• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It's hard to be fat with a gluten disorder, everything I love is full of gluten and it keeps me fat but it makes me sick. I can't hardly drink a beer without a tummy ache, but I need the beer to be brave enough to shoot my Anderson so maybe my Anderson adds to my gluten issues and so one could say that if my gluten disorder make me crap, and the airspeed velocity of a laden European swallow is factored, that the gluten in my beer may be directly linked to my Anderson and there fore Visa vis concordingly is actually abstractly crap that I release after drinking and shooting

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not to take a perfectly INGO thread and put it back on topic, but..

I don't see how what someone wants to buy is any business of mine. If they think their Del-Ton sport is just as good as my DD, that's just fine with me. No need to get defensive and try to justify the mint for a DD. I spent my money how I perceive value-- and you can do the same.

You see this stuff with optics too. One guy feels a need to justify his Kahles by bagging on the guy who bought the Strike Eagle. And the Strike Eagle guys likes to pretend he's somehow so much smarter for not buying that "overpriced" optic.

Likewise for the 'you-overpaid-because-you-bought-instead-of-built' crowd. If I don't think I overpaid, I didn't. What it's worth is between buyer and seller. And unless you are one of those with me, I can't see how its any business of yours.

The common thread here is somebody who paid more feels the need to justify it, just as someone who paid less feels the need to justify that as well.

For those who feel the need to criticize someone else's choices: get over it. If you really think they are making a terrible mistake, take them to the range and let them witness how inferior their choices are compared to yours. I betcha you won't change their mind.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

I don't see how what someone wants to buy is any business of mine. If they think their Del-Ton sport is just as good as my DD, that's just fine with me. No need to get defensive and try to justify the mint for a DD. I spent my money how I perceive value-- and you can do the same.

You see this stuff with optics too. One guy feels a need to justify his Kahles by bagging on the guy who bought the Strike Eagle. And the Strike Eagle guys likes to pretend he's somehow so much smarter for not buying that "overpriced" optic.

Likewise for the 'you-overpaid-because-you-bought-instead-of-built' crowd. If I don't think I overpaid, I didn't. What it's worth is between buyer and seller. And unless you are one of those with me, I can't see how its any business of yours.

The common thread here is somebody who paid more feels the need to justify it, just as someone who paid less feels the need to justify that as well.

For those who feel the need to criticize someone else's choices: get over it. If you really think they are making a terrible mistake, take them to the range and let them witness how inferior their choices are compared to yours. I betcha you won't change their mind.

I fully agree with you. What happens is a form of buyers remorse. In this case when someone purchases something they want to think they bought the best available. Otherwise their "due diligence" is flawed. And no one wants to be flawed. :D Normal buyer's remorse is regretting a purchase after it's made. The difference here is their thoughts on other people's perception of their purchase.

When I go to the range am I concerned about what people think of my guns? Nope. Am I concerned that they won't think I have the best one there? Nope. Do I really think that at 56 years old I'll be involved in any type of "war" like some people here do? Nope. Do I just shoot and enjoy myself? Yep. Because that's what it's all about. None of my guns were bought, built, acquired or inherited for anyone for me.

I've considered this entire thread a joke starting with it's name. You could replace AR-15 with vehicle and end up with the same Bravo Sierra (See what I did there Timothy? LOL) posts revolving around Chevy, Dodge and Ford. People inherently want the best for the least and mostly think other people's purchases are sub-standard to theirs. This thread solidify's this psychological trait.

Dan

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There was a certain dynamic at the turn of the century with some competition shooters. A new shooter might have trouble hitting targets. Well, he was new.... But, in order to take the variable of "poor iron" out of the equation, one way to improve shooter confidence and have the shooter focus on THEIR errors was to have them buy the best hardware they could afford. Rather than blaming the gun, the shooter believed his gun was great. Net, net, shooting performance improved and many would say that improvement was faster with the best hardware. I wouldn't disagree.

On the other side, a champion shooter can shoot just about any gun and score well with it. That's a product of confidence, experience and lots of spent brass.

I'm sure there is a crossover point somewhere if a math guy got into it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Now, back to the thread at hand, I have no belief nor desire that any war would happen that I have to use my rifle. I do however, through my years of firearms ownership, want something quality the first time and something that I trust using to defend myself and my family. Once again, this is in the eye of the beholder. If you are confident that your DMPS will function when you need it to, go for it, I am not hating. If you feel that the quality of one brand exceeds the quality of others, or vice versa, I am not here to judge. ****, one of my favorite rifles is built on an "perceived" lower quality lower (granted every other part inside that lower and upper is a high end brand part). I have never had a problem with it, and I have taken it to many carbine classes.

If you trust your gear for what you want to do with it, rock it. But something we can all agree on is not all parts are created equally, parts fail, parts are out of spec, parts make it past QA. If one wants to mitigate the risk. Some brands more then others have more stringent QA. Would I trust an out of the box DD or BCM, with my life, No..... I would have to put it through its paces to ensure.... just like how I put all my builds through its paces... but I would trust a bcm a whole hell of a lot more than a psa.

I have had parts from PSA be out of spec... this is personal experience.... In one of my builds that I was building, the safety, spring, or detent was out of spec and I could force the safety to the "auto" position, which did nothing but not what was supposed to happen. But I can say I havent had that issue with some other brands.

