• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can have a Taurus.....Or you can have a Colt 6920 and a boat load of ammo and mags, Larue UU, or LWRC DI.

MMgZtG6h.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not gonna beat up anyone with a Taurus, but I will admit that many years ago when I was 18 I think. I bought a taurus version of the Beretta M9. I'm almost ashamed to admit it was all chrome and had wood grips too. Lol. I was a noob then and had ZERO knowledge on civilian firearms and what a quality firearm was. I will add that when the MAIN selling point of a firearm is that they have a great warranty and repair program, run away!
    Have mercy on me :):

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm not gonna beat up anyone with a Taurus, but I will admit that many years ago when I was 18 I think. I bought a taurus version of the Beretta M9. I'm almost ashamed to admit it was all chrome and had wood grips too. Lol. I was a noob then and had ZERO knowledge on civilian firearms and what a quality firearm was. I will add that when the MAIN selling point of a firearm is that they have a great warranty and repair program, run away!

I am my firearms' warranty and repair program. Not that I've needed to utilize me, but I'm there if I need me.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

I had a couple of those way back in the day. They always shot well and I never had any problems with them. I actually liked the frame mounted safety better than the slide mounted one on the Beretta. Had a couple of the PT-58 .380 versions as well. I'd love to have one of those again for general plinking when 22 is out of stock or being price gouged.

Interesting thing about the Tauri of that day, they crossed serial numbers between models. Found this out one day when the Sheriff showed up at my door asking me about a stolen PT-92. I had bought it used at a gun show a few years prior. Got tired of it and sold it to a friend, who in turn sold it to a guy he worked with about 6 months later. That guy sold it to someone who shouldn't have had it and got picked up for a DWI. Gun came back as stolen. They back traced it all the way to me, hence the knock on the door. I told the Sheriff I sold it and who to, he said he knew and that's how he got my name and address. I told him I'd get him the receipt from the shop I bought it from. Showed it to him and he said it was fine. I told him I'd bring it into the office so they could have a copy but I didn't want to give up the original. He said that would be okay as well. After A while I followed up on it and finally saw the report from the guy that filed it as stolen.

The paper said it was a Taurus PT-92 in .380. Everything else matched up perfectly with the description of my gun. I told them that they needed to double check on that because there was no such thing as a PT-92 in .380. I called Taurus and it was confirmed that they reuse serial numbers across different models. The police checked with the guy and he confirmed that it was indeed a .380 and not a 9mm. He didn't have the box or any paperwork when he filed the report so he got the model number wrong. Turns out that it wasn't 'my' gun that was stolen after all, it was a PT-58 with the same serial number. I couldn't get the gun back because I sold it to a friend who was legal to have it, same thing with the rest of the crew all the way to the guy that was a prohibited person and got it taken away from him. I have no idea what ever happened to it since had no one to give it back to.

I always tried to keep track of my receipts, but after this incident I was much more diligent about it. I keep everything now, even for things that are long gone. I still have the receipt for that gun in a folder with the rest of them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Taurus had several excellent values: The M-82, M-83, M-85 and the PT-92.

I bought a M-82 for $160 with tax with my Galyan's discount. Those were fantastic guns for the geld.

Today . . . I have another opinion.:D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Taurus had several excellent values: The M-82, M-83, M-85 and the PT-92.

I bought a M-82 for $160 with tax with my Galyan's discount. Those were fantastic guns for the geld.

Today . . . I have another opinion.:D

I've got an Interarms Import Rossi M92 in 44 magnum in here right now.....No plastic follower, no goofy safety, no grit and grind when you work the lever....For all intents and purpose it's a modern Winchester M92...Nothing like the gritty ones they sell now....I have had early Rossi's and Taurus in here that would hold their own against any revolver....

I don't know what happened but yeah you're right...they ain't what they used to be....

I believe Interarms held the manufacturers to a higher standard when they were the importer...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've got an Interarms Import Rossi M92 in 44 magnum in here right now.....No plastic follower, no goofy safety, no grit and grind when you work the lever....For all intents and purpose it's a modern Winchester M92

Is it for sale or just on display in the museum?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm in the middle of an Aero build. Amazing fit of upper/lower-- better than my DD, actually.

I'm right now spending a lot of time thinking about where it makes sense to spend money. There are lots of things in AR world that you can spend money on without getting much (if anything) in return for the premium above generic mil-spec.

Mil spec triggers suck at pretty much everything except durability. Every penny you spend in trigger upgrades gets you nearly zero in reliability or durability. For a match rifle, that $300 trigger is surely worth considering. For a combat or duty rifle or SHTF EOTWAWKI rifle? Save the money. Or go cheap with an ALG or similar.

Buttstocks, too. Spend as much as it takes to get a well-made one. More adjustments and screws and "features" are often failure points. Maybe a basic fixed A2 isn't so bad? The new BCM looks like a winner and is only $60.

Do you really need a $300 handguard full floated and all that? Yes, if you have to have ultimate accuracy. But if you are OK with minute-of-man, probably a basic USGI arrangement will suffice. This is an easy area to save some cash.

Likewise with muzzle devices. Everyone has a favorite. But you will never beat an A2 birdcage for effectiveness-per-dollar. As a flash hider, it works. And if you *need* a brake on a 5.56 gas gun, you probably need to work on recoil management.

Where to spend money then? IMO, barrel, bolt, bcg, and gas block is the place to splurge enough to get a good one. Arguably, you need not go big dollar on the barrel. Maybe a Faxon is just as good as that $300 FNH. But there's a world of difference in reliability history between them. Maybe that's worth it.

Gas blocks seem to be an endless source of function problems. Get a good one that's installed PROPERLY and you'll not regret it.

Another place to spend money is probably opting for an A5 buffer setup. The improvement in dwell (and hence reliability) is great, and shooting smoothness is way better. Score one for a system that offers really no downside but cost. And with the BCM A5 setup, it's hardly a big-spending endeavor.

Every build I attempt in the future will have A5.

Likewise, if you this is a hell-and-back rifle, you can't pretend your Bushnell TRS-25 is as tough as an Aimpoint. And your irons better be decent ones that can be trusted absolutely. Yes, troys weigh more, but if you can't aim, you can't hit. Don't cheap on the irons.

The converse is also true. For a plinking toy, that Primary arms or Strike Eagle is just fine. Plastic MBUS are OK. No doubt, that faxon barrel will serve well.

ARs are like tires-- one that is setup to be the ultimate in one thing will suck at the others. Race slicks suck in wet weather. Off road tires are loud and don't last. A cheap rifle isn't the toughest or most durable or the most reliable.

We've all heard that maxim about "fast, good, or cheap, pick 2."

But in the AR world, it's "weight, accuracy, reliability, or cost, pick 3"

Sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness..

Top Bottom