• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I love to see all you AR "experts" recommending new AR owners spend $2500 on their first gun.

However, they shouldn't be buying that DD Noveske LMT Colt. They should be buying a Radical, $1500 worth of ammo, and $500 worth of training. Once they jump through those hoops, you won't have to recommend much at all.
    As I love it when someone who doesn't know who he's talking to or about, says the exact opposite. I DO NOT oppose training at all, but I do oppose cheap, junk rifles/parts, they are NOT all the same. $1500 worth of ammo, and a $500 training class does no one any good, if the platform won't function the whole way through the class! As I've said before, I've sat on the line at several carbine courses that cost me hundreds of dollars, waiting for the instructor or someone to unf*** a "just as good as" rifle. A couple of times, the "jaga" couldn't be fixed, and the said offender was loaned a QUALITY rifle to finish the class. One time, my backup, another time, the instructor's rifle. I really don't care what anyone buys/builds, INGO is made up of compromises, and excuses, look at the threads. JAGA, isn't, and with that, I'm also out.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Some of us buy an AR-15 that is within our present budget, and we don't expect to go to Hell and back with it, just do some shooting. I have a Del Ton AR, and I paid around 675 or so for it, but it shoots well and seems to be a fairly decent rifle. I bought spare parts and such from Del Ton, so if I have some issues, at least I will have some replacement stuff to fall back on.

I would like to buy a higher-end AR soon, but right now the money is just not there.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Personally my favorite is the guy who buys the top tier rifle and optic but can't shoot for ****.Like the guy who shows up to a band audition with a $5000 Les Paul and Marshall full stack but can't play anything but power chords.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm still in the 'using cheap rifle learning to shoot stage'. Based on the experienced shooters I find myself surrounded by, I suspect I will be stuck in this rut until I am dead. I'm ok with that. :)

Now if everyone would just buy AK's, we wouldn't have these 'Which AR is better' threads :D :D :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm still in the 'using cheap rifle learning to shoot stage'. Based on the experienced shooters I find myself surrounded by, I suspect I will be stuck in this rut until I am dead. I'm ok with that. :)Now if everyone would just buy AK's, we wouldn't have these 'Which AR is better' threads :D :D :D
    Not sure we have enough room in the landfills for all of those trash can guns ;)

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have seen someone in an advanced level course not know how to remove the bolt from his top tier ar. Having to watch him struggle with that was painful. Training and quality function gear goes hand in hand.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    So, some in this thread have bashed people for buying expensive weapons, but getting no training. Then, a guy is bashed because he bought the expensive rifle AND advanced training, but for struggling with his bolt.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    So, some in this thread have bashed people for buying expensive weapons, but getting no training. Then, a guy is bashed because he bought the expensive rifle AND advanced training, but for struggling with his bolt.

yep. I am bashing him because he couldn't perform one of the most basic tasks of an AR in an advanced level course. And it's not that he struggled with it, it's that he didn't know how to do it

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Just curious, is the rifle a BCM if it just has a couple BCM parts in it....

I was wondering this as well. I'm in the process of building a new ar, i got a psa billet uper and lower set (junk i guess, but i got them for basically free) and i want to know if just putting a bcm barrel and bcg in it would make it bcm worthy?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was wondering this as well. I'm in the process of building a new ar, i got a psa billet uper and lower set (junk i guess, but i got them for basically free) and i want to know if just putting a bcm barrel and bcg in it would make it bcm worthy?

AR receivers undergo very little stress, especially the lowers. AK's are much harder on receivers. Usually if they fail, it will be around the pivot pin on the lower, or at the threads on the upper. And the holes for the trigger and hammer pins *might* eventually become enlarged. Unless you have a receiver that has been known to fail, they are usually prone to longer life than the BCG and barrel. The miscellaneous handguards have varying degrees of strength when assembled. So do your homework on that. Gas tubes are actually the weak link in rapid fire situations, but as long as you aren't doing a bunch of mag dumps in a row, a quality one will last a very long time.

So the question becomes how well do you assemble it? That will make the biggest difference in upper receiver quality beyond barrel/BCG selection.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Billet isn't any better than forged. It is just for better looks really. When I first learned this it blew my mind because billet is so much more expensive so you'd expect it to be a durability thing but nope it's cosmetic. It's a sales ploy.
    buying a good barrel and BCG is a great idea. Look at BA Hansen (one of the best accuracy guarantees on the market) and also Daniel defense barrels. Me I'd go with BA hansen or BCM. Also BCG, there are many options. This is an important one. Spikes, BCM, fail zero, Daniel defense. There are lots of worthy options. A good upper receiver is very important. They aren't all created equal and it does handle a lot of stresses. You can find lots of examples of uppers that fail because they didn't use the best material or they were out of spec ect. I think you will be just fine with what you have as long as it is assempled correctly. "Season" your upper threads properly. And torq to spec. Have fun.
    i don't think all PSA is crap for the record and even said so.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Billet isn't any better than forged. It is just for better looks really. When I first learned this it blew my mind because billet is so much more expensive so you'd expect it to be a durability thing but nope it's cosmetic. It's a sales ploy.
    buying a good barrel and BCG is a great idea. Look at BA Hansen (one of the best accuracy guarantees on the market) and also Daniel defense barrels. Me I'd go with BA hansen or BCM. Also BCG, there are many options. This is an important one. Spikes, BCM, fail zero, Daniel defense. There are lots of worthy options. A good upper receiver is very important. They aren't all created equal and it does handle a lot of stresses. You can find lots of examples of uppers that fail because they didn't use the best material or they were out of spec ect. I think you will be just fine with what you have as long as it is assempled correctly. "Season" your upper threads properly. And torq to spec. Have fun.
    i don't think all PSA is crap for the record and even said so.
    Sound advice TT. I've used a number of BA barrels and have been quite pleased with them. I also decided to give one of their BCG''s a shot. The specs listed on their website appear to hit all the marks in what you want in a BCG and the price is worth giving it a trial. Time will tell. I've said previously, there are other quality options to consider out there and you've named a few. :yesway:

Top Bottom