• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    3 of the 4 bills introduced have been by Republicans, one by Jim Lucas (HB1168- Medical Marijuana), and another co-sponsored by Lucas (HB1232- Partial Decriminalization). A third bill (HB1212- Medical and Adult Use Cannabis) was introduced by Republican Jake Teshka, who is a co-sponsor of HB1232 with Lucas. Looks like there is a movement brewing. Obviously HB1212 would move significantly faster than the others, but the language in HB1168 is not bad, it is closer to Michigan law than Ohio law, which is huge- Ohio legalization efforts have been terrible.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ohio legalization efforts have been terrible.
    That's not entirely accurate, they have been outstandingly corrupt. I think they have the honor of having the only bill for legalization that NORML came out and said they don't support it. IIRC it not only specified the total amount of land that could be used for commercial production, but actually specified the exact plots. All of which were owned by something like 3 people.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here you go, newRastas. As I warned, politicians see a chance to perhaps claw back some market share by supporting legalization. All you have to do is sell a little bit of your soul and vote Democratic. Sorry, $60k jobs will be far fewer than 30000 and go exclusively to friends, family and those connected to large donors
    Why vote Dem? Here in IN 3 out of the so far 4 bills regarding MJ legalization/decrimilization/medical use are authored by Repubs. Including Rep Lucas who I'm sure you're familiar with from the 2nd Amendment thread.
    View attachment 174719

Prescription opioid deaths in California declined slightly after legalization (2016), Heroin and synthetic opioid deaths up, esp. synthetic deaths. Overall, up by about 25% since legalization (source CDC)
    And still lower than a large part of the country.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    That's not entirely accurate, they have been outstandingly corrupt. I think they have the honor of having the only bill for legalization that NORML came out and said they don't support it. IIRC it not only specified the total amount of land that could be used for commercial production, but actually specified the exact plots. All of which were owned by something like 3 people.
    Their laws are so bad! Their list of qualifying conditions is basically just terminal cancer. They have square footage limits for cultivation facilities, which is essentially choking off supply to the dispensaries. Lots of red tape and restrictions. We need to draw lessons from each of the states, that's really the only benefit we have from waiting so long to legalize, we get to learn from the mistakes of other states. There are also plenty of studies as far as DUI, health effects, etc that should ease peoples minds who might be on the fence.

I left a message for Jim Lucas today to try and get more specifics from the bill, but the bill basically just lays out the outline that the Board of Health will oversee the fine print of the regulations. Michigan has essentially opened up everything to everyone. If you meet the requirements, you can have a license. Ohio has made it into a lottery drawing where 20 groups of applicants are hoping to get drawn for 1 new license available in the district.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    The Indiana residents are crossing borders and that revenue is going to those other states. All about the money.
    I agree 100% it's all about the money. On the flipside of that, Indiana still prosecutes for SOME possession charges. They can become very costly to the offender over small amount of Marijuana. They are going to make their money one way or the other. Overall I agree with you...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Their laws are so bad! Their list of qualifying conditions is basically just terminal cancer. They have square footage limits for cultivation facilities, which is essentially choking off supply to the dispensaries. Lots of red tape and restrictions. We need to draw lessons from each of the states, that's really the only benefit we have from waiting so long to legalize, we get to learn from the mistakes of other states. There are also plenty of studies as far as DUI, health effects, etc that should ease peoples minds who might be on the fence.

I left a message for Jim Lucas today to try and get more specifics from the bill, but the bill basically just lays out the outline that the Board of Health will oversee the fine print of the regulations. Michigan has essentially opened up everything to everyone. If you meet the requirements, you can have a license. Ohio has made it into a lottery drawing where 20 groups of applicants are hoping to get drawn for 1 new license available in the district.
    I was just checking one of the bills by Lucas out. $60k for first year permit for a grower/processor/dispensary. And I think that would apply to any the "medical marijuana organization" did, so if they grew and processed it would be $120k first year. $10k each non refundable permit application fee and a $50k permit fee, just $10k each to renew.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was just checking one of the bills by Lucas out. $60k for first year permit for a grower/processor/dispensary. And I think that would apply to any the "medical marijuana organization" did, so if they grew and processed it would be $120k first year. $10k each non refundable permit application fee and a $50k permit fee, just $10k each to renew.
    Well who doesn't have that kind of scratch laying around? God forbid they allow someone who isn't already a millionaire try to earn a living.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Immaterial, the contested point was the assertion that opioid deaths go down when a state legalizes. They do not
    in 25 of 29 legal states, opioid emergencies, deaths, and usage has went down. Some states, as much as 33 percent. Damn communist dopers rasta ganja bad guys!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Indiana Democrats want to legalize medical and recreational marijuana. They say it will generate a lot of tax revenue.
    Obviously, the next step is to legalize prostitution. It will also generate tax revenue and attract conventions (except the FFA) to the state. Additionally, it will provide employment for unskilled young people who don't want to bother with schooling.

Add purple if you think necessary.
    Liberals would sell their souls, and their mother`s souls for more tax monies. Never mind that they`re contributing to the downfall and misery and suffering of even MORE people.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Liberals would sell their souls, and their mother`s souls for more tax monies. Never mind that they`re contributing to the downfall and misery and suffering of even MORE people.
    Wait, what people are suffering again? The ones who dont have access to something that relieves a symptom of an illness or condition they have?

And there are 4 bills that have been introduced, 3 by Republicans. The lone bill introduced by a democrat will likely have no chance of passing. So I'm not really sure who is selling their soul for money, either.

I want it to be legalized without all the ******** taxes. No other industry has to deal with this level of taxation and oversight. The tax revenue isnt the reason for legalization. Freedom of choice is, remember? Or does freedom only apply when you want it? The same people bitching about a vaccine choice for their body are the ones bitching about someone else's body choices that dont affect them.

I don't care if you agree with someone else's choice on what they ingest. One thing is clear, it has not led to all these catastrophic scenerios the tighty whiteys keep claiming- the workers will be lazy! Traffic fatalities will skyrocket! Your Dr. will be performing surgery from the MOON!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Wait, what people are suffering again? The ones who dont have access to something that relieves a symptom of an illness or condition they have?

And there are 4 bills that have been introduced, 3 by Republicans. The lone bill introduced by a democrat will likely have no chance of passing. So I'm not really sure who is selling their soul for money, either.

I want it to be legalized without all the ******** taxes. No other industry has to deal with this level of taxation and oversight. The tax revenue isnt the reason for legalization. Freedom of choice is, remember? Or does freedom only apply when you want it? The same people bitching about a vaccine choice for their body are the ones bitching about someone else's body choices that dont affect them.

I don't care if you agree with someone else's choice on what they ingest. One thing is clear, it has not led to all these catastrophic scenerios the tighty whiteys keep claiming- the workers will be lazy! Traffic fatalities will skyrocket! Your Dr. will be performing surgery from the MOON!
    The LAST thing we need in the state are even MORE mind altered, distracted idiots operating motor vehicles. And the medicinal uses are achieved minus the stuff that gets you high.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    The LAST thing we need in the state are even MORE mind altered, distracted idiots operating motor vehicles. And the medicinal uses are achieved minus the stuff that gets you high.
    Right. There are no medicinal uses for THC, only CBD huh? There is too much to unpack in that to even address it, but that is not close to the truth.

It's like you just jumped into the conversation way down stream and havent paid attention to anything else that's been said. It is illegal to drive under the influence. Period. Did Sunday alcohol sales lead to more DUIs, crashes, etc on Sundays? Or was that just more convenient for you since you didn't have to drive to a bar?

There increase in traffic accidents has been negligible. Nevada crash and fatality rates declined after legalization. It's still illegal to drive under the influence, and that is something that will need addressed with legalization. There is not a foolproof sobriety test currently.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Immaterial, the contested point was the assertion that opioid deaths go down when a state legalizes. They do not
    I wouldn't necessarily say immaterial. And you admitted yourself that they dropped in CA after legalization, well at least for prescription opiods. Although from your graph it looks like the total for all opiod ODs dropped slightly. They did increase later.
    And it could be part of the reason they have stayed well lower than the national average.

You do know the only federally legal prescription is for synthetic d-9 THC, you know the stuff that gets you high? Well one of the things in it that does. If all the medical uses are achieved minus that, why is it the only FDA approved med?

There are a couple of other things in it that will get you high, and those substances are legal federally and I believe in every state. I do know they are legal in IN, I see signs advertising them all over. And you do know it would still be a crime to be intoxicated by MJ even if these were to pass, same as it is right now.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    in 25 of 29 legal states, opioid emergencies, deaths, and usage has went down. Some states, as much as 33 percent. Damn communist dopers rasta ganja bad guys!

No, actually - now that you've properly qualified your statement - I can see how it might. BTW, are you saying each category - emergencies, deaths and usage - showed a drop or the just aggregate of all three

Even California had a drop in deaths from prescription opioids. I could see the people that are legit on opioids for pain getting off them if MJ would do the job. That could mean less people at risk of slipping into addiction and less pills offered for illicit sale. In Cali they had an increase in heroin deaths as well as a sharp increase in non-prescription synthetics (such as fentanyl) but that is probably a completely different segment of the user population

Edit: If you are going to use NORML as an 'unbiased' source, does that mean I can use CALM?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'll ask you a question. What is the stoner culture? Is it similar to the alcoholic culture? The nicotine user culture?

Also why do you differentiate between alcohol and other intoxicating drugs? .
    Been a bit too busy for INGO the last few days :runaway: so forgive the late reply.

I used the term "stoner culture" because that was the part of Bug's point that I was addressing. We're specifically talking about MJ in this thread so I shouldn't need to address every vice that has some kind of culture. I suppose there's a midget stripper culture too. :): I don't think it's necessary to be all inclusive when I'm addressing a specific point that was made.

I didn't differentiate between alcohol and other intoxicating drugs. Again, MJ is the subject. I included a common but legal vice with mj use to make the point.

And Idunno. I guess maybe some people's sensibilities may have been tweaked a little because I called it "stoner culture" perhaps derogatively, and I said I don't like taking substances that alter my state of mind. That's not the same thing as saying "mind altering". I don't know if there is strong evidence to say that either mj or alcohol actually changes a person's brain physically. Some drugs do.

But the point is, when you're under the influence of alcohol or jm (or other recreational drugs) there is no doubt that your thinking, mood, outlook, etcetera--your state of mind--is absolutely altered compared to being sober. If there weren't such effects no one would do it. I'm saying personally I don't like doing that myself. The small amount of caffeine I get from my decalf coffee is the most "state-of-mind-altering" I care to get.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

“This is going to be the ticket that turns around Ohio, not with safe platitudes but with big ideas and smart, strategic plans,” Fedor said. “Like creating an energy dividend, legalizing marijuana and then using that money to help create 30,000 jobs that pay at least $60,000 a year. Let’s just think about what a game-changer that could be for Ohio families.”

Here you go, newRastas. As I warned, politicians see a chance to perhaps claw back some market share by supporting legalization. All you have to do is sell a little bit of your soul and vote Democratic. Sorry, $60k jobs will be far fewer than 30000 and go exclusively to friends, family and those connected to large donors

Career politician, term limited out of the running for Cincinnati mayor, wants bigger seat at the trough by being Governor
    Well he's a democrat so that automatically disqualifies him. And maybe for him legalization is just pandering votes. Legalization is not a strong enough issue for me that I'd vote Satan Democrat over a saner but anti-legalization candidate. And that's why we have to put up with chamber-o-commerce, stogy, morality legislating Republicans. There isn't a saner choice to vote for.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    3 of the 4 bills introduced have been by Republicans, one by Jim Lucas (HB1168- Medical Marijuana), and another co-sponsored by Lucas (HB1232- Partial Decriminalization). A third bill (HB1212- Medical and Adult Use Cannabis) was introduced by Republican Jake Teshka, who is a co-sponsor of HB1232 with Lucas. Looks like there is a movement brewing. Obviously HB1212 would move significantly faster than the others, but the language in HB1168 is not bad, it is closer to Michigan law than Ohio law, which is huge- Ohio legalization efforts have been terrible.
    Now those are some saner Republicans. The C-o-C Rubes be like :runaway: they're <gasp> legalizing....sin!!!

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    The tax revenue isnt the reason for legalization.
    One of the legs of the three-legged stool the proponents point too is the tax revenue the local and state governments will benefit from legalization of MM or MJ. While it isn't the reason, it's one of the reason's that's presented.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    One of the legs of the three-legged stool the proponents point too is the tax revenue the local and state governments will benefit from legalization of MM or MJ. While it isn't the reason, it's one of the reason's that's presented.
    Other than bribery, is there a better way to get politicians to be in favor of something? :dunno:

Top Bottom