot unless he bit me. I figure it would be worth one bite not to have to worry about justification.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, I'm not sure what would happen if your wife did that, but I don't understand the woman's grief, one bit. The reporter was there to do a story, informing the woman that the kid that shot her daughter had turned himself in. She decided to act a fool and should be in jail, right next to the kid that shot her daughter. I'm not sure what kind of grief she was displaying. She could have simply stayed in the house.

Yes, she could have just went inside.

Stupid people acting in stupid ways. If this is the way she raised her daughter who knows what all that was about. Sad, yes. But with that as a role model the child was 2 strikes at birth.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I shot my neighbor's dog when it attacked me. It was in the air, in mid leap when I drew and got the shot off. A bystander was behind the dog, but I was able to twist to the side and change the angle of the shot to miss her.
    As for ricochets, Silvertips seem to blow up when they hit the ground.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    You mean "would have been", since no actual shooting took place? English tense is important. Otherwise, it sounds like you're saying the attack by the lunatic bat lady on the innocent news crew, which actually happened, was justified.

I believe Hoosier Cowboy was referring to the post above theirs being justified.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When my son was a baby my wife was carrying him between the house and the car and a neighbors dog went after her. A Golden (had never seen a aggressive Golden). I heard her screaming. I grabbed a pellet rifle and popped it in the head. Clear and safe shot. It did not drop the dog but it stopped him. Their kids came screaming "You shot my dog' They called the police on me. Cop came out. I told him it was not the first time the dog was a threat to us. That is why I had the pellet gun.

The cop told them and me it was lucky I did not have a rifle or a hand gun because they would be dragging home a dead dog. I asked him what to do if I shot the dog with my 22(I bought the next day) he said bury him if they did not come get it. If I shot it on my property I did not need to call the police but if it was off my property I should let them know about the discharge and where the carcass was. I live in the county. I would not hesitate to drop a threating animal if the shot was safe. Key word SAFE! As far as I am concerned someone that puts a dog on me is using a weapon. and situation would be treated as such.

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Negative Rep! :noway:

Positive Rep! :yesway:

I'm a little upset that I didn't get any ACTUAl negative rep :(

----------------------------------------------

Some of you continue to be ridiculous. This whole you dunno the dogs so you dunno the intentions thing is ludicrous. I saw a stranger walking toward me hastily the other night, and he happened to be OC'ing. I dunno what his intentions were. Some of you here, I fear, would say that he was a threat and should have been treated as such (neutralized).

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot my neighbor's dog when it attacked me. It was in the air, in mid leap when I drew and got the shot off. A bystander was behind the dog, but I was able to twist to the side and change the angle of the shot to miss her.
    As for ricochets, Silvertips seem to blow up when they hit the ground.

No doubt it was justified.

I believe Hoosier Cowboy was referring to the post above theirs being justified.
    Ah. That being the case, I retract my previous statement.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I'm a little upset that I didn't get any ACTUAl negative rep :(

----------------------------------------------

Some of you continue to be ridiculous. This whole you dunno the dogs so you dunno the intentions thing is ludicrous. I saw a stranger walking toward me hastily the other night, and he happened to be OC'ing. I dunno what his intentions were. Some of you here, I fear, would say that he was a threat and should have been treated as such (neutralized).

Was the guy pulling the gun and charging you while aiming the gun at you....? Or was he just strolling, sniffing and wagging his tail. Your examples are ludicrous. Guy charging and pointing a gun at you.......threat. Dog wagging its tail, walking at you with tongue hanging out...not a threat......Its not rockect science.....at least to most here at INGO.....still seems to elude the few though.

Top Bottom