Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You're all wrong. We were created paradoxically by Jeff Goldblum on the set of Jurassic Park. He was eating Costa Rican food and got a bad case of bubblegut. He poopfarted so hard in the can that it ripped a hole in spacetime, triggering the big bang while also sending some of the exotic gut flora through the wormhole.

All life in the universe is a direct descendant of Jeff Goldblum's poo bacteria.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    2u8gcp2.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think anyone has a good handle on what "conciousness" is. That being said, every thought we have is an organization of energy which has some form of radiation attached to it. Does that radiation and, therefore, that thought travel on forever throughout spacetime? And if we are 32 million miles from where we were yesterday, is our existence a unique footprint in the present or a thin ribbon throughout spaceandtime?

Interesting concepts that I doubt we'll figure out very soon.

That doesn't directly answer your question, I know. It all depends on the nature of time.

Only if you want it to. :)

We are a product of, and reliant upon, our current understanding of/observation of our shared spacetime. So, in that context, the only rational response to the questions being posed is based on our currently understood/observed spacetime.

In that context, and to modify the question before you, in your opinion, was the presence/creation of human life inevitable?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Only if you want it to. :)

We are a product of, and reliant upon, our current understanding of/observation of our shared spacetime. So, in that context, the only rational response to the questions being posed is based on our currently understood/observed spacetime.

In that context, and to modify the question before you, in your opinion, was the presence/creation of human life inevitable?

The Weak Anthropic Principle. Life exists and thereby, maybe, perhaps, possibly, was inevitable given the fundamentals that the universe appears to be "tuned to". Does life exist elsewhere? Because it exists here, it exists, will exist or has existed elsewhere.

I once thought I had a grasp on some of the big picture, but the more I learn, the more I recognize how little it is we understand. Generally, we only understand what can be perceived and named. I grok that. Those are bounds in the integral function of existence.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    "What do we know … of the world and the universe about us? Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have."

-H.P. Lovecraft

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Life on this planet represents a VERY small mark when it comes to the immensity of the scale of both the universe, and time.

Life could have existed a million years ago, then disappeared, in multiple places. But with the scale of time, we just don't see them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Life on this planet represents a VERY small mark when it comes to the immensity of the scale of both the universe, and time.

Life could have existed a million years ago, then disappeared, in multiple places. But with the scale of time, we just don't see them.

Lending to that thinking....
    Maybe the UFOs being seen now are from the future of another species coming back in time to visit for a multitude of reasons.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Craziest part is if they existed far enough away any signal they sent might not even reach us for another few million years. The scale of it all is near incomprehensible.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who do you think took this photo?

That actually made me think. I always assume actual traditional photographs were real and everything else was 'fake' but the more I think about it, we only see a small part of the em spectrum, is turning wavelengths we don't see into colors we do create any less a 'real' picture? Obviously that has nothing to do with this artist rendition of what the universe may look like but I thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom