Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Craziest part is if they existed far enough away any signal they sent might not even reach us for another few million years. The scale of it all is near incomprehensible.
    We humans started broadcasting on radio roughly 100 or so years ago (give a take a decade or so). How far have those transmission reached?

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

Look closer. NOT the box... the DOT.

The vast majority of our own local galaxy doesn't even know we exist. We could have tons of neighbors, and they think this little spec of the universe is nothing but dust and a few stars.

And ours is one of innumerable galaxies. Possibly even of innumerable universes.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We humans started broadcasting on radio roughly 100 or so years ago (give a take a decade or so). How far have those transmission reached?

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

Look closer. NOT the box... the DOT.

The vast majority of our own local galaxy doesn't even know we exist. We could have tons of neighbors, and they think this little spec of the universe is nothing but dust and a few stars.

And ours is one of innumerable galaxies. Possibly even of innumerable universes.

I like that intro to 'contact' that shows how far radio waves have travelled

[video=youtube;EWwhQB3TKXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwhQB3TKXA&app=desktop[/video]

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes there is life out there. They don't visit because earth is a ghetto.
    They roll up the windows and lock the doors as the fly past the solar system. Do I believe there is other life in the universe? Sure. Do I believe it's intelligent? Well, I'm still waiting for signs of intelligence here so my hopes aren't high.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They roll up the windows and lock the doors as the fly past the solar system. Do I believe there is other life in the universe? Sure. Do I believe it's intelligent? Well, I'm still waiting for signs of intelligence here so my hopes aren't high.

I'd say the lack of signs of intelligent life elsewhere is the BEST sign of intelligent life elsewhere for exactly the reason you just stated!:laugh:

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I redact my contact scene, I like the premise but I never noticed how wildly inaccurate it was.

This website does the same thing but is accurate distance wise. Robert Kennedy isn't being getting shot 33 minutes ago...

Doesn't work well on mobile
    Lightyear.fm

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

As they speed past us, I see one saying something like: "Well, at least they have developed a digital planetary communication system, that's a start."

Then another one says: "Yes, but check out what they mostly use if for....."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's interesting how a simple question turned into a religious "discussion". I thought it a simple question but guess it wasn't. . .

Many folks religious beliefs will set the answer to this question
    They are bound by what they have been taught.
    Are they right...:dunno:
    Are they wrong...:dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's interesting how a simple question turned into a religious "discussion". I thought it a simple question but guess it wasn't. . .

In hindsight maybe I should have attached a poll with a Bacon option.
    I had no idea that this many emotions and thoughts of science and religion would take over the thread.
    Hell, It's INGO. Let the gauntlet glove slaps run rampant.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can't say I believe in life outside of Earth, but I certainly expect it to exist/has existed/will exist. If it's anywhere close enough in time and space to interact with us is another question all together.

I guess you'd sum it up as I believe in the strong possibility.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    For those who have a passing interest in quantum theories, there is a good video put out by Veritasium on Pilot-Wave theory....an alternate and more understandable explanation of the double-slit experiment. Although the initial concepts were brought out by DeBroglie in the 1920's, the Copenhagen interpretation has been the accepted gestalt for most of the 20th century. DeBroglie-Bohm is gaining traction again. About time.

[video=youtube_share;WIyTZDHuarQ]http://youtu.be/WIyTZDHuarQ[/video]

Top Bottom