• ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Turkish invasion of Iraq, huh?

Wonder in whose favor....

Their own. The northern part of Iraq contains the Kurds. They have been talking about carving out their own nation for years (gained steam after GW1). Turks and Kurds = oil and water. Turkey certainly doesn't want an organized hostile nation on their border. Turkey is obviously more powerful, but they better bring their lunch. They start a conflict with Iraqi Kurds, which I think is unlikely, then they better recognize their own Kurds might take issue (militarily) against them. Probably and epic dumb move.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Their own. The northern part of Iraq contains the Kurds. They have been talking about carving out their own nation for years (gained steam after GW1). Turks and Kurds = oil and water. Turkey certainly doesn't want an organized hostile nation on their border. Turkey is obviously more powerful, but they better bring their lunch. They start a conflict with Iraqi Kurds, which I think is unlikely, then they better recognize their own Kurds might take issue (militarily) against them. Probably and epic dumb move.
    So do you think end goal Kurdish buffer state is a possibility, or is Turkey going to attempt to beat back ISIS and set their thumb on Iraq as a whole? Or beat back ISIS and hope the Kurds are favorable? Or beat back ISIS and hope Iraq is favorable? I don't think Iraq will be big on Kurdish independence.

I'm not seeing a lot of scenarios in which this isn't likely to turn into a total quagmire for the Turks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If Turkey invades northern Iraq, it'll be (as mentioned) to set up a Kurdish buffer that they control.

If the Kurds are invading Iraq, it'll be to set up a new nation.

Hard to tell how the dominoes would fall in either scenario.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    America is too complacent at this point, IMHO. Well, complacent and isolationist.

The only way we get involved in WWIII is going to be like the WWII template, IMHO. Things get bad for our allies, we try to stay out of it, until there's an existential threat.

If Putin remains in power, I suspect we won't recognize the existential threat to our primary allies until it is over.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    America is too complacent at this point, IMHO. Well, complacent and isolationist.

The only way we get involved in WWIII is going to be like the WWII template, IMHO. Things get bad for our allies, we try to stay out of it, until there's an existential threat.

If Putin remains in power, I suspect we won't recognize the existential threat to our primary allies until it is over.

Are we still worried about of new friends the Russian? Seems like China is the one we're heading towards a confrontation with. If look for them to push the issue when Trump takes office, if he keeps playing checkers while in a chess game.

Kut (wants to know how much a good bunker costs)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Relax Kut
    China is a paper tiger they have no real way to project power.
    They are more interested in$$$ and how to cheat us in trade "bigly"

I guess they do have a few nuclear weapons ah what the heck you only live once.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Relax Kut
    China is a paper tiger they have no real way to project power.
    They are more interested in$$$ and how to cheat us in trade "bigly"

I guess they do have a few nuclear weapons ah what the heck you only live once.

I don't think China is a paper tiger. They have traditionally proven, when their interests are threatened, they will act.

Top Bottom