• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The last handgun I purchased at the 1500, I did not write in my SS# and there was no delay. I think people are just scared into providing it when it is not necessary...wonder how many of you will fearfully fully complete your census forms.;)

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Was delayed on my first HG purchase around 4 years ago. Made a new purchase at the most recent 1500 with no delay. I would say this leads to disprove "once delayed, always delayed". It may come down to a timing issue, depending on volume of calls they have at that particular moment. Provided SSN both times.

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    The all the SSN does is speed up the check. Your name is Joe Smith, white, 30yo there might be another Joe Smith(WHAT ARE THE ODDS!?) who is white 30 and lives in Kentucky with 3 felony convictions. Unless the transaction is denied or delayed NICS has to purge personal information every 24 hours.

Besides the dealer has to write your drivers license information in the 4473, besides, buy more than one handgun at once, you get a multiple sale report filled out with your name and DL number on it. Once copy goes to NICS another to the state police.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I went to Dicks today to purchase a 10/22 and when he called it in they told him to hold it up. The guy said I wasnt denied just that they said to hold it up. Anyone else ran into this lately? First gun I've bought in years,Last time I bought one , you showed your LTC permit and they let you take it home that day. Weird . He said if I didnt hear from him in a couple days to call them. Only thing is? Who would you call? Anyone got a number?
    Call Dick's Thursday if you haven't heard from them. Sounds like you've been delayed and they have 3 business days to proceed or deny. Saying you did it today (which I don't believe counts as a day), you have Mon, Tues and Wednesday to wait. Thursday would be the day you can pick up your firearm if they don't call you before then.

The waiting game sucks!! I've been delayed EVERY purchase and that's with putting my ssn down.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was put on "hold" last year when purchasing my first handgun in many years. When I got home, there was a message on the phone to come pick it up.

Owner of the LGS said probably someone with my name hasn't been good lately and after they ran my SSN I was good to go. Because of this, he told me from now on I should always include my number on the app to keep from being put on hold anymore. Since then I have bought 3 more hanguns and 1 rifle without any problems.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    When the NICS first came out, I got delayed every time. The last 2 times I was not. I've held a permit for many years. I miss the old days when your permit was good enough evidence of honest intent.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Over 37 purchases and had to wait 3 days for every one. SSN every time. No record. They chase my friends out the door asking do you have enough ammo and/or holster. They laugh at me and I just turn green from being sick. Could be worse I guess

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    They send mine for further review about every other time, but it's never taked more than a few minutes to clear. I've been putting my SSN on there, but I think I'm gonna do without next time and see what happens. Does anyone know if your SSN is what slows things up?

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    They send mine for further review about every other time, but it's never taked more than a few minutes to clear. I've been putting my SSN on there, but I think I'm gonna do without next time and see what happens. Does anyone know if your SSN is what slows things up?

The SSN speeds up the check. But no harm in trying, might be interesting to see if you are approved quicker or have to wait 3 days.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I was delayed today for the third time. I called the ATF to speak with someone, and got the run around about warrents, restraining orders, etc. I have made many firearm purchases, and usually don't have a problem. Go figure I am leaving town all week for work, and really wanted to take my new shotgun with me to the indoor range up in Cincinnati. :xmad:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I always have as well. When I talked with the lady at the ATF (who was very nice by the way) she pulled up my name, and told me in a round about way why I was being delayed. She told me because of the Patriot Act she couldn't tell me specifically, but I got into some trouble about 10 years ago as a Juvenile (criminal tresspass), and the charges were dropped, but remain on my record. I was not aware that stuff like that played a part in a NICS check.

Top Bottom