• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just out of curiosity, which does more damage to deep underground facilities, nuclear or those big bunker-buster type bombs? Or maybe something else? I don't know about these things..

Depends on how deep, how it's reinforced, through what kind of ground structure, and what effects your looking for. It's like selecting the right gun for the job...or wrench for that matter. Tell us what you want and we'll go to the tool box and see what we've got. If we don't have the right tool we will in short order...there's work to be done.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Has the US ever tested a deep penetration micro-nuke?
    The political fallout could be a sticky wicket. And needing mass for penetration, perhaps making a deep penetrator nuclear would be pointless. But as much money as they burn through for bangs and booms surely we have a few stuck back somewhere for a rainy day.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Robust yield in a small package is very much dependent on precise geometric relationship of the parts, might be difficult to obtain reliability of the payload in the high-G environment of penetration of deep earth or re-inforced structure

W88 is 475 kilotons and can be placed practically on an installation's door step. Ground burst likely to do the trick through direct seismic impact and compromise of any ground based systems such as air intakes and ingress/egress systems

Being buried deep underground without much air is a reasonable substitute for a direct kill

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Robust yield in a small package is very much dependent on precise geometric relationship of the parts, might be difficult to obtain reliability of the payload in the high-G environment of penetration of deep earth or re-inforced structure

W88 is 475 kilotons and can be placed practically on an installation's door step. Ground burst likely to do the trick through direct seismic impact and compromise of any ground based systems such as air intakes and ingress/egress systems

Being buried deep underground without much air is a reasonable substitute for a direct kill

I wonder if we've loaned Israel any of these W88's? Or maybe they have their own substitute of equal effectiveness. I can't believe they'll let Iran achieve full weapons-ready status. What do you think the ramifications would be if Israel were to 'modify' Iran's nuclear ambitions?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Heads > the fall of the Iranian regime

Tails > all out war, and the fall of the Iranian regime

The best strategy would be to smuggle a nuke into the facility and detonate it underground, then blame it on their weapons program. A state-level version on shoot/shovel/shut-up

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Looks as though President Trump could be the wild card. Attacking Iran may be the means of quieting down the political attacks here at home because after all, what is his offense to the king makers except not going along with the agenda of the Shrub/Soetoro regimes?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    ....and dropping all those old surplus bombs is a hell of a lot cheaper than dismantling them.

Well crap!
    I picked a bad time to be out of marshmallows. :(

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder if we've loaned Israel any of these W88's? Or maybe they have their own substitute of equal effectiveness. I can't believe they'll let Iran achieve full weapons-ready status. What do you think the ramifications would be if Israel were to 'modify' Iran's nuclear ambitions?

The W88 is one of the most advanced nucs made, thought to make use of an oblate primary that reduces diameter while keeping yield high. I would imagine the design and manufacture techniques are a close secret.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Looks as though President Trump could be the wild card. Attacking Iran may be the means of quieting down the political attacks here at home because after all, what is his offense to the king makers except not going along with the agenda of the Shrub/Soetoro regimes?

God, I hope not. Even though traditionally, starting wars abroad are how you silence critics at home. Given his failing Mid East policy, I would not be surprised if he did.

Top Bottom