• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Let's also keep in mind the Quran is written in Arabic. Many words do not translate very well to English. That leaves Islamophics a lot or room to play with what it's really saying. Unless you read, speak, and understand Arabic you will not get 100% of the meaning.

Would that be similar to following the Torah not knowing Hebrew or the New testament not knowing Greek?

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    How do you define a significant number?
    The US has the second largest jewish population and I think we all get along pretty well.

I don't have a number in mind. Just as an observation, it seems most religious groups - even if they are bitter enemies elsewhere in the world - tend to "behave" in the United States. Perhaps that is due to our culture, laws, etc. It is difficult to say with certainty. It seems to me that Jews are generally attacked at every corner in other parts of the world, and they have consistently been under attack for thousands of years. Multiple biblical points could be made here, but I will put those to the side and move on with my intended point.

I realize that this is a thread about Muslim issues, but I will reiterate what has been said earlier. While it seems Islamic terrorism is always an issue, there are certainly other forms of terrorism in the world . I recently heard accounts from south Asia where some Hindus converted to evangelical Christianity and as a result, Hindu militants killed their animals, equivalent to about a year's wages. This is clearly not as dramatic as some other recent events, but I would call it terrorism (or at least extreme intimidation.)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd venture to guess less than the percentage who agree with Rick Santorum that “We have civil laws, but our civil laws have to comport with the higher law.”

Oh, you mean to equate being against the murder of innocent unborn babies to the murder of those who refuse to convert to Islam?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Would that be similar to following the Torah not knowing Hebrew or the New testament not knowing Greek?

Sorry. There are plenty of accurate translations of the Torah, the Bible and the Quran by original-language speakers or scholars. I have read translations of the Quran and I have read quotes by those who have studied it. Taken out of context? How? I really don't see why I should have to repeat the arguments others have cited here over various threads; I can't believe YOU haven't read them, either.

And through all of this, although I have asked the question several times in several ways: How do we tell terrorist jihadis from peaceful Muslims?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Sorry. There are plenty of accurate translations of the Torah, the Bible and the Quran by original-language speakers or scholars. I have read translations of the Quran and I have read quotes by those who have studied it. Taken out of context? How? I really don't see why I should have to repeat the arguments others have cited here over various threads; I can't believe YOU haven't read them, either.

And through all of this, although I have asked the question several times in several ways: How do we tell terrorist jihadis from peaceful Muslims?

The same way I tell a child molester from a priest. Remember that there is a small percentage and treat them like other humans unless they give you reason to believe otherwise.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The Ten Commandments, Killing, and Murder: A Detailed Commentary

Says the Torah (Exodus 20:13): Lo tirtzach!The Hebrew word used has a clear and unequivocal meaning: “Do not murder.”Unfortunately, this verse is generally mistranslated as “Do not kill.” But the Hebrew could not be more clear, and there is a world of difference between killing and murder.This is the Sixth Commandment. How many times have you heard “Thou shalt not kill”? This mistranslation is etched upon the hearts and minds of both Jewish and Christian children and adults with pernicious results. Can we possibly estimate the numbers of lives that have been lost by foolish pacifism rather than righteous defense in the face of evil?

Seems like, yes, perhaps there is some confusion or controversy on translation.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    McVeigh's dead and six feet under ground. I'm pretty sure I'm not.

And neither you nor Jludo has answered my question; not that I expect that you can.

The same as you not answering mine in regards to where it says in Quran to enslave and kill you, not that I expect you can.

Last edited:

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    The Ten Commandments, Killing, and Murder: A Detailed Commentary

Seems like, yes, perhaps there is some confusion or controversy on translation.

I see your point, but the only prominent English translation that presents this verse as "kill" rather than "murder" is the King James. I realize that the King James is quite prominent in many circles, but in the general evangelical world the New International Version (NIV) and the New American Standard Bible (NASB) are among the most popular versions of Scripture. The NIV is more of a "phrase for phrase" translation, while the NASB aims for "word for word" equivalency. Both versions translate this verse to say "murder" instead of "kill." My point is simply this: good, modern English translations overcome many of the issues with the King James Version. Essential doctrines are quite clear in these versions without the need to exegete Hebrew or Koine Greek.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    On my phone and not interested in countering beyond.what I already have. Anyone can pick up a history book, including two ive recommended, and see plenty of not doing that, or simply look at the Muslim world not pushing its borders today to see that this isn't true. Notice how there are still communities of religous minorities in many Islamic nations with full rights, etc?

Im also tired of the "real Muslim" argument. You can make any group anuthing with a No True Scotsman argument.
    The "real Muslim" argument is a double edged sword and speaks to public perceptions of Islam. I've met and worked with enough Moslems to know better than to be unaware of the variations in everything from religious observance, ethnicity, and language, not to mention politics. But, what Spencer Rifle posted does represent the likes of ISIS/al queda/hamas/boko haram/republic-of-iran/ad nauseum today. now. I think part of the reason for that is that saudi wahabis and the moslem brotherhood, with the help of petro dollars to spread THEIR madrassas, seem to 'speak louder' than other Moslem voices.

About defending against Islam being tiresome, I get it, I often tune out of this forum periodically. If you do leave, it will be INGO's loss

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    McVeigh's dead and six feet under ground. I'm pretty sure I'm not.

And neither you nor Jludo has answered my question; not that I expect that you can. Sorry, not Jludo, but 7.62.

Right, but you got my point. What does INGO say if a cop disarms a motorist? How can I tell if you're a cop killer or just regular ol' gun carrier?

How do I know if the guy walking toward me on the sidewalk is going to mug me?

There's no foolproof way, but we all have instincts to detect the animal in the herd that's gone mad. Training and honing those can work wonders. Are you familiar with the military's Combat Hunter program? Or Predictive Profiling/Behavior profiling? They both have excellent success rates and detecting those intending to do harm, regardless of motive.

Do you really believe there's no way to tell upcoming criminal intent? Even if we accept that as true, does that mean we treat everyone we meet as a potential violent criminal? You're at way more danger from random street criminals than from jihadis. What do you do about that?

Top Bottom