• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    And I bet they are wearing skates....Nice....

Side note....The year before I was born mom was an operator for Ma Bell in Louisville...She was in her early 20's November 22, 1963. She said they were working and every light on the switchboard went on at once...She said she had never seen anything like it....They were all younger girls enamored with JFK and mom said she grabbed the first line and picked it up and a lady said, "Is it true??? Is JFK dead?" Mom said she didn't know and about then their supervisor came in with tears in her eyes and told them the news...Mom had got to shake his hand not long before for the dedication of the Kennedy Bridge...A group of girls from Bell were allowed to go down for the dedication ceremony and she weaseled her way in to get a handshake...

And I was born 9 months later to the day...Which says something about how folks in my family deal with grief...

Maybe not. I thought you always did look a little like JFK...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've spent the past 8 years taking a fair amount of firearms training classes and participating in various competitive shooting sports. I wouldn't dare make any blanket statements, but some of the worst, sloppy dangerous, gun handlers I've ever seen have been "trained" in military service.

As always, I thank those who served. However, military service does not make one immune to Dunning–Kruger effect. It's not terribly unusual to run into this, especially concerning gun handling. :twocents:

I haven't seen much unsafe firearms handling while in uniform since I left basic. Just about all of that was by Pogues. But I have seen some while out of uniform by those who claim to have been in the military. There is definitely a segment of current and former service members out there who don't respect firearms, which kind of blows my mind. They are usually the same ones who don't have anything to learn from anybody.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When you see me breaking rule #1, as I always do, make sure to mention it to me.

I don't have to worry about you, ATM. It is the people on the other side of the chicken wire reinforced glass who tell me "that gon whuddit low-dead."

I ask about Rule #1 and they tell me how much they know about guns.

I see no advantage, other than the ego stroke, in saying that one is too smart to follow the Four Rules.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    "Ask not what you can do for yourself...But what you can do for your family by following the four rules of gun safety...ICH BEIN JEFF COOPER!!!!"

Ich bin ein Jeff Cooper lol...kinda sad that as the POTUS he couldn't have someone translate better for him, no? What a joke

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can get it for ya. Indiucky speaks Harley Rider. I can sometimes understand him as well. So if we translate Austrian into Harley, Harley into Hoosier, then it means "Indiucky is a jelly doughnut."

And, now, I want another jelly doughnut........

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Arrr. I'm dismayed to read this entire thread and see how many folks disregard the four rules, or pick and choose which rules to follow under varying circumstances. :( Very dismayed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Arrr. I'm dismayed to read this entire thread and see how many folks disregard the four rules, or pick and choose which rules to follow under varying circumstances. :( Very dismayed.

As if you have a better way of proving you are cool than to endanger lives by fighting the Four Rules.

Little kids do it, gun owners do it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End

And I'm guessing you never ever break any of the rules of the road!

Breaking them also causes fatalities. More in fact than breaking the 4 rules.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, in addition to being stupid enough to put a hand in front of the muzzle and pressing the trigger, why does the practice of decocking loaded 1911s still exist? It's pointless, dangerous, and stupid.

If you want the hammer down, the chamber should be empty. If you want a round in the chamber, the hammer should be cocked and the thumb safety applied. That's Just How It Is.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I only speak German, not Austrian.

My wife got an Amazon Fire Stick for Christmas. When I was setting it up the language choices were US English, UK English, Germany German, and Austria German.

I took 3 years of German in high school, and my best friend lives in Austria (though he's an American). I didn't know there was enough difference between the two to necessitate a difference on such a device.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So, in addition to being stupid enough to put a hand in front of the muzzle and pressing the trigger, why does the practice of decocking loaded 1911s still exist? It's pointless, dangerous, and stupid.

If you want the hammer down, the chamber should be empty. If you want a round in the chamber, the hammer should be cocked and the thumb safety applied. That's Just How It Is.

Exactly

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rhino again.

Get him for me guys.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

No purple, express or implied: Do people really do this? What's the point? It's SA only, you still have to cock it somehow. Cocked and locked is wa-a-a-y faster to deploy. If you're worried you'll unintentionally discharge the weapon you need more practice and/or you have chosen the wrong carry weapon

Top Bottom