YMMV

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I look at it this way. If you want a high end AR I'm cool with that. If you want to take your chances with lower end stuff then I'm cool with that also. Everybody should know what the differences are and it's up to each individual to choose what they think is best for them. As for me. I'm perfectly happy and have every confidence that the choices I have made will suit my needs for as long as I wish them to.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's hard to be fat with a gluten disorder,

I wish that was my problem...I've got the damn silly ass disease and I still can't get under my HS grad weight...if you're going to curse me with the disease at least give me a benefit I've never experienced; like weight loss.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wish that was my problem...I've got the damn silly ass disease and I still can't get under my HS grad weight...if you're going to curse me with the disease at least give me a benefit I've never experienced; like weight loss.

My wife gained 25lbs after her Celiac DX almost 2 years ago...

Without gluten in the diet, her small intestine healed up and was finally able to work as it was designed - and started absorbing everything that it hadn't been the prior 8 years. She had to not only cut out gluten, but also alter her intake.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah IDK what their deal is with the inconsistencies concerning grip screw threads. I've had about 5 Anderson lowers all total and I think there was only one of them that wasn't tapped all the way. It's not really that big of an issue to me and an easy fix. Other than that the fit and finish with all of them has been acceptable. I did have a PSA stripped lower once that was out of spec. It wouldn't even mate up properly with an upper.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Yeah IDK what their deal is with the inconsistencies concerning grip screw threads. I've had about 5 Anderson lowers all total and I think there was only one of them that wasn't tapped all the way. It's not really that big of an issue to me and an easy fix. Other than that the fit and finish with all of them has been acceptable. I did have a PSA stripped lower once that was out of spec. It wouldn't even mate up properly with an upper.

It's not a big deal if you can finish threading it or have a short(er) grip screw, and both are better than either of the last two $49 Bushmaster lowers I bought. I posted the pics to show what I think you get from "higher end" manufacturers: QA and QC. Both of these receivers will probably function just fine, but I would never SBR one as I have my doubts as to how close to max tolerances they may be... and an SBR is a $200 "forever." If you can't reliably tap a hole (QA), and receivers with partially tapped holes repeatedly make it out the door (QC), you're not producing a quality product.

That said, for $49 I can live with finishing threading the grip screw hole. But parts aren't parts.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's not a big deal if you can finish threading it or have a short(er) grip screw, and both are better than either of the last two $49 Bushmaster lowers I bought. I posted the pics to show what I think you get from "higher end" manufacturers: QA and QC. Both of these receivers will probably function just fine, but I would never SBR one as I have my doubts as to how close to max tolerances they may be... and an SBR is a $200 "forever." If you can't reliably tap a hole (QA), and receivers with partially tapped holes repeatedly make it out the door (QC), you're not producing a quality product.

That said, for $49 I can live with finishing threading the grip screw hole. But parts aren't parts.
    I agree 100% that parts are not parts and purchasing higher end stuff gives you a much higher degree of attention to QC. I am aware of what I'm getting with Anderson lowers. That's not to say that I use them exclusively. If I've personally experienced anything more than just an occasional grip thread issue then my opinion of them would be different. They are what they are and they suit the purpose that I purchase them for.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm just glad we have so many AR experts on here. So since I've had to change a few tires over the years I'm now a mechanic, cool. Or maybe when I'm old I'll automatically recieve my expert badge on every subject. I do have some grey hair, does my opinion count more now?
    i especially like when people who've asked me for gun advice or help, then start teaching the class or advising. When I offer opinion or advice it's based on my limited knowledge on the subject or experiences on the subject. I don't judge people based on what they can afford. I understand buying whatever you can afford to get into the game. It's like that with anything not just guns. But you still want to buy right and get the best of whatever you're buying for that level of money. No one should just rush in and buy something because it's the cheapest option without doing a little research or askin someone who's owned the same thing before you. And if they've worked on many of them and even owned some then their opinion or experience is what I'd consider valuable info that could potentially save me a lot of time and money. Even hi-point gets it right sometimes. If that's the bar that you set to aim for, then that's you and not me. Oh great now all the hi-point owners hate me too now.
    i also don't wear clothes or drive cars or shoot guns or talk like a saint In order to impress anyone. I live my life for me and mine. If you're doing that then more power to you. Enjoy your lower end guns. People with more experience or standards will enjoy their higher end guns, and I say that not as a dig on people with less experience but to show that once you've learned the guns that constantly have issues (even if some work fine) you tend to stay away from them because it's just not fun to ruin a full day of shooting trying to make your gun work or shoot straight. It's like AK's, they aren't all created equal. Some are much better than others but the ****tiest and even rustyest ones will still kill you or poke holes in paper. and some blow up and kill the person shooting them. Or it's like if a utg or truglo scope suits your needs then rock it while they still work. They'll work longer the less you shoot. But you'll never know the joy or improvement on your accuracy of looking through something nicer and that's sad but it's still your choice. It is what it is and wherever you go there you are

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

^^I agree with this totally, I really just don't get why others are so bent on getting their views across to an individual that spent t heir own money and are happy with how it was spent...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ^^I agree with this totally, I really just don't get why others are so bent on getting their views across to an individual that spent t heir own money and are happy with how it was spent...
    well if people would use a little reading comprehension, this thread was for people who hadn't yet bought something and wanted to have something to go off of. I don't give two ****s what you or anyone else has in their safe but if I can help a new shooter or potential AR owner to make a good choice then I'll try to offer my good opinion based on facts.
    You and others are more than welcome to steer them down the hi-point road.
    the poor me feel sorry for me crowd is so old. Also the established ingo crowd is the last ones I'd ever expect to get any good advice across to hence this thread is for newer AR shooters

Top Bottom