• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    How do you folks check whether the barrel is clean on a Garand? Just wondering, after all it's always loaded.

I remember Sarge. used to look down the muzzle of the barrel. Never shot his eye out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But in the context of force-on-force training, they are not your buddies, I assume? (I would further assume that the conditions of the training account for the nature of the exercise, either using Simunitions, or something else suitable to ensure that you don't actually destroy your erstwhile buddies, play-acting as your enemies?)

So safety rules depend on if I pretend I'm willing to destroy something, not if I'm actually willing to destroy it?

No. The military realizes a certain number of people will be injured or die due to these violations. However, the realistic training will save more than it kills, there is no other way to do it, so the risk is accepted.

When I was at Ft. Riley, an Engineer lost his hand and another was killed in one of these scenarios. I can assure you the shooter was not willing to destroy his fellow soldiers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those unwilling to have a blue gun pointed at them, fair warning, do not take my class. There are things I need to demonstrate and to have you watch from the perspective of 'the bad guy' and I use a blue gun to do that.

Prior to each demonstration I hold the blue gun up, have everyone verify it is a blue gun, then conduct the demonstration. If I set the blue gun down at any time and pick it back up, I repeat the verification.

Of course, I also played with toy guns as a kid and somehow never mixed up my Marlin .22 or Stevens 12g for a water pistol.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So safety rules depend on if I pretend I'm willing to destroy something, not if I'm actually willing to destroy it?

No. The military realizes a certain number of people will be injured or die due to these violations. However, the realistic training will save more than it kills, there is no other way to do it, so the risk is accepted.

When I was at Ft. Riley, an Engineer lost his hand and another was killed in one of these scenarios. I can assure you the shooter was not willing to destroy his fellow soldiers.

I can certainly accept that there is an exception to the Four Rules for military training, where required. I don't think that exception impacts civilians in any way, though.

For those unwilling to have a blue gun pointed at them, fair warning, do not take my class. There are things I need to demonstrate and to have you watch from the perspective of 'the bad guy' and I use a blue gun to do that.

Prior to each demonstration I hold the blue gun up, have everyone verify it is a blue gun, then conduct the demonstration. If I set the blue gun down at any time and pick it back up, I repeat the verification.

Of course, I also played with toy guns as a kid and somehow never mixed up my Marlin .22 or Stevens 12g for a water pistol.

So, I have no problem with that, either. One, you're not demonstrating/training on firearm handling while conducting that exercise. Two, you're respecting it as a live firearm, until you explicitly verify that it is not a live firearm.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    The four rules always apply. My son called me out couple years ago. He was 19. "Dad, you swept me twice - stop it." We were working on a FTF, the gun was unloaded, but he was right. Rule 1 - all guns are loaded. I apologized to the young man I taught everything he knows about gun safety, told him he was right and corrected my negligence.

Feelings are great. Breathing is better.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The four rules always apply. My son called me out couple years ago. He was 19. "Dad, you swept me twice - stop it." We were working on a FTF, the gun was unloaded, but he was right. Rule 1 - all guns are loaded. I apologized to the young man I taught everything he knows about gun safety, told him he was right and corrected my negligence.

"Rule" #1 was irrelevant, as always.
    Rule #2 was what you broke.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My boys have become the safety NAZI's and I love it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Well I guess there's some difference in rules...

1 All guns are loaded
    2 Muzzle discipline
    3 Trigger discipline
    4 Target Discipline

At least that's the first four in my house and when I teach gun safety.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I agree. Inert replicas are inert and are not firearms. If you choose to believe otherwise, it's your prerogative, but that does not change reality. The fact that some people mistake actual firearms for inert replicas does not change the reality that the replicas are incapable of firing any kind of projectile.

BBI is spot-on when he states that there are times when demonstrations require pointing the inert replica where you would not do the same with a gun. That's the reason why inert replicas exist - so you can do these things without pointing guns at people.

When I use an inert replica in a class, I offer to let anyone inspect it who wishes to do so. I also warn them that it may get pointed at them and if they are uncomfortable with that, let me know and I'll avoid doing it to any who make the request. I do not recall anyone making the request, nor do I recall anyone in many Louis Awerbuck classes when he used essentially the same procedure (that's where I learned it).

If you don't like it, that that's your call. If you don't want to be in my classes because of that (or any other reason), your call again. If you want to apply the four rules or your version of them to inert replicas, knock yourself out (but be honest about it when you lapse in that application to an inert object, because I know some of you have and will). Just don't try to make me or anyone else believe that an inert replica is a gun. It's not.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK so Jetta Knight, Bug 102, ATM and I are in a room I am holding a 1911A! (of course) I pull the slide back, peer in the ejection port and motion as though I'm feeling in the chamber with my finger.

Which one of you will take that gun place the muzzle to your head and pull the trigger?

I don't believe any of you would. Why? because Jeff Cooper says that every gun is loaded, until you personally clear it.

Never assume anything.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK so Jetta Knight, Bug 102, ATM and I are in a room I am holding a 1911A! (of course) I pull the slide back, peer in the ejection port and motion as though I'm feeling in the chamber with my finger.

Which one of you will take that gun place the muzzle to your head and pull the trigger?

I don't believe any of you would. Why? because Jeff Cooper says that every gun is loaded, until you personally clear it.

Never assume anything.

No, they'ed argue with you until you put the gun to your own head... ;)

Top Bottom