• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I'm curious, what meat do we import? Last I checked we pretty much rule the roost in cattle, pork, and chicken production.

"Meat from foreign sources accounts for roughly 8-20 percent of total U.S. meat supplies, but only the portions that are imported directly as meat are obvious. While it is relatively easy to track the amount of meat imported by the U.S. (2.1 billion pounds of beef and 0.8 billion pounds of pork in 2011)"

USDA ERS - How Much U.S. Meat Comes From Foreign Sources?

If you snoop around that site, you'll find spreadsheets and other files that break it down further.

It doesn't mean that we need to import it, we have trade deals with other countries. (just like Russia) and in some cases, the imported meat has a specific grade or use and can be had at less expensive price.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm curious, what meat do we import? Last I checked we pretty much rule the roost in cattle, pork, and chicken production.

America is more or less food secure. Sometimes its cheaper to export food in one area of the country, and import it into a different area. Its a big country.

Russia on the other hand, imports a huge amount of meat products from us.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's such a slippery slope with Russia/Ukraine and Israel/Gaza because neither sides are backing down. Israel's campaign could literally boil a terrorists blood and Putin is hated by many. I think NATO will have the biggest deciding factor in a WWIII event due to their location as well as their size and ability to mobilize. All depends on what the "Powers that Be".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, it helped that some shelling cleared the way.

I mean, humanitarian artillery makes complete sense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. Sometimes movies try to fake reality, and sometimes reality seems like a bad movie. Or even a good movie.

Remember the movie Wag the Dog? One political party trumps up a conflict, that then the other party makes up something about, and it goes back and forth, getting more absurd.

This article is about how the Donetsk "defense minister" Strelkov (a Russian) quit. Ok, not big deal.
    BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Rebel military chief Strelkov 'quits'

Then this:
    "The [Donetsk People's Republic] already has a new defence minister."
    Mr Borodai said the new minister went by the nom de guerre Tsar.

Yes, that's right, the new (ostensibly Ukrainian) rebel defense minister is using the title of Russian aristocracy as his nom de guerre. That makes no sense. At least "strelkov" has a relationship with military stuff - archery/shooting.

Just struck me as bizarre - something you couldn't make up. Maybe its just me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting take from the Beeb:
    BBC News - Ukraine 'hits Russia armoured column' amid aid impasse

They also caption this pic:
    _76972271_qokb749i.jpg

A pro-Russian militia tank moves along a street in Donetsk

2 things:
    1) That's pretty heavy firepower for a militia unit.
    B) That's not a tank. Its a 2S1 Gvozdika 122mm self propelled howitzer. Basically mobile artillery.

Yes, Ukraine operates the 2S1, so it might have defected. Regardless, that's big boom boom.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting take from the Beeb:
    BBC News - Ukraine 'hits Russia armoured column' amid aid impasse

They also caption this pic:
    _76972271_qokb749i.jpg

2 things:
    1) That's pretty heavy firepower for a militia unit.
    B) That's not a tank. Its a 2S1 Gvozdika 122mm self propelled howitzer. Basically mobile artillery.

Yes, Ukraine operates the 2S1, so it might have defected. Regardless, that's big boom boom.

Looks like the 55th artillery was stationed in Zaporizhia since the fall of the Soviet Union,so most likely under rebel control.
    Ukrainian Ground Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A brief update:
    BBC News - Ukraine customs checks start on Russian aid convoy

Nineteen Ukrainian troops have died battling rebels in a strategic town east of Donetsk, the government says.
    Ukraine's National Guard has sent extra mortars and anti-tank weapons to the volunteers fighting the pro-Russian separatists in Ilovaisk, officials say.
    Interesting that there is a subtle shift to Ukrainian volunteers fighting pro-Russian volunteers. Not sure how true it is - on either side of the equation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, that "aid" convoy from Russia entered Ukrainian territory - "without permission" and without the assistance of the Red Cross.
    BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Russia aid trucks 'an invasion'
    A senior official in Kiev has accused Russia of invading Ukraine after Russian humanitarian aid lorries crossed the border without permission.
    Security chief Valentyn Nalyvaychenko said it was a "direct invasion" but no force would be used against the convoy.
    The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was not part of the convoy "in any way".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That whole thing seems orchestrated to me.

Ukrainian gov't didn't want to authorize it, but didn't want the PR nightmare of denying entry. They also said they won't attack it or stop it.

But, they welcome the opportunity to ... complain about it.

Top Bottom