• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    When I'm at home my handgun is usually near by. I pretty much live at my computer so it is usually stashed away in the hutch on my computer desk which was the case tonight. My son and his 2 children were over for dinner and afterwards we went into the computer room to watch TV. Everything was fine until........

My son spotted the holstered LCP on the hutch and went berserk. He grabbed the gun and ran off to the back room where he laid the gun on the TV in that room. The whole time screaming "this is very bad" over and over then out the front door he went. Soon afterward his wife showed up, also very angry, grabbed up the kids and out the front door they ran the whole time telling the kids how bad guns and grandpa are.

I have to admit it happened so fast I was speechless. They have always known there are guns in the house and usually on me most of the time. Of course my wife (who also hates guns) isn't helping any saying he has a right to fear for his children's lives.

Had they given me time to talk, I could have told and proven to them that the gun wasn't even loaded!:(

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I want to be on your side on this, I really do...

But isn't Rule # 1 "Treat all guns as if they're always loaded?" How many stories have we read on this site alone that involve firearms that "shouldn't have been loaded?"

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If there are kids around, it will be holstered on my side or otherwise secured way from them.

Yes, even the unloaded ones.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I agree.

With the exception of this one time it is always locked in the safe with all my others. I had just finished cleaning the gun minutes before they arrived and it never was more than arms reach from me the whole time which is why I knew it wasn't loaded and why I hadn't locked it up yet. Actually, the magazine was in the safe.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I would say,
    k269329_son-i-am-disappoint.gif

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I can see why he got a little upset, but in all honesty im on your side here, your son should have stuck around for an explaination at least. All you can do though is move on and learn from this, as soon as your done cleaning the guns put them straight in your safe or in a holster on ur hip. Good luck with everything, I really hope all works out for you and your son overlooks this whole thing.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Did they leave a trail of urine behind? Sorry, I think this is sad and funny at the same time.

What are they teaching your grandchildren? If he REALLY thought his children's lives were in danger, that is really screwy thinking.

I don't have an answer for totally irrational thinking.....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    CM, this is a very sad story. Your son was in your home and could have helped the situation by quietly telling you to move the gun instead of making a scene. Take him out for dinner and let him get things off of his chest. If he is satisfied, he can then help you smooth things over with the wives. However, to say that grandpa is bad... well, that cuts deep, but I do pray all works out with your family.

OldHoosier62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I'm sorry but your son and his wife are hoplophobic idiots. Their actions do more to foster un-educated curiosity in your grandchildren than anything else,guaranteeing boundary issues later on where guns are involved (forbidden fruit type issues). This was a teachable moment for you,them and the g-kids but you all missed it. Sounds to me that if they were telling your g-kids that guns AND grandpa are bad then there are more issues than just guns involved.

YMMV

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I agree.

With the exception of this one time it is always locked in the safe with all my others. I had just finished cleaning the gun minutes before they arrived and it never was more than arms reach from me the whole time which is why I knew it wasn't loaded and why I hadn't locked it up yet. Actually, the magazine was in the safe.

All it takes is "one time." I personally don't want kids even seeing guns. Kids today are not the kids of eras past. They freak out, even the 20-30 year old "kids" compared to those from eras where guns were normal and you dared not touch a gun for fear of punishment.

While I'm "pro-gun," I likely would make a somewhat of a scene, though not as dramatic as your son. I don't care what folks say about their "kids behaving," today's kids are just different.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    All it takes is "one time." I personally don't want kids even seeing guns. Kids today are not the kids of eras past. They freak out, even the 20-30 year old "kids" compared to those from eras where guns were normal and you dared not touch a gun for fear of punishment.

While I'm "pro-gun," I likely would make a somewhat of a scene, though not as dramatic as your son. I don't care what folks say about their "kids behaving," today's kids are just different.

I dont see that being the answer. My daughter (will be 3 in July) sees mine on me all the time. I do not let her touch it, plain and simple. She has put a finger on it a couple times (its in a holster btw), I redirect her, and thats it. She doesnt think twice about it (or appear to) now, she just leaves it alone, and really doesnt even look at it. Hiding kids from fire-arms will do them no justice in my opinion. Same as anything, education/training is the key.

To the OP, that situation sucks man, for sure. I would give things a few days, let the water settle, then make contact and try to clear things up. It will be easier once all moods are brought back to their norm. Good luck, and wish ya the best on this!

-MColford

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I'm sorry but your son and his wife are hoplophobic idiots. Their actions do more to foster un-educated curiosity in your grandchildren than anything else,guaranteeing boundary issues later on where guns are involved (forbidden fruit type issues). This was a teachable moment for you,them and the g-kids but you all missed it. Sounds to me that if they were telling your g-kids that guns AND grandpa are bad then there are more issues than just guns involved.

YMMV

This became a great post after the first sentence. I will never call another man's wife or other family member an idiot.

To the OP, my family was also "anti-gun" while I was growing up. My mother only accepts that I'm a gun owner now due to my "extensive" training as a LEO. Good luck smoothing things over. I pray that this incident won't affect the relationship you have with your grandchildren.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Not a problem in my family since we all grew up shooting. Now I have my family shooting. Before we go to the range I make them recite MY rules about handling guns. Sorry for your sons behavior!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    So, your son comes into your house, picks up your gun, and starts waving it around while running around the house and yelling. Grandpa isn't the one that's bad here. He potentially put you, his kids, and himself in mortal danger because of his irrational fears.* What other things does he do to endanger his family? Your son needs serious psychological help IMO. Based on this story, I wonder if your grand kids are safe living with him. If the sight of an inanimate object causes him to react like this, what else might set him off. You and your family are in my prayers.

*I know in this case that the OP knew that the gun was unloaded and the ammo locked up, but the son did not.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Your gun, your house? He shouldn't even be touching your gun. Uneducated about firearms and "in fear" make too many people do irrational things. I agree that the son put more people at harm than OP did. I would rather have seen the gun secured in a holster also, but to actually grab another mans gun (not knowing whether it is loaded or not is irrelevant), wave it around, put in a different room, snatch up the kids and tell them that Grandpa and guns r bad. Complete nonsense. I'm sorry that your wife isn't on your side on this subject. She obviously knows how you handle your guns and while the son is allowed to have his fears, he should not be acting out like this and your wife is unfortunately caught in the middle and doesn't know how to feel. I worry about the mental health of your son and his wife, as adults they should be more responsible about what they are teaching their children. Personally I would never tell my child that grandparents are bad and she will learn a little about guns also. Knowledge is paramount in understanding how dangerous they can be in the wrong persons hands.

Rant over

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    So, your son comes into your house, picks up your gun, and starts waving it around while running around the house and yelling. Grandpa isn't the one that's bad here. He potentially put you, his kids, and himself in mortal danger because of his irrational fears.* What other things does he do to endanger his family? Your son needs serious psychological help IMO. Based on this story, I wonder if your grand kids are safe living with him. If the sight of an inanimate object causes him to react like this, what else might set him off. You and your family are in my prayers.

*I know in this case that the OP knew that the gun was unloaded and the ammo locked up, but the son did not.

+1 to this Mr.Habib.

My first thought also. How is it that people who are basically anti-gun, think that to jump up, scream, run around in circles with the "Chicken Little" effect, that the sky is falling in, think that this is the proper way for adults to conduct themselves??:rockwoot:

As said, my prayers are also with these people-I think only a Higher Power can help them..:dunno:

Top Bottom