Did Law Change? Unreal incident at clinic...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    OC is so risky for a civilian because it only takes one person who doesn't approve to say something and suddenly your LTCH is just a piece of paper and somehow you're a criminal for carrying and you deserve to be examined as closely as possible in hopes that you might have something out of order. I prefer to fly below the radar.:twocents:

poot92-5.jpg

How many times does it have to be said? This is NOT the OC/CC Debate thread! The OC already happened, so debating it in this thread is:

A: Off topic
    B: Pointless

:n00b:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am going to the college in the morning to change my major to auto mechanics..I don't want to be a part of this bull****.

PLEASE rethink this statement. Are you telling me that what you dealt with is the only kind of people we need to be LEO's? There are good and bad in everything and hopefully things balance out somewhere where they need to be. But to give up a chosen profession because of this issue is the wrong road to take.

IMHO

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I open carry because it is the most comfortable form of carry for me. Period. Why do police open carry? Is it the same reason why they leave their cars running even if their in a 19 hour standoff? I have heard the car stays on because it is just another obstacle they want to avoid when responding to a call. Adjusting my shirt to pull out my weapon is an obstacle I don't want either.

But, why do police open carry? I was told I am not tactical and I am the first target..great? I accept that if it is the truth. But he's not a first target? HE is a deterrent because of his uniform? Negative.

and I didn't throw anyone under the bus because I didn't mention that officers name. But realistically you'd think he'd say "Hey guys I know this guy, no way hes doing anything wrong and he paid me $200 for that illegal tint on his car.." instead he treated me like he's never seen me in my life. It was excellent to see how people act in different environments. He was my ***** when he screwed up the tint and had to fix it at mercy and for no money, but when he's got the shield on I am his *****.

You certainly attempted to throw the guy under the bus. You stated that an officer put illegal tint on your vehicle. Fact of the matter, there is no such thing as illegal tint. A person can have limo tint 360 around their vehicle, and it's perfectly legal.... it becomes illegal, when a person operates it on a public highway.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    No, we got that you don't like OC, but I think we were trying to stick to the point instead of derailing the conversation into yet another of the dozens of discussions on the relative merits of CC vs OC already on INGO.
    i wasnt turning it into a debate. if i see someone open carrying i could care less. its just that it seems like we hear about one of these situations about once a week. you can spend a bunch of money on a lawyer and get nowhere or you could just let it go. because thats where he is gonna get with this...nowhere.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...its just that it seems like we hear about one of these situations about once a week...

That is fantastic news! (It used to be twice a week. ;))

Thanks, those of you who are willing to clear up the misinformation and make things better for all Indiana gun carriers! :patriot:

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    When one makes the, perfectly legal, choice to OC, unfortunately, that choice invites the unwanted attentions of the uneducated. This is why I always choose to CC, I do not have time to suffer fools. If OP had simply chose to CC, he would not be facing all of the hassles that have been described here-within. Exercising ones RIGHTS, sometimes, is more time consuming than should be.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When one makes the, perfectly legal, choice to OC, unfortunately, that choice invites the unwanted attentions of the uneducated. This is why I always choose to CC, I do not have time to suffer fools. If OP had simply chose to CC, he would not be facing all of the hassles that have been described here-within. Exercising ones RIGHTS, sometimes, is more time consuming than should be.

If patriots had simply chosen to submit 236 years ago, think of how much more time we'd all save without any rights to exercise.

If you don't make time to suffer a few fools and the related hassle, they will likely end up ruling you by sheer numbers and greater levels of activity.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It is people like the OP suffering fools which helps allow others not to suffer those same fools

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

You can continue to hide your rights under your shirt. Others will continue to be willing to stand up for their rights. You're welcome.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    You can continue to hide your rights under your shirt. Others will continue to be willing to stand up for their rights. You're welcome.
    This is what annoys me about many OCers. Because a person prefers to CC they are automatically wrong.

I OC at work and CC away from work. I'm not hiding it. I'm exercising my right to CC. You're free to make your own choice.

You're welcome.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    This is what annoys me about many OCers. Because a person prefers to CC they are automatically wrong.

I OC at work and CC away from work. I'm not hiding it. I'm exercising my right to CC. You're free to make your own choice.

You're welcome.

How many times have you heard me say that I'll support whatever choice you make? Take a look at almost all the thread jacks, I'll wait.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

You realize this statement is utter crap, right? Show me a post where someone jumps into a thread and (being actually serious) states that you should OC and condemns someone for their choice to CC.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Come on guys, there are plenty of loopholes in HIPPA regs. Normally there isn't any problem giving some info to police responding to a call. You would be hard pressed to win on this point.

QUOTE=Roadie;2232373]That is an interesting point. So the question is, legally, can HIPAA be broken by giving info to the Police during an investigation, without a warrant? :dunno:

So, I did some research.

When does the Privacy Rule allow covered entities to disclose protected health information to law enforcement officials?

This seems to indicate a written request would be required, at the least, for PHI to be released to a Police Officer..

IANAL, I didnt stay at Holiday Inn Express, etc[/QUOTE]

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This is what annoys me about many OCers. Because a person prefers to CC they are automatically wrong...

I never see that, though the reasons given for the preference are sometimes questionable.

The assumption that fools and any related attention based on their ignorance are better avoided than corrected seems to be some sort of universal excuse to "gently correct" the poor misguided OCers who obviously don't know that it easier to just hide it.

That presumption got called.

Those who are actually willing to endure such hassle don't care so much how others carry, but they should probably get a bit more support from other carriers at the least.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would really like to know what LEOs are taught concerning the laws of the state. I hear enough about "officer safety," but never anything -- with a few exceptions -- about citizen's rights.
    Academy training is Constitutional Law. Very little if any specific Indiana law. That is learned on the job.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Can we get this back on track and away from this stupid OC/CC debate? It's been done. The thread was going great.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Academy training is Constitutional Law. Very little if any specific Indiana law. That is learned on the job.

Thanks, Denny. However, if it is learned on the job, how is it taught and who teaches? Also, are these classes mandatory and necessary to be allowed on the street? It appears the classes are voluntary, according to the number of errors that are posted on INGO. I'm not saying all threads are reported with 100% facts, but there are enough to give some credence to the notion that OJT about Indiana law is terribly lacking in the LE community.

Top Bottom