Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Losing arguments for a living now, ATM? Please get back to your detonation thread. Oh. CM locked it. No wonder you're carrying vitriol to other places. :)

Still looking for a challenge, actually. Did I carry vitriol in here, or did I simply respond to yours? :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is there life elsewhere in the universe? How arrogant to believe you are its most important creation.

I don't think it arrogant; I think it quantifiable. Well, not the "important" part. Most sentient, maybe. Arguably, gravity is the most important creation. Or light. If we're going in order, the firmament - the physical stuff of the universe - is probably most important. Without that, the rest wouldn't really be possible.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    It is quite astounding when one goes backwards into origins. Certainly there are arguments along the way to cell formation and molecule replication. All of that seems to take an incredible amount of time and some would argue against it (Doc). However, one also needs to factor in the data supporting our solar system being a second generation system. Cosmic dust as the result of a prior supernova (s) had to coalesce out of the expanding space fabric to create our star and planetary system.

All the while moving at a rate of 32 million miles per day.

Is there life elsewhere in the universe? How arrogant to believe you are its most important creation.

I am just that important. I know this because my daddy told me so. As far as I can see, arrogance would be me denying my father.

If you are blessed to be a father, surely your most important creation are your children.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    earth-from-saturn.jpg

sunmilkyway.jpg

d2a05e2e4aa78a6df16f07dad493cfaa.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah, pretty miraculous, eh? :D

It certainly is. I use the term "arrogance" only in the sense of self-importance. To think about the broader aspects of the universe and the forces involved...humility and gratitude are the things that usually come to my own mind.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My question what constitutes intelligent life? I mean if we found a water planet that had dolphins would we consider them intelligent... we claim they are some of the most intelligent animals on our planet...

I am just hoping to find complex life forms.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It certainly is. I use the term "arrogance" only in the sense of self-importance. To think about the broader aspects of the universe and the forces involved...humility and gratitude are the things that usually come to my own mind.
    So do you believe you are the only "you" that has ever existed? Let's even just say physically - that there has never been, and isn't, or will never be someone with exactly your physical attributes?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My question what constitutes intelligent life? I mean if we found a water planet that had dolphins would we consider them intelligent... we claim they are some of the most intelligent animals on our planet...

I am just hoping to find complex life forms.

Have you been reading/watching Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So do you believe you are the only "you" that has ever existed? Let's even just say physically - that there has never been, and isn't, or will never be someone with exactly your physical attributes?
    I don't think anyone has a good handle on what "conciousness" is. That being said, every thought we have is an organization of energy which has some form of radiation attached to it. Does that radiation and, therefore, that thought travel on forever throughout spacetime? And if we are 32 million miles from where we were yesterday, is our existence a unique footprint in the present or a thin ribbon throughout spaceandtime?

Interesting concepts that I doubt we'll figure out very soon.

That doesn't directly answer your question, I know. It all depends on the nature of time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom