Discovering and visiting a WW2 bunker in Normandy, France.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    scw9py.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can tell that other bunkers are hidden around this ones.Those ones fully underground.
    You can still see some unatural bumps in that field.In some places small concrete blocks sticking from the ground.

33oi92t.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Probably broken glass from old wine bottles, human and animal waste, used syringes and other bio-hazardous material. Those were some of the dangers I experienced while touring a WWII bunker guarding the coast on a U.S. Army base in Port Townsend, Washington across from Seattle. If those walls could talk......
    YES ! You should go inside ! What does the "danger " sign say in the second pic , danger from what , falling or old ordnance ?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Awesome buddy!!! Now break me off one of those outter pebbles :):
    that long section looks like tunnel?
    we need to get sylvain a shuvle and metal detector

Think of all the Nazi gold I could find. :D

I dont think there is a tunnel.The other underground bunkers are quite far away from this one and they must have been fully burried after the war.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You might find this interesting.
    It's 18 minutes long, but worth it.

[video=vimeo;128373915]https://vimeo.com/128373915[/video]

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks for the bump, great pics.

So for a traveler, what is the ease of getting to the beaches from Paris?
    My fiance went to Paris several years ago with a friend, and due to said friend had a less than stellar time. I would like to go to take her to Paris, and if I'm going all that way- I want to visit the Normandy area.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the bump, great pics.

So for a traveler, what is the ease of getting to the beaches from Paris?
    My fiance went to Paris several years ago with a friend, and due to said friend had a less than stellar time. I would like to go to take her to Paris, and if I'm going all that way- I want to visit the Normandy area.

I guess the easiest way would be by train from Paris to Caen and then by bus to go to the beaches.
    I'm not really sure since I travel by car but I could look into that in more detail if you really want to plan a trip there.:dunno:

You could also rent a car in Paris and take the highway if you're not afraid of possibly getting lost.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I guess the easiest way would be by train from Paris to Caen and then by bus to go to the beaches.
    I'm not really sure since I travel by car but I could look into that in more detail if you really want to plan a trip there.:dunno:

You could also rent a car in Paris and take the highway if you're not afraid of possibly getting lost.

Thank you for the info. It probably will not be for a couple years, the fiance has to finish up her MBA, but is something we have discussed.
    Her friend she went with was into the "budget" trip and was not much fun.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Awesome Thread! Thanks so much for posting. My FIL was a prisoner of the German Luftwaffe at Stalag Luft III when D-Day was happening. He is still with us, and has an oral presentation that he has given many times. Sad to think that most of those that survived the war are now gone. Nice to see some of the structures are still around.

Top Bottom