• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I hear people trashing DPMS all the time. I went cheap(by a few years ago standards) and bought a DPMS Oracle. I really like it and is very reliable and accurate.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Speaking of good at parts, I'm trying to decide between a Colt socom 14.5" upper or a bcm socom 14.5" upper. What say you? It's going on a Colt 6920 lower. I can't decide!!!

I have a Colt 14.5 SOCOM upper & here's my take. It shoots accurately enough to score "rifleman" on an Appleseed AQT KD out to 400 yards. I think I put ~37/40 into the black that day. This using cheap Federal M855 62 gr ammo. Past 400 yards my groups started to break up. Maybe the bullets were transitioning into sub sonic at that range. I have not run the numbers on it. It does like better, heavier ammo but I haven't shot better ammo past 100 yards. So cheap stuff was sub 3 MOA (sling only against the clock, AQT style field rifle shooting), good stuff can easily group sub 2 MOA. YMMV.

Chrome chamber & barrel, decently hard coating (I can't remember if it's under the taper pinned gas block), SOCOM profile, eats all kinds of ammo without a problem, the finish color doesn't quite match my Colt lower but the age difference is >20 years.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I hear people trashing DPMS all the time. I went cheap(by a few years ago standards) and bought a DPMS Oracle. I really like it and is very reliable and accurate.
    That's because they used to make really out of spec parts as well as using .223 barrels and marking them 5.56.It's been a couple years, but their vendor rep on ar15.com has pulled some shenanigans as well.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Speaking of good at parts, I'm trying to decide between a Colt socom 14.5" upper or a bcm socom 14.5" upper. What say you? It's going on a Colt 6920 lower. I can't decide!!!

Colt. Socom 14.5 barrel. Some say it's too heavy, I have 2 configured with sopmods and ta31 acogs, I like the weight. Though I will say, I have 1 in standard m4 profile with a t1 that is LIGHT compared to those, HD gun, socoms are they workers.

Plus, colt is the real deal, not that bcm is bad, but clone clone clone!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So does this not count since it was done with an Anderson lower and AR stoner barrel? Even an Anderson parts kit in there

10pvl6w.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So does this not count since it was done with an Anderson lower and AR stoner barrel? Even an Anderson parts kit in there
    You got lucky it didn't jam on you otherwise the Buck would've shot you first.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Pfft, can't fool us. That deer is just laying there. You don't even have a barrel on that AR. Cheap thing must have fallen off.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Pfft, can't fool us. That deer is just laying there. You don't even have a barrel on that AR. Cheap thing must have fallen off.

It fell off and I ran after the deer and bludgeoned it.

That's a lie, I'm sorry internet but I'm way too fat to try and run a deer down.

I guess I got lucky

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The epicness of this thread I believe has moved into monumental status.....

Meh, AR's failed me and many I served with. AK's became the go to gun. Failure to eject? What 's that. Now where's that stir the (kick over) pot icon...:n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom