• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Immaterial, the 2015 semi-legalization was passed by REFERENDUM, Kasich had little say in the matter

That's why it is somewhat humorous to read criticism of the Ohio legal structures - because it was the stoner vote that pushed it through

Not to mention that Kasich isn't what I would consider an actual conservative or Republican
    Voters passed the "Reeferendum" (see what I did there?), but the OHMMCP was set by the Board of Pharmacy. Exact rules were not included in the referendum, just like the bill Jim Lucas introduced basically punts all fine details to the Board of Health, which will likely create a committee for regulations and oversight.

Ohio has been very backwards on their MMJ legalization. Louisiana didn't even allow smokable cannabis, so it could have been worse, but either do it or don't. That is along the same vein as not allowing semi-autos but you can have bolt action or revolvers. Some states have also proposed potency caps (e.i. magazine capacity limitations). Maybe if I make it more relatable for some, the hypocrisy will be more clear.

And party affiliation doesn't matter, Indiana will have an R governor when legislation gets passed, or when federal rescheduling happens. Biden promised to legalize it federally in the first 100 days (spoiler: lie). Maybe if more R's embraced it, then D's wouldnt be able to buy/steal those votes?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Why would you be stunned? Either you've experienced cannabis and based on how it affected you, it is surprising that older people are using it and younger people can still function to high levels while using it.

-or-

You've been lied to about cannabis and the resulting preconceived notions are what has left you surprised by these revelations.

My Son (whom I'm very proud of) earned himself an electronic and computer engineering degree from Purdue University. On his graduation day, after he walked the stage and the ceremony was over he informed his mother and myself that he had smoked cannabis every single day of the four years he was in attendance. That was my matrix moment and when I began researching what the realities of cannabis use actually were. I had absolutely been mislead all of my life.

Some people will have problems with it, just as with alcohol though I don't think the extreme addicts to cannabis are doing near as much damage to themselves as severe alcoholics (really dirty and worn silver lining but a silver lining nonetheless). But the vast majority are capable of using socially like people do now with alcohol, some will enjoy great medicinal benefit and others will find that they can perform better (typically artistic types).

It isn't an end all - be all cure like some believe but it is most certainly capable of bringing positives to a lot of people for a variety of reasons.
    I knew quite a few people who smoked a lot in college in the early 80's, most of them were lethargic and lazy, They went to class and did well but after class it was bongs until they went to bed, it was their social life.
    Last summer i spent a weekend with a dozen people who were close friends in high school 40 some years ago. I hadn't seen some of them in 10 years and none of them were into pot 10 years ago, all of them were doing edibles. or 1 hitters.
    Many of the people in their 20's and 30's that I see are doing it throughout the day and are holding down jobs and going through life,
    As someone who was not a stoner I am surprised by all of this, I suppose it has been going on for a while but aside from my college experiences I was unaware of it. I keep hearing how strong it is now compared to 40 years ago and I am a bit perplexed. Not judging anything but a bit more than a bit confused.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I knew quite a few people who smoked a lot in college in the early 80's, most of them were lethargic and lazy, They went to class and did well but after class it was bongs until they went to bed, it was their social life.
    Last summer i spent a weekend with a dozen people who were close friends in high school 40 some years ago. I hadn't seen some of them in 10 years and none of them were into pot 10 years ago, all of them were doing edibles. or 1 hitters.
    Many of the people in their 20's and 30's that I see are doing it throughout the day and are holding down jobs and going through life,
    As someone who was not a stoner I am surprised by all of this, I suppose it has been going on for a while but aside from my college experiences I was unaware of it. I keep hearing how strong it is now compared to 40 years ago and I am a bit perplexed. Not judging anything but a bit more than a bit confused.
    I smoked my fair share in high school and prior to my son's graduation I was extremely skeptical of the medical side of cannabis. His revelation sparked an interest and I tried my best to erase all of the preconceived notions I had and started looking at cannabis from the perspective of someone completely inexperienced and ignorant. The stuff really is unbelievably interesting.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ohio has been very backwards on their MMJ legalization
    I would say, rather, that the government at the time did not want it at all, had it forced upon them, and did not lift a finger to support the transition (with widespread approval among their voter base)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My question would be, how much better could they have done in school or at life if they weren't stoned all the time

Personally, I fail to understand the need/desire to be lifted all the time just as I can't understand the need/desire to be drunk all the time. No matter how high functioning they are, I have to believe their true peak capabilities are muted and it mostly just makes them happy to be a wage slave

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My question would be, how much better could they have done in school or at life if they weren't stoned all the time

Personally, I fail to understand the need/desire to be lifted all the time just as I can't understand the need/desire to be drunk all the time. No matter how high functioning they are, I have to believe their true peak capabilities are muted and it mostly just makes them happy to be a wage slave
    A lot of unsubstantiated assumptions. It doesn't affect everyone the same way, it doesn't make everyone lazy and worthless. It doesn't reduce everyone's abilities, for many it is quite the contrary. It's not the boogeyman.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A lot of unsubstantiated assumptions. It doesn't affect everyone the same way, it doesn't make everyone lazy and worthless. It doesn't reduce everyone's abilities, for many it is quite the contrary. It's not the boogeyman.
    I would posit that it makes nobody lazy and worthless. The person is all of that on their own. Those people just happen to be attracted to the drug.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have one tenant that had a great opportunity for a new job, but they made him take a whiz quiz. He knew he couldn't pass so he tried to stay away from MJ for three months and still couldn't pass. I think he was having cheat days like dieters do.

He has jumped from job to job, always looking for one that doesn't test. He has decided to stay where he is now because they pay the best of the companies that don't test for it.

His call.

I don't care if he does it. What I do care about is that the kid has a problem. He smokes a lot and it is causing some additional problems. He does have memory loss and he makes really poor money decisions, whether from the smoke or not. Called me a couple days ago to say that he would be late with rent. His reasoning was that his girlfriend's truck was broke down so he couldn't get to work for an entire week. He is worried about the electric getting shut off again as well. But when asked he admitted almost cheerfully that he still got his smoke on, so it was all good.

They are the next on my chopping block. I honestly believe that if he wasn't smoking pot he would have another thing that took priority in his whacked out life.

I have a few tenants that I know partake. I don't care either way. Pay your bills, don't be a burden and live life.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would posit that it makes nobody lazy and worthless. The person is all of that on their own. Those people just happen to be attracted to the drug.
    We could say it makes some content to do nothing

Then everyone else gets to support them, judging by current standards

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

My HS friends mentioned all have or had professional careers and would be considered to have lived very successful lives by most. At the top of the heap a retired brain surgeon, and a retired state cop who was once the personal bodyguard for one of the states highest officials.
    I lost track of most of the college peeps but they all graduated and went on to professional careers.
    There is much I don't understand about this or many other things in the world but I am pretty content to take care of my own business.
    I am sure that there have been hundreds of millions spent researching the negative effects of pot can you post up some links that show in everyday English what they are and how it compares to alcohol. Are you for another prohibition on booze?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Assuming you knew what you now know about the retired brain surgeon, would you select him to operate on you or someone you loved?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Assuming you knew what you now know about the retired brain surgeon, would you select him to operate on you or someone you loved?
    Your assuming that he did that while he was in practice, I don't believe that he was. Do you have a way of knowing if said brain surgeon was a recreational or problem drinker, pot user, or was on other medications that could effect his or her abilities?
    You seem to see every issue through a very narrow perspective.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Your assuming that he did that while he was in practice, I don't believe that he was. Do you have a way of knowing if said brain surgeon was a recreational or problem drinker, pot user, or was on other medications that could effect his or her abilities?
    You seem to see every issue through a very narrow perspective.
    Since you were seemingly using said brain surgeon as an example of individuals for whom weed use did not dampen their capabilities or accomplishments, it was a reasonable assumption to make that he used during his career

What you're saying now appears to be if Oppenheimer or Bohr or Shockley etc took up smoking or edibles in retirement then they would also be examples of how weed didn't interfere with their success

And you didn't answer the question and attempted obfuscation with the bit about people might be drinking or on meds during the career

The question is, if you knew a brain surgeon was a current regular pot user, would you choose him to operate on you or your family

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The question is, if you knew a brain surgeon was a current regular pot user, would you choose him to operate on you or your family
    If I had a choice, I would choose the surgeon with the most experience and/or the best track record. If they smoked pot, drank, or whatever on their free time so be it. Although I will admit I'd be more cautious about drinking, a shakey hand from a hangover with a scalpel is not what I would consider ideal. What's that saying for pilots? 24 hrs from bottle to throttle? Although that's the old version, current I believe is 8 hrs. And they are allowed to fly the plane with a .04 bac.

Here's a bit more recent one.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Since you were seemingly using said brain surgeon as an example of individuals for whom weed use did not dampen their capabilities or accomplishments, it was a reasonable assumption to make that he used during his career

What you're saying now appears to be if Oppenheimer or Bohr or Shockley etc took up smoking or edibles in retirement then they would also be examples of how weed didn't interfere with their success

And you didn't answer the question and attempted obfuscation with the bit about people might be drinking or on meds during the career

No in an earlier post of yours you insinuated that pot users could have achieved more and lead better lives if they had not used. I gave examples of people I know who I was surprised that they were pot users and lead successful happy lives. You are trying to twist my words or unwilling or unable to understand them. I would not want someone under the influence of something in control of my safety be it a surgeon or anyone else and I doubt that anyone else wood either.

I came into this thread late with hopes of learning something but it seems its just about you wanting to bicker and repeat the same talking points over and over.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If I had a choice, I would choose the surgeon with the most experience and/or the best track record. If they smoked pot, drank, or whatever on their free time so be it. Although I will admit I'd be more cautious about drinking, a shakey hand from a hangover with a scalpel is not what I would consider ideal. What's that saying for pilots? 24 hrs from bottle to throttle? Although that's the old version, current I believe is 8 hrs. And they are allowed to fly the plane with a .04 bac.

Here's a bit more recent one.
    The better one for pilots is:

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You seem to make the assumption that pot users use it while in the performance of their daily employment duties. You know that many professionals, including surgeons, pilots, etc. use alcohol regularly. Do you make the same assumption that they're drinking on the job too?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No in an earlier post of yours you insinuated that pot users could have achieved more and lead better lives if they had not used. I gave examples of people I know who I was surprised that they were pot users and lead successful happy lives.
    IMO you are STILL mistaking the case. The way you formulate what I quoted makes it seem as if those people used and still were high achievers, but you then reveal that they may have only started using in later life/retirement

One is not evidence for the other. If I am misunderstanding you, please indicate how. IMO you are arguing against my assertion that any successful user would likely have been capable of more without the constant use, but your evidence is that you know people who are successful but have only begun using recently. Non sequitur

Top Bottom