• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Marlin 30-30 got the job done today. 60yards out at 503pm this evening.
    fcd1d5572026e2191c0ca7c20565290a.jpg

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    sat this evening and saw nothing. ill be back out in the morning. just dug into some reverse seared back straps from my brother in laws doe he took opening morning. sauteed onions, mashed potatoes, and gravy. good luck out there. fill those freezers

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'll be leaving Friday morning and heading to south-central Virginia for a 4 day hunt on our family land. Anytime in the woods is great but to be there with my dad, brother, and uncle makes it even better.

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Blessed to have this guy walk out at 11:30 on opening morning. 1.jpg
    He ran 40 yards without a blood trail, but fortunately never out of sight.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’m about to throw in the towel for this year. The new farm got smoked by EHD and there is nothing there. Drive up to Tippecanoe Co this morning and got into the stand at 9. Haven’t seen anything but one squirrel and some wood ducks. Probably has everything to do with the 300 acres of standing corn on both sides of the creek where our stand is. I drove 90 minutes to get here and did not pass a single field with standing corn. Is there some benefit to waiting until April to harvest this crap? I’m over it

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I’m about to throw in the towel for this year. The new farm got smoked by EHD and there is nothing there. Drive up to Tippecanoe Co this morning and got into the stand at 9. Haven’t seen anything but one squirrel and some wood ducks. Probably has everything to do with the 300 acres of standing corn on both sides of the creek where our stand is. I drove 90 minutes to get here and did not pass a single field with standing corn. Is there some benefit to waiting until April to harvest this crap? I’m over it

If you're not having fun, do something else. Or adjust the goals until you are having fun.

Life is to short to be tense over what you do for relaxation, right?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

The corn dries in the field instead of paying to dry it. There are downfalls to this method also

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hear ya Phylo.
    You work hard at this, all the details, its not a casual thing.
    Driven. Serious.
    Can be fun.

But when it gets screwed up it just flat out sucks.

Seems like those who take a more carefree approach to things have more fun, or it seems like it. Maybe that kind of thing makes for no really low times, but then it might also limit the highs.

Not the same, but of some overlap.....the idiots of this world smile and plow through.

Ignorance may be bliss.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    IMG_2152.jpg
    54 cal. custom Hawken built in the 80's, first kill for me with it. Had it a year.
    Ball passed through, destroyed top of heart, dead in 50 yards.

Nice healthy deer. I see sausage for breakfast in awhile.

Don

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    ..the idiots of this world smile and plow through.

Kind of a broad brush and an unflattering choice of words Hook.

Some of us who aren't "idiots" smile and plow through too. Because it is the best choice.

You're only gonna get so many days. May as well enjoy the ones you get.

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    got in the stand about 545 this morning. had one walk under me around 630. believe it to be this little 6 ive been seeing but it was pretty dark. didnt see anything else all morning. climbed down around 10 and went and talked to the neighbor lady. she has an 80 acre bean field and gave me permission to come hunt geese in it this year. it fills up with birds when they push through the area infront of a cold front. she has never let anyone hunt it but said if i bring her some birds i could have sole access. score. headed back to the stand and sat until dark without seeing anything else. trail cameras show a good amount of buck activity but all in the early morning or late night. stay safe and good luck out there

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Saw the first shooter chasing a doe this morning. He is one I shot in bow season. Hit him in the shoulder, got pics of him last week too, can't see where or tell he was ever hit. Got a mission to kill him.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

We had that same situation several years ago on a property we hunted in Ohio county during gun season.....it sucked...they were living in the corn fields during the day and right at dark you could see them start filing out into the woods.

Do you have any contact with the neighbor with the corn? If so you might talk to them and see if they are going to harvest this year and when.

Harvesting day could be a good day for all parties involved if it is still during season.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had that same situation several years ago on a property we hunted in Ohio county during gun season.....it sucked...they were living in the corn fields during the day and right at dark you could see them start filing out into the woods.

Do you have any contact with the neighbor with the corn? If so you might talk to them and see if they are going to harvest this year and when.

Harvesting day could be a good day for all parties involved if it is still during season.

The corn is actually on the same property we hunt, the farm ground is leased by the farmers. We had a good working relationship with the farmers until we revoked the hunting privileges of their pastor. They asked that we allowed him to continue to hunt which we did but we laid down a couple of simple ground rules which he refused to follow. We've been given the responsibility of managing the hunting on a couple pieces of property owned by the same person and part of that responsibility is maintaining good relationships with the neighbors. The pastor's refusal to follow the rules was creating an ongoing problem with one of the neighbors so we stopped allowing him to hunt. The farmers have been pretty cold toward us since. I get it but it's unfortunate all the way around, the rules weren't difficult to follow and the farmers are great people.

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    was just looking at the harvest numbers so far this year on the dnr site. looks like almost every county i checked is up higher than previous years already. just wondering what you guys are thinking thats due to. more hunters? better deer numbers, so more folks not getting skunked? maybe both? ive seen a ton hit on the roads already but i always feel that way this time of year. like everyone i see is one i wont get a shot at. i stop and check alot of them to see how fresh but no luck yet this year on any road harvests.

Top Bottom