• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    Seen a lot of dogs shot, have yet to see a bullet fragment wound anyone else. At the angle she'd have been shooting, I don't see that as much of a worry.

If you outrun a dog, the dog let you win. Fleeing tends to make them see you as prey, though, you've started to escalate the situation. Stabbing? Pass. That gives up a tactical advantage of reach vs an animal that can lunge and stick sharp teeth in your face, plus it just looks worse. There is a very real psychological difference to a stabbing over a shooting, and it shouldn't be discounted.

^^^^^this +1 :yesway:

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    Also, at the angle you would be shooting at those dogs (unless it ricochets off the asphalt) I don't believe any bystanders would be in harms way unless they're laying on the ground behind the animals. All in all, my point is that I'm not going to let the dogs gain a tactical advantage by closing the gap on me, especially if there are multiple attackers. If I can get my shots off in time then I'm taking them before I resort to close combat with a knife.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    OK

Pits aren't that big of a breed. They're heads are huge which often makes them seem bigger than they are, but their average breed size is in the 50lb range, give or take.

I'm not really sure how you see that as play behavior. They chased, attacked, bit, and scratched. My dog bites when he's attacking and doesn't when he's playing. :dunno:

I watched that video five more times, I just don't see an attack. The moron that let the dogs out may have thought she was going to see those dogs attack, but that didn't happen. They may have mouthed her and jumped on her, but if they wanted to destroy her they had every opportunity, yet they didn't. They looked a lot like stupid puppies to me. Just my opinion. I have had dogs come at me and these two thought they were playing a game, IMO. Remember, not all dogs are as well raised as yours. BTW if a Pitt wanted to chase a white girl in high heels down and destroy her they surely would.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    There was time to climb

I'm speaking specifically about what was presented on the video. The reporter had plenty of time to jump on a fence, didn't she? Although I can't determine if the dogs were in attack mode or simply playing, I can see there was the opportunity for her to get up a fence.

the fence. There is just a lot of people that want to kill dogs in this thread. I kid, I kid. Personally if a cat comes at me it is over with, I have no use for those devil spawned POS. I dare any of you to sick your cats on me, the G26 will roar, actually the boot will cause I probably wont be able to hit one of those crafty bastards.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm speaking specifically about what was presented on the video. The reporter had plenty of time to jump on a fence, didn't she? Although I can't determine if the dogs were in attack mode or simply playing, I can see there was the opportunity for her to get up a fence.

Why should she have to flee and jump fences? She's not the one who was in the wrong from what I could tell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Climb a fence....really, in a tight knee hugging dress outfit and those shoes.
    That would have caused her more harm than the dogs.

Playing, not really...attacking...could have been worse. They pursued and escalated as they did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why should she have to flee and jump fences? She's not the one who was in the wrong from what I could tell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

the dogs were off property, why should the woman be or even feel threatened. Where in the heck is that coming from. She was on a public sidewalk for crying out loud.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've never seen a dog get shot. I've seen bullets miss the intended target and hit other people, though. I've also had to run from many dogs in my life. I've seen people continually miss a standing piece of steel from seven yards away. So, I wonder how many people can actually hit a target that is moving as fast as a dog, without missing? If you are confident the bullet will not ricochet off the ground, fine. I was just exploring other options.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sunday afternoon I went on a bike ride. I was 15 miles away from home, out on a country road. When I ride my bicycle, I never carry a gun or a knife. I also wear a bright snug running shirt, and bicycle shorts underneath gym shorts.

I noticed a Golden Retriever sitting on a porch at this house. I didn't give it a second thought. Next thing I know, he's running at me, barking and growling. I hauled ass. I'm up to 15 miles an hour on my bicycle, and I can feel the dogs hot breath on my right leg.

I know I didn't outrun him, he let me go. And I have never been that scared before. I rode a mile and a half away, and got off my bike. I was drenched, exhausted, legs rubbery. I honestly thought I was going to have to call my wife to pick me up.

Thoughts were racing in my head. What if that dog grabbed my leg? I WISHED I had my gun. BUT, I then realized there was NO way I would have been able to shoot while on my bike, and it would have been too late once I was off the bike.

Moral of my story? Sometimes you just gotta haul ass and pray.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The irony of the whole thing is, the liberal media are always protecting people like the dog owner, and now it came back to bite her in the a$$. Yes I would have shot the dogs, and at a minimum held the owner at gun point until the police arrived.

My wife and I walk our neighborhood almost nightly, and I carry a little pocket .380 for this very reason. We have had 2 close calls with unrestrained dogs coming at us. It was after the 2nd incident that I started carrying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never seen a dog get shot. I've seen bullets miss the intended target and hit other people, though. I've also had to run from many dogs in my life. I've seen people continually miss a standing piece of steel from seven yards away. So, I wonder how many people can actually hit a target that is moving as fast as a dog, without missing? If you are confident the bullet will not ricochet off the ground, fine. I was just exploring other options.

Good points. Always look for options before shooting.

The whole issue in this is why that crazy woman threw rocks, sick the dogs and had a bat. I did not see the bat but still, there are racial undertones in this with here statement (White "B") and her actions.
    I understand her grief but let my wife do that same thing to a black reporter and news crew......well, you know what would happen then.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

The whole issue in this is why that crazy woman threw rocks, sick the dogs and had a bat. I did not see the bat but still, there are racial undertones in this with here statement (White "B") and her actions.
    I understand her grief but let my wife do that same thing to a black reporter and news crew......well, you know what would happen then.

No, I'm not sure what would happen if your wife did that, but I don't understand the woman's grief, one bit. The reporter was there to do a story, informing the woman that the kid that shot her daughter had turned himself in. She decided to act a fool and should be in jail, right next to the kid that shot her daughter. I'm not sure what kind of grief she was displaying. She could have simply stayed in the house.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    An incident like this happened awhile back when a black woman set her pit bull on a female animal control officer in what I believe was California.The animal control officer had went to the woman's house after a complaint was received about the dog.The dog severely injured the animal control officer. The woman was subsequently arrested and charged with felony assault. Don't know what the disposition was.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Well everyone can pretend they don't know what would happen.
    But most likely your wife would be labled a racist, and if it was "spun" the right way in the media, you could have Jesse Jackson and Al sharpton hanging around stirring the pot.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I agree that no one, not even Usain Bolt could have out run those dogs.
    My son (who has trained all through high school) can run a 50 second 400 meter and my german shorthair runs circles around him.
    It's not even a contest.

Also, I read the whole thread and no one mentioned the following:
    THAT REPORTER WAS D U M B.
    She did absolutely everything wrong.
    She flailed her arms.
    She turned he back on the dogs.
    She ran from the dogs...Well actually more like running in circles. ;)
    In short, she did everything possible to look like prey.
    She needs to study up on dog behavior.
    If I were in her situation without a gun I would have been very still, always facing the dogs (whatever you do, don't get surrounded), and back slowly away.
    If the dogs keep advancing I would try yelling loudly.
    If you appear to be a threat instead of prey, it will at least buy some time while the dogs figure out whether you are scary or not.

And yes, it was OK to shoot IMO.
    However, I totally agree with Que.
    Considering the size of the dogs (small) and them NOT holding still, you could expend a lot of ammo before hitting either one of them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    She did absolutely everything wrong.

Big deal.
    She was still *not* trespassing on private property.

So what if she didn't know "dog chase protocol".
    Being ignorant of a procedure or method does not warrant having dogs sic'd on you in a public street or on a public sidewalk. Period.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That wasn't an "attack."

That was a dog listening to its owner and trying to scare something. Once the lady showed those dogs the fear they were seeking it simply motivated them to continue and follow her.

No bullets needed in the dog. Simply a broken jaw will teach it a lesson. OR in her case a heel to the eye. :): :twocents:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Dog owner = Still in the wrong.
    Indeed, but personally that wouldn't warrant shooting the dog. This of course is my opinion based on my personal experience but if someone felt their life was actually threatened and had no other means to defend then by all means.

Personally, I don't see their behavior as violent, just defensive. They didn't lunge for her, grab her ankles and try to pull her down, etc. They were simply barking and following. Trying to scare as ordered. :twocents:

Top Bottom