• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    DST - I go to work an hour earlier and get OFF work an hour earlier. That gives me more afternoon daylight to enjoy outdoor activities. I like it.

I'm still struggling with so much negativity in this thread over moving the hands on the clock. My dad (dairy farmer) used to hate it too ... said it effected the Cows and threw off their milking schedule. I asked him to show me a watch on a cow or one that could read the clock on the wall.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    DST - I go to work an hour earlier and get OFF work an hour earlier. That gives me more afternoon daylight to enjoy outdoor activities. I like it.

I'm still struggling with so much negativity in this thread over moving the hands on the clock. My dad (dairy farmer) used to hate it too ... said it effected the Cows and threw off their milking schedule. I asked him to show me a watch on a cow or one that could read the clock on the wall.
    Humans are one of the few creatures that need to be able to read a clock to reliably tell the time. I can tell you the cows definitely know their schedule, and they definitely don't like it when the milking time gets bumped by an hour every spring and fall. And it's not just some intangible thing like "Oh, I can tell those cows are definitely upset;" it's very quantifiable, based on increased time persuading them into the milk house, and a very measurable drop in milk output for the first little while as they adjust.

As for all the negativity, I can't really explain it, since I don't feel that strongly either way about DST per se (and of course I have to clarify here between hating DST, and just hating the time change. Sure, an extra hour of daylight in the evening is great, but I can't seem to find anyone who can explain to me why we can't just have it in the winter as well...) but I think a lot of the frustration is that we feel like we're all stuck in some ritual that 99% of us dislike, so we can't understand why we're still doing it. It's not an exaggeration to say that outside of this forum in my entire life I haven't met a single individual who has told me they like the time change. In a way I'm kind of glad to know that there actually is someone out there who appreciates it, so I guess we're not all just doing this for absolutely no reason at all at least. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Seems a lot of uncorroborated beliefs at the link. We all know the peer review system is broken and studies are often bought and paid for by interests…
    One should certainly be skeptical these days of the pronouncements of medical professionals, but if you take them the statistics quoted date to studies far enough pre-covid that perhaps medical professionals still had some integrity

I largely posted that because you said you didn't believe claims that heart attacks and accidents were exacerbated by clock changing. Sharp changes to circadian rhythm such as swing shifts have long been known to be deleterious. Pointless clock changing is no different

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You guys act like this is tough…. But I may just be smarter than a lot of people, I know how to set all my clocks…

View attachment 188041
    It of course has nothing to do with the skill set needed to adjust the clocks

It has more to do with a pointless ritual for which any claimed benefit, either in electric usage or production efficiency, has been proven to be negligible and for which the annoyance factor is very high just so a very few people can, I guess, have more time to patrol their allotment and cite their neighbors for grass 1/4 inch too high or a non-allowed color of trim or decking or the heinous crime of flying the American flag

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    but I can't seem to find anyone who can explain to me why we can't just have it in the winter as well...)
    My understanding is it is a compromise so that during the shortest day months we have 8am sunrise and 5:30 sunset rather than 9am and 6:30pm…

But I am good with the later, I have no complaints about moving to DST permanently. My guess is nothing they do will be universally accepted…

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    My understanding is it is a compromise so that during the shortest day months we have 8am sunrise and 5:30 sunset rather than 9am and 6:30pm…

But I am good with the later, I have no complaints about moving to DST permanently. My guess is nothing they do will be universally accepted…
    I guess that does make some sense, still doesn't seem worth it to me...

But you're definitely right, there's sure to be some people who complain, no matter what they do.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    zRpxLTp.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    On a serious note I believe the bars are allowed to stay open until 4am on the spring forward change since the official time goes from 1:59am to 3:00am in a few seconds…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

"Moving the hands on the clock" is a Straw Man. The issue is that changing time arbitrarily serves no legitimate, useful purpose (it doesn't save "sunlight", it doesn't save energy), while leading to several, well-documented, adverse effects: lost productivity, worsened health (circadian rhythm, lost sleep, heart attacks, etc.), and even deaths (car crashes, heart attacks, etc.).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This was interesting. No wonder it feels like DST has such an impact added to this.

View attachment 188282
    Daylight gained? There is no daylight gained. Each day has precisely the same amount of daylight, regardless of how the clocks are set.

But following that line of (il)logic: I typically wake up around 6:00 or 6:30. I have already "lost" more minutes of daylight in my mornings (since sunrise was shifted an hour later, from (approximately) 7:00AM to 8:00AM, over the first three days of DST than this graphic claims that I "gain" through the entire month of March.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Daylight gained? There is no daylight gained. Each day has precisely the same amount of daylight, regardless of how the clocks are set.

But following that line of (il)logic: I typically wake up around 6:00 or 6:30. I have already "lost" more minutes of daylight in my mornings (since sunrise was shifted an hour later, from (approximately) 7:00AM to 8:00AM, over the first three days of DST than this graphic claims that I "gain" through the entire month of March.
    I think Mike's graphic was showing the amount of daylight gained due to the tilt of the earth after winter solstice irrespective of DST.

Top Bottom