• Do you EDC extra magazine(s)?

• Total voters

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    1. I submit that if one has the option of high-tailing it, then they should have exercised that option before learning that the amount of ammunition they chose to carry was sufficient or not.
    2. No one can know how many rounds it will take to solve any given problem. It might be the number you have or less. It will be between zero and more than you have. More is better than less unless you're trying to swim.
    3. Everyone can miss under stress, even at ridiculously close range, even a lot of times. It's not just NYC cops. Refer back to #2.
    4. Needing to reload after running dry is not the only reason one should carry an extra magazine. Magazines are the most likely cause of a malfunction in an otherwise functional firearm. Having additional magazines could be the difference between one shot and enough.
    5. I don't advocate that people carry everything I carry, but if you're going to carry a handgun for defense, I believe that at least one readily accessible reload and a powerful flashlight are as essential as the gun itself or the knowledge and skill to be able to use it (or not) effectively and appropriately in an emergency.

+1 Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My thoughts EXACTLY...

Why would you not? No one who was ever in a gunfight said I wished I had less ammo ever!

As I type this I have my G-19 in a Galco Rig on....15 rounds + 1 in the tube-+-2-17 round G-17 mags. on the off side...

Yea, yea, yea....I AM carrying around a BOX of 50 9MM Critical Duty rounds on me...It balances out..HA HA...Bill.

Edit: Just checked the ammo box=Mine IS Critical Duty 135gr. also..

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    As I type this I have my G-19 in a Galco Rig on....15 rounds + 1 in the tube-+-2-17 round G-17 mags. on the off side...

Yea, yea, yea....I AM carrying around a BOX of 50 9MM Critical Defense rounds on me...It balances out..HA HA...Bill.

Me too, but mine are critical duty.

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Usually not. If the logic is you're carrying an extra mag because one in the gun might not be enough, where does it stop? If your gun holds 12-15 rounds you really think you you're going to need to carry a box of ammo around with you? You can't possibly carry enough for every situation. God forbid you get into a fire fight with the Mexican Federales. There really is no right or wrong answer. Each person has to do thier own risk assessment and take the appropriate action.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I bet I walk differently!

Before the huge "panic" I got a box of 50 for 27 bucks. I've stayed with the critical duty since. They're really a good intermediate weight (135gr). :)

Similar story here, then I started reading and watching video of gelatin tests. The terminal performance and penetration through barriers is about as good as it gets with 9mm. I also like that the primers are sealed (and probably case mouths too).

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I bet I walk differently!

Similar story here, then I started reading and watching video of gelatin tests. The terminal performance and penetration through barriers is about as good as it gets with 9mm. I also like that the primers are sealed (and probably case mouths too).

I know right. They're also loaded to be better efficient in subcompacts and compacts. So they're g2g in my 19 and 26 :)

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Usually not. If the logic is you're carrying an extra mag because one in the gun might not be enough, where does it stop? If your gun holds 12-15 rounds you really think you you're going to need to carry a box of ammo around with you? You can't possibly carry enough for every situation. God forbid you get into a fire fight with the Mexican Federales. There really is no right or wrong answer. Each person has to do thier own risk assessment and take the appropriate action.

You just have to be as prepared as you can. And it's not just about the extra rounds. As mentioned up thread, the magazine is a point of failure. So if you have a spare and something breaks or stops working correctly your main magazine, you simply have to switch out the mag. Personally, I find that much more acceptable than troubleshooting a magazine failure in the middle of a DGU. Just my :twocents:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I carry a 1911 and always carry at least 1 spare mag, and usually 2 spares. I'm a firm believer in that hoary old cliche "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Right now I have two spares on me all the time. I have more in my get home bag with a spare pistol.

I also have additional mags in my vehicle, although those are usually loaded with plinking ammo for those impromptu range sessions.

Top Bottom