• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Can you suggest someone better? The term 'Merica didn't come about because we were petty nothings.

America runs the world, that's how it is, and we should remain the #1 superpower. We lead in all things important.

Other sovereign nations be damned. Got it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Other sovereign nations be damned. Got it.

Point out where I said or suggested negativity toward other sovereign nations.

There are no other countries as great as ours on this earth. The leader of America is the leader of the free world. I know you've heard the term before... but you may just disagree with it.

No other country has the influence and power that we have. If they want to pony up and pay for the UN, let 'em.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're probably right, it's not like we would invade a sovereign nation over trumped up charges of WMD's so we could protect our financial interests and fight a war there for 10 years or anything.

I understand what you're trying to say, and IMO, the invasion of Iraq was wrong. However, the US made the case prior to invasion. We were spoonfed a bunch of BS information: the possession if WNDs (which meant nuclear weapons, in violation of treaty), the supposed connection between Saddam and 9/11, and a number of other reasons. Hell, the UN passed a resolution ordering Iraq to disarm or face consequences. Obviously, they couldn't disarm, because they had nothing, but nevertheless they were considered in violation, and the US responded with invasion. In other words, the US acted due to the universal belief (at that time) that Iraq was ignoring international law, re-arming, and possessed WMDs. Given, after Gulf War 1, Iraq had made assurances concerning their behavior, and had actually ignored a number of them, if one was to believe the other allegations, then it's incredibly difficult to say invasion was completely wrong.

There no similarity to the Russian-Ukraine dynamic. The two have not had open hostilities in the near past, there are no sanctions for them to ignore, the treatment of the "ethnic" Russian population isn't even remotely close that of the Kurds in Iraq. Russia hasn't even attempted to give an explaination, concerning their invasion, that doesn't make people roll their eyes, or chuckle in disbelief. They would do well, in the future, by making something plausible up, than invading first, and then scrambling to find reasons to world would accept.

In America, when we want to invade, we make stuff up, have the world believe it, and after the invasion we say "oops." In Russia, they simply invade, and say "so?"

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    No other country has the influence and power that we have. If they want to pony up and pay for the UN, let 'em.

I'd love to agree with you but, regrettably, we are living in the past tense of American greatness. We even have a Commangina-in-Chief who has been apologetic of our (former) greatness and the things we represented during our period of greatness. That was the same period of greatness when we did indeed lead the free world and were a respected and feared superpower. It's great to have national pride but in the eyes of much of the world, including our allies, the wussification of The United States of America is almost complete.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    In America, when we want to invade, we make stuff up, have the world believe it, and after the invasion we say "oops." In Russia, they simply invade, and say "so?"
    Exactly, as I said -- we would have done the same thing. Yes, we spin lies and try to convince our allies to join us in our dirty work but the net result is the same. We send in our military to impose our will on sovereign nations fairly regularly, the rest is semantics.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Despite the Russian military movements over seas I did have some good news come of this: My girlfriend's dad isn't coming home from Afghanistan for good this year. He had a 10 year extension added to his civi contractor service at the FOB he's currently stationed at. He couldn't be happier haha.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Point out where I said or suggested negativity toward other sovereign nations.

There are no other countries as great as ours on this earth. The leader of America is the leader of the free world. I know you've heard the term before... but you may just disagree with it.

You wouldn't tolerate foreign troops marching down our streets and meddling in our affairs. Why should other countries have to put up with ours?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Exactly, as I said -- we would have done the same thing. Yes, we spin lies and try to convince our allies to join us in our dirty work but the net result is the same. We send in our military to impose our will on sovereign nations fairly regularly, the rest is semantics.

I took you say that's it's "the exact same thing under different circumstances," to indicate that the US would mirror what Russia has done: invade a nation with little or no notice, and without attempting to provide justification, prior to. I don't think that's semantics, that's a major difference. I still think that the US would rather use diplomacy to solve its issues, than take the course Russia has, which is immediate military action. We may bully some nations, but at least we give them the chance to "correct," their problems before we annexing the place.
    This is clearly an act of aggression, that has more similarities to the partition of Poland, by the Reich, than the invasion of Iraq.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I took you say that's it's "the exact same thing under different circumstances," to indicate that the US would mirror what Russia has done: invade a nation with little or no notice, and without attempting to provide justification, prior to. I don't think that's semantics, that's a major difference. I still think that the US would rather use diplomacy to solve its issues, than take the course Russia has, which is immediate military action. We may bully some nations, but at least we give them the chance to "correct," their problems before we annexing the place.
    This is clearly an act of aggression, that has more similarities to the partition of Poland, by the Reich, than the invasion of Iraq.
    You and I see events in different light. You see the US as being a bit more nobel and above board than the Russians. I see it the exact opposite. We lie, cheat and steal then invade. Russia just invades and forgoes the BS of trying to convince the world it's justified in protecting its interests. We waste a bunch of time and money spinning lies to demonize our adversaries and to convince the world they need to back our play, then we go in and kill people. Russia doesn't care what the world thinks, they just act.

Again, the net result is the same -- we invade sovereign countries to protect our national interests.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Despite the Russian military movements over seas I did have some good news come of this: My girlfriend's dad isn't coming home from Afghanistan for good this year. He had a 10 year extension added to his civi contractor service at the FOB he's currently stationed at. He couldn't be happier haha.

a 10 year contract extension? wowzers

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm sure missile defense was probably all it was about...

[video=youtube;iYGsadcBiFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGsadcBiFA[/video]

"This is my last election," Obama is heard telling outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. "After my election, I have more flexibility."

He must be talking about his Yoga Positions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom