• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Why would I hide a perfectly legal right I have, that is ingrained in our country and Constitution from them like it's bad?

I don't know, why would you? By all means, if you think your kids are of the logic to be around guns, leave them laying around, loaded, like the OP does.

Sorry again, but you are not much of an improvement over the OP's son and daughter-in-law. Kids today will act properly if they are educated and held to a higher standard. The passivity of todays parents cause the kids issues, NOT the kids themselves.

Remember folks, we are our kids PARENTS-not their friends. Children inherently want guidance and boundaries, current parenting norms do not allow that...and unfortunately society is paying the price for it.

I wouldn't raise my kids the way most do today, because as you say, current norms don't seem very good. However, I also want my kids to have somewhat of a social life. To me, the "norm" means the majority, which in my mind is closer to 75% of a group than just 50%+1. What I'm trying to say is that out of four possible friends, I could see me not like the way three of them were raised. They could be honor roll students, but love to be mischievous. It isn't necessarily your kids, or my kids, but the other kids. Obviously the goal would be for my kids to hang around with your kids, or .40caltrucker's kids, but that isn't always going to be the case.

I follow the logic of Judge Judy: As soon as a pre-teen or teenager wakes up, the lie begins to form. We baby our mid range teens and treat them like children, when really they are closer biologically adults than children. Some of this has to do with genetics (early puberty) and the fact that even though the beings have changed, we still want to coddle them by using the current K-12 education system. To make matters worse, we now have higher ed costing so much money, and so many jobs wanting college degrees, that we have essentially enslaved our 18-22 year olds to rely on their parents/government for an additional four to five years of life after high school.

It isn't so much I want my kids to dislike firearms, but I really do want them to be more mature and to understand life. Today's kids usually don't get a taste of life until they have graduated college and are living on their own. Even then, most have already bought into the "live for the day" attitude, that I just don't see a level of maturity at age 25 of the current generation than of those from decades past.

This is why even with my friends and family who are in their 30s and ask about guns, I don't dig into the debate with "EVERYONE NEEDS A GUN!!" type comments. I just tell them that having a gun is a serious engagement, and that I would be more than willing to help them learn how to shoot, discuss security, etc..

I guess I could clarify my remarks. I don't want kids just seeing guns laying around. This is what the OP is all about, not really someone carrying a gun. Obviously, as one who carries 99% of the time, kids will see my gun. What I want them to see is me removing the gun and putting it in the safe or taking it out the safe and placing it on my hip. They will never touch it, look at it for long periods of time, etc., until they are much older and of a logic I think one should have.

I can't blame the OP's son for acting the way he did.

Police: Deputy's 4-Year-Old Son Shot, Killed Handling Gun - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Coroner: 2-year-old girl shot herself

There are numerous stories like this one. They all have the same underlying theme: Gun is left laying around, loaded, and somehow/someway, a younger child gets hold of the gun and manages to fire off a round. Either the child shoots themselves, or someone else gets shot.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    All it takes is "one time." I personally don't want kids even seeing guns. Kids today are not the kids of eras past. They freak out, even the 20-30 year old "kids" compared to those from eras where guns were normal and you dared not touch a gun for fear of punishment.

While I'm "pro-gun," I likely would make a somewhat of a scene, though not as dramatic as your son. I don't care what folks say about their "kids behaving," today's kids are just different.

I'm really getting sick of people saying this type of crap, "even the 20-30 year old "kids." " You are talking about adults not children. When will you people get it that it has nothing to do with the age of a person, it all has to do with how mature and responsible they are. When I was 16 I had a bolt action that I kept in my bedroom and at 17 I got my first handgun. Then 18 got my LTCH and my first NFA Short Barrel Rifle.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I just don't see a level of maturity at age 25 of the current generation than of those from decades past.
    You do understand that the reason you are not seeing the level of maturity that you would like to see is because generation's of the past did not raise there children the same way as they where raised.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I think that this whole thing has gotten a bit out of hand.
    First, the gun was laying around - and it shouldn't have been. If I was the OP, I would take my son aside and apologize for the fact. Period. It shouldn't have been there.
    Second - for the son to run from the room is NOT the way to handle it. That was totally out of line and inappropriate. I suspect that that was a reaction to the son's WIFE's opinion as much as anything, but that's just a suspicion. We're I the OP, I would ask my son to handle that sort of thing differently in the future. And suggest ways - like discretely calling me over and pointing the situation out. That gives the son a chance to apologize without shoving it down his throat.
    Third - family is arguably the most important thing that we've got. I would agree with ElsiePeaRN that one needs to work like heck to heal whatever friction may exist. Swallowing a little pride, and apologizing a little - while painful - is nothing compared to torching a relationship with a son. There were dumb things done on both sides - things that no doubt people would do differently if given the chance again. Is there any harm in saying as much - "hey I wish I could go back and have that gun put up"?

My prayers are with the OP and his family - these sort of things are always challenging.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I think that this whole thing has gotten a bit out of hand.
    First, the gun was laying around - and it shouldn't have been. If I was the OP, I would take my son aside and apologize for the fact. Period. It shouldn't have been there.
    Second - for the son to run from the room is NOT the way to handle it. That was totally out of line and inappropriate. I suspect that that was a reaction to the son's WIFE's opinion as much as anything, but that's just a suspicion. We're I the OP, I would ask my son to handle that sort of thing differently in the future. And suggest ways - like discretely calling me over and pointing the situation out. That gives the son a chance to apologize without shoving it down his throat.
    Third - family is arguably the most important thing that we've got. I would agree with ElsiePeaRN that one needs to work like heck to heal whatever friction may exist. Swallowing a little pride, and apologizing a little - while painful - is nothing compared to torching a relationship with a son. There were dumb things done on both sides - things that no doubt people would do differently if given the chance again. Is there any harm in saying as much - "hey I wish I could go back and have that gun put up"?

My prayers are with the OP and his family - these sort of things are always challenging.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Do This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I only read the first post. First thing's first. This is your son? And he has a wife and kids? How old is he, how old is she, and how old are the kids? How long have you been a gun owner? How long have you been pro gun? Your wife is anti-gun? I am reading this as you and your wife have been married a long time (long enough to be grandparents together), and you allowed your wife to become or remain anti-gun, raise your son up to be anti-gun, who in turn is raising his children up to be anti-gun. WTF DUDE!?!?!?

I am not somebody to tell another man his business, but if the above is true, then it sounds like you screwed up big time, and its way to late to fix either of them (wife, or son). I am not going to say "Divorce the wife, disown the son, and go find a new family at the gun club." but I will say that you need to spend a lot more time with the grandchildren to stop this ridiculous cycle of fear mongering and liberal behavior. Don't tell wifey and your thumb sucking son about it, but go out and buy an age appropriate firearm (not BB gun) for the kids (like a cricket or something, depending on their age), and some fishing poles. Take them out, tell the aforementioned family members you are taking the kids fishing, and then, teach them to shoot.

This $#!+ has got to stop.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I only read the first post. First thing's first. This is your son? And he has a wife and kids? How old is he, how old is she, and how old are the kids? How long have you been a gun owner? How long have you been pro gun? Your wife is anti-gun? I am reading this as you and your wife have been married a long time (long enough to be grandparents together), and you allowed your wife to become or remain anti-gun, raise your son up to be anti-gun, who in turn is raising his children up to be anti-gun. WTF DUDE!?!?!?

I am not somebody to tell another man his business, but if the above is true, then it sounds like you screwed up big time, and its way to late to fix either of them (wife, or son). I am not going to say "Divorce the wife, disown the son, and go find a new family at the gun club." but I will say that you need to spend a lot more time with the grandchildren to stop this ridiculous cycle of fear mongering and liberal behavior. Don't tell wifey and your thumb sucking son about it, but go out and buy an age appropriate firearm (not BB gun) for the kids (like a cricket or something, depending on their age), and some fishing poles. Take them out, tell the aforementioned family members you are taking the kids fishing, and then, teach them to shoot.

This $#!+ has got to stop.

At this point if he buys the grandkids a rifle, I think the family would disowned him:(

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    When I'm at home my handgun is usually near by. I pretty much live at my computer so it is usually stashed away in the hutch on my computer desk which was the case tonight. My son and his 2 children were over for dinner and afterwards we went into the computer room to watch TV. Everything was fine until........

My son spotted the holstered LCP on the hutch and went berserk. He grabbed the gun and ran off to the back room where he laid the gun on the TV in that room. The whole time screaming "this is very bad" over and over then out the front door he went. Soon afterward his wife showed up, also very angry, grabbed up the kids and out the front door they ran the whole time telling the kids how bad guns and grandpa are.

I have to admit it happened so fast I was speechless. They have always known there are guns in the house and usually on me most of the time. Of course my wife (who also hates guns) isn't helping any saying he has a right to fear for his children's lives.

Had they given me time to talk, I could have told and proven to them that the gun wasn't even loaded!:(
    WOW! Just can't believe that your son went crazy like that. There are a few things that get me here.
    First is that the Holstered LCP was laying empty or not on the hutch, not for me to judge you on. Second is your son should not have grabbed the gun and taken off running like he did making a big scene about it, then out the door without his kids.( what is that) Third is his wife coming in and the grandpa is bad comments going out the door. She can have her own opinion about guns, but grandpa is bad.( again what is that) You will definitely need to sit down with them and talk, GOOD LUCK!:yesway:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I can tell everyone with certainty that if my son did what the OP's son did, he would be getting the fire knocked out of him. Two reasons...one is for acting like a fool with the gun. Most importantly for the total and complete disrespect that he showed his own father!!!!:xmad: And to add insult to injury he did it in front of his own children. What kind of message is that sending?

Tragedies happen way to often with kids and guns. It boils down to education and a little common sense. My four kids have grown up around guns (as I did) Their natural curiosity was satisfied by schooling them on firearms and their dangers. Mine were all shooting at early ages. With all of that came a natural HEALTHY respect for guns.

And again this disrespect that was shown is totally unacceptable. Matter of fact it is down right bizarre!!

I wish the OP luck. You are gonna need it.:twocents:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I don't know, why would you? By all means, if you think your kids are of the logic to be around guns, leave them laying around, loaded, like the OP does.

I never said I leave loaded guns laying around and neither did OP. Get your facts straight. He had just finished cleaning the gun and the mag was in the safe. The OPs grown adult son acted completely inappropriately to the situation. There was no call for what he did in his fathers home and I would be disappointed if one of my children acted that way.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

There are numerous stories like this one. They all have the same underlying theme: Gun is left laying around, loaded, and somehow/someway, a younger child gets hold of the gun and manages to fire off a round

Indy317. Did you even bother to read the previous posts? Obviously not. Before you accuse me of doing things, read the post again and realize something. The gun WAS NOT loaded. The bullets and magazine were locked up in my safe. I do NOT leave loaded guns laying around my house, even when I'm alone! I don't even carry with a round in the chamber! Please understand the situation fully before you start pointing fingers at me!

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Everyone is saying a loaded gun needs to be locked up. I do not understand this. A guy kicks my door in, I tell him to wait while I go get my gun from my safe. I must be a horrible person. I have several guns unlocked and loaded when I am home. No dead people here. The only exception to this is when guest are over because I have know idea what they know about guns.

I have let my kids handle guns since they were 3 or 4. Taught them how to check if the gun was load, that it's not a toy(yes they are). The more they see them the less exciting they are to them, Kinda, cause guns are way cool.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Has your son always been anti-gun or did he go to the darkside as a result of the negative influence of your daughter-in-law?

No, my son grew up around guns but mostly rifles and shotguns which he used to love to shoot. He changed completely when he got married. His wife is a very manipulative and dominating woman much older than him.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell everyone with certainty that if my son did what the OP's son did, he would be getting the fire knocked out of him. Two reasons...one is for acting like a fool with the gun. Most importantly for the total and complete disrespect that he showed his own father!!!!:xmad: And to add insult to injury he did it in front of his own children. What kind of message is that sending?

The "son" behaved as if he were an hysterical daughter. I'd be embarrassed to witness such unbecoming behavior.

Tragedies happen way to often with kids and guns. It boils down to education and a little common sense. My four kids have grown up around guns (as I did) Their natural curiosity was satisfied by schooling them on firearms and their dangers. Mine were all shooting at early ages. With all of that came a natural HEALTHY respect for guns.

Parenting requires faith, discipline, and strength of character. These essential qualities are sadly lacking in contemporary society.

And again this disrespect that was shown is totally unacceptable. Matter of fact it is down right bizarre!!

Maybe the 'boy' (son) failed to take his morning dose of Ritlin... What he actually needs is a testosterone supplement to help curb his dramatic scenes.

I wish the OP luck. You are gonna need it.:twocents:

The OP is going to require more than luck to deal with the problems confronting him.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    How did your son get this, ahem, way? You're into firearms and SD, was he never trained or involved with such things? How can someone whose known guns are in the house and on you have such a reaction...is he on meds for something? Has it been a long time since you've been around each other? Why the suddon irrationality of your boy?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    First is that the Holstered LCP was laying empty or not on the hutch

Actually both. The LCP was not only empty, the mag wasn't even in it and the gun was laying up, inside one of the hutch compartments hidden behind some paperwork. For my son to find it, he had to be snooping (which is normal for him) through the hutch and physically move items that were hanging in front of it.

Top Bottom