• ...and so much more!
  • hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    it just hit me that maybe the nicer weather is keeping people in the woods that would have went back to the couch already. just curious if anyone has any thoughts on it or knows how to check to see if tag sales were up higher this year

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Neighbor just killed my buck. I have spend over 1200 hours in stand the last 3 years only hunting 1 deer. I was in the same boat a Phylo kind of getting discussed, but I couldnt bring myself to wrap my tag around something else.

I know its weird, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. I can go back to a more care free type of hunting, and cant wait. The buck is 7.5 years old, and scored 204. I have his sheds on my wall from last year, and they scored 193. I let a buck that scored 168 walk last year because it wasn't him. That is insane. I will try and post some pictures.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well sports fans, up in Michigan for deer season as usual, we have braved a week of bad weather but I wouldn’t be anywhere else, our Dad the “Great Hunter” passed away last month and would be laughing his you know what off seeing his two sons who have done this, and been with him and our Grandfather, friends, and Uncles, Two Clowns impersonation
    It was getting dark and I had just pulled up with Burgers, when he calls he had gotten a big Doe, come out and help him.
    Sure when I finish my warm Qtr Pounder and fries.
    Its dark I am dragging a Doe and now I am lost.
    Ill be right out....can you see my headlights on this trail I shouldn’t be driving on we have walked over 50 years?
    No!?!
    Ok I see you, just wait big brother to the rescue.
    Back to the cabin, get the Razor 4 wheeler out, back for the Doe.
    Back to the cabin for gutting by flashlights and lamps.
    Good night.
    Up in the morning, gotta find a processor...should have thought of that?!?
    Anyway headed in to get her processed.
    Better planning next year, you think?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lots of fresh sign in the woods, but didn't see any deer yesterday. Heard some shots taken, and saw a doe and yearling at the backup property but they were 300 yards away.
    123953445_10224267362570522_3046524053395579605_n.jpg

124791534_10224267286968632_2196185028384317050_n.jpg

There was over an hour wait to drop my Saturday doe off at the processors. Lots of folks in line, and when I got up to the unloading shed there must have been 50 deer in there. Might be a while before they get around to my deer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's a buck of a lifetime 42769vette, I wish you'd had a chance to take him but I feel your pain. We watched a buck last year that was easily 190" and never got a shot on him. We figured someone probably got him but he showed back up a couple of months ago, we got two crappy pics of him. The area he was in was a voluntarily archery only area before this year. I'm guessing word got out about him and all of a sudden we had people driving around the field edges on the neighboring property during archery season looking for spots to hang rifle stands. We hunted it yesterday and while we didn't see anything the folks west of us have obviously abandoned the archery only idea in favor of putting as much venison on the ground as possible. Sucks but as long as they're hunting lawfully I won't get upset by it.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Last night I slid out to my reduction zone spot for a quick hunt. I had just over an hour to hunt, in 20 minutes, I had 2 does roll through, 2 buttons, a small 8, and then a big 8 stepped out. I was hunting a specific deer and at first thought this one was that deer, but as I sized him up I decided to let the Thumper eat. 27 yard shot, took out both shoulders. He snow plowed 20 yards and it was over. Turned out he had a broken brow, but that didn't matter. I am extremely happy with him. Two bucks down in Indiana and a fat doe early in the reduction season. Time to focus on my girls' and their deer hunting as they come home from college on holiday breaks.

TKz00kL.jpg

MfDIUsk.jpg

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    you guys are killing some beautiful deer. congrats everyone. sat for a few hours this morning before i had to climb down and go get stuff done before work. saw nothing. neighbor lady down the road texted after i climbed down that she had 10 in her backyard/field by her house. sent a picture and it was a great looking ten and a couple of smaller but respectable bucks and some does. tomorrow is a new day. good luck everyone. stay safe

Top Bottom