• Do you EDC extra magazine(s)?

• Total voters

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    When it happened to me, it was a well-used mag. I can't speculate on the others I've witnessed. With Glocks, it's less likely to happen with the standard base pads, but the +2 pads (especially factory Glock) are notorious for the speed unload. It's less of a concern with metal magazines with metal basepads.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know this.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Some good points here, I may have to start thinking about grabbing my extra mag when I holster up. Shield mags aren't all that big so I'm sure I can find some extra space. Hell, I can just drop it in my pocket if I have to! Que, your argument of ammo to hit ratio really made the most sense to me; Under stress I'm sure I'd be lucky to get 1-2 hits a mag, now that I think about it. If I was carrying a full size with 15 rounds or so though, I don't think I'd carry a mag, and if I did, not more than 1.
    Rhino, never even crossed my mind that mag-malfunction could occur... Seems like another reason to carry an extra mag to me, irregardless of round count.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just providing for historical context. I'll take a crack at fixing those links. Not sure what happened. These should work.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hats-your-minimum-mag-count-carry-weapon.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/121497-carrying-spare-magazine-s-10.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...90899-do-you-carry-extra-mag-hi-cap-no-9.html
    POLL: # of magazines -vs- years you've been carrying - View Poll Results

Plus the one loneshooter referenced and this thread; these are the only 6 polls on this in my list.

(I collect interesting INGO polls. :thumbsup: )

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Often I do not carry a spare mag if I'm alone, or just going out for a short trip, simply because I'm lazy.

When I do carry a spare mag it's usually if I know I'm going to be out all day, if I have the family in tow, or if I'm going somewhere where there is a greater chance of being stuck far away from the exit.

I'd hate to be in the center of a mall or other large building during an active shooter situation where you may have to provide cover fire or fight your way to a far away exit. I know it's unlikely, but consider the scenario of the terror attack on the shopping mall last year. Multiple attackers, multiple exits/ choke points, etc.

I'd hate to be trapped inside of a large building and trying to get my family to safety with just the rounds in the gun.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I don't figure that anyone has emerged from a self defense incident saying, "Man I wish I didn't have all those spare mags." So, yes, I carry a spare mag for my primary, and a spare mag for my secondary (same mag when carrying G19 & G26). I will also carry speed strips if carrying a revolver, even if for backup.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    A bit puzzled by the remarks made to the effect "I won't need extra ammo", "The chance of needing extra ammo is slim", or "If I need more ammo than the X+1 in my EDC, I'll just leave". :scratch:

If you KNOW you're going to need to use ANY ammo at all, why wouldn't you just 'leave beforehand', avoid the scenario altogether? More curious is that the concept infers that after you use up the capacity of your EDC, you could 'just leave'. This might seem 'silly', but the bad guy(s) from which you're defending yourself (and / or others) might just ALSO have some 'say-so' on whether or not you're leaving and may 'not agree' with the idea of you launching 9 rounds at them, then having everyone involved sit idly by until the Boys In Blue arrive.

Statistically (currently), the chances of needing to engage your EDC at all is 'slim', though that appears to be changing. So, by that 'justification', why carry at all?

Also statistically, only about 3 shots are fired between both parties in such a situation. As that's the case, why not just carry a 5 shot revolver, or even a two shot derringer? Why carry 'all that extra weight' of 8+1, or 12 or 15 rounds in an EDC?

God forbid anyone here ever need to engage their EDC in a defensive situation, I sincerely hope it NEVER happens to you, or anyone you know. But, from experience, IF such a fateful day ever arises, you'll wish you had crates of ammo AND loaded magazines at hand. Pallets-full. The LAST thing you want on your mind in such a scenario is "OMG, I only have one shot left, and I'm hemmed in behind this flimsy..."

For a couple examples, it IS possible that you may need to provide some 'cover fire' for you or someone else to move from an unsafe position to a safe position, which isn't really intended to place hits on target (though, hopefully, it would, and end the scenario). It IS possible that you may need to fire while running / jumping / diving to cover. Which, as we know, isn't conducive to vital hits on target.

We carry EDC's, NOT for the reasons we CAN think of, but for the reasons we CAN'T.

The same concept applies to carrying extra mags / ammunition.

'Bring enough gun. Bring enough ammo'. You MAY just be there a while.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Meh, I tried searching beforehand, but I must need to learn to use the search feature more efficiently, as I didn't come up with much.
    Like I said before there's nothing wrong with rehashing it out again. We get new member everyday. This is "THE" place to come and learn. We just proved the older threads for you to catch up one. Also I find that it is easier to use the search function in the individual thread.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Too much trouble!

If you carry extra mags you have to practice mag changes!

You have to practice one hand mag changes, ever try to get a mag out of your left pocke, get it in your pistol and release the slide without using the slide release because you may not have a thumb at that point. It is pretty tough.

You have to practice weak hand only mag changes. With all the possible problems that Murphy or Mas can throw at you.

Too much trouble.

I carry 8+1, +8+8 in a Maag carrier on my hip, +8 in in my truck console plus 50 more JHP in a MTM box (easier than a factory box to open and work with) in the console.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My EDC is a 15+1 9mm sig, either a P228 or a sig pro. I always carry at least 1 extra mag and today me and family went to the creation museum about an hour and a half from home. So I took 2 extra mags today.:cool:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I usually carry a revolver so does a few speeddloaders or speedstrips count as a magazine? :):

I not only carry reloads for my primary but I also carry an extra firearm or two, usually of the same caliber but smaller in size, as well as BUG(s). The ammo extras are generally carried in the opposite jacket pocket from my primary this time of year and on my belt n a carrier when I OC like most of the summertime. When I say in the same caliber I mean like an LC9 as a BUG with a 9E as primary, which is an OC combo for me or like now, my GP-100 357 with y SP-101 357 as BUG. So I can strip rounds from the primary to feed the BUG if there is a failure. Of course this doesn't always ork out, like with my LCP as BUG but I strike to do this whenever possible.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I don't usually, EDC is a glock 19 so I feel like 15 rounds is enough to get me back to my car where I have multiple mags, as I generally am never to far away from my car.

Top Bottom