• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not convinced that your average citizen OCer would need it any more or less than your average CCer, but I do know that this is a commonly held opinion.

I pretty much agree with ol' ATM here, with one caveat. While I don't think an OCer should have any more or less training than a CCer, I do think that the training priorities between these two groups should be slightly different.

For example, a CCer might look for a course that includes lessons specifically on drawing from concealment. An OCer might look for a course that includes lessons on weapon retention.

Sure there can be crossover, but you need to tailor your training to your situation.

Everyone should get training.

At the end of the day, this is really the most important lesson. :yesway:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Everyone should get training.

Good training will lead to better practices which will lead to better efficiency and a higher standard of preparedness which is what you will default to if and when you really need it.

I'm not convinced that your average citizen OCer would need it any more or less than your average CCer, but I do know that this is a commonly held opinion.

By who?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Sure there can be crossover, but you need to tailor your training to your situation.

My only caveat to your caveat is that the crossover is likely greater than most tend to believe.

OCers that don't train or practice clearing cover garments (due to cold weather wear, shirt falling over gun, etc.) are in for a rude awakening one day

...as is the CCer who thought they didn't really need to train or practice retention techniques (fighting to deploy and maintain their own gun or stopping the other guy from drawing).

These are examples that should be considered fundamental to any method of defensive carry IMO.

...and it's fun! :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My only caveat to your caveat is that the crossover is likely greater than most tend to believe.

OCers that don't train or practice clearing cover garments (due to cold weather wear, shirt falling over gun, etc.) are in for a rude awakening one day

...as is the CCer who thought they didn't really need to train or practice retention techniques (fighting to deploy and maintain their own gun or stopping the other guy from drawing).

These are examples that should be considered fundamental to any method of defensive carry IMO.

...and it's fun! :)

:yesway::yesway:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I've seen countless posts specifying how important retention training is if you're going to OC, as if those techniques were any more or less important for CCers.

They must believe that the visibility of our guns causes them to be grabbed from us frequently as we walk around our favorite Wal-Mart showing off. :):

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I've seen countless posts specifying how important retention training is if you're going to OC, as if those techniques were any more or less important for CCers.

They must believe that the visibility of our guns causes them to be grabbed from us frequently as we walk around our favorite Wal-Mart showing off. :):

So you're saying you do show off...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    When I OC it's because I had a big gun on my side for whatever reason, and really I usually have my shirt half over it so it's more like lazy CC. Sometimes I OC because the gun I have on is too big to hide, showing off, no way. The place I have found to have the most gawkers is Wal mart by far. Who knows, but I would love to take as much training as I could in th near future. Real training anyways.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm not sure where you're getting such an outlandish idea.

That sounds like crazy talk to me. :nuts:

:banana:

OC:

tumblr_m1brjsg7eo1qb4cjeo1_500.gif

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom