• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Apparently none of you have ever had to deal with the whole "we didn't know Indiana did not change time like everybody else" screwing up shipments, appointments and playing the game, what time is it there now compared to Indiana all the time. I get it kids and dogs don't like change but it sucked worse when we did not change and the rest of the country did...

I have, and still do, because of people in other time zones across the USA. I still hate DST.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What precisely do you hate about it? How does DST affect your life negativity?
    This question has been asked and answered at least dozens of times in this thread. People have different priorities. That makes DST more or less burdensome, or more or less advantageous, depending on those priorities. For myself, hell, I’ve lived in several different timezones. DST is just shifting to a different time zone. You get used to the hours. So it’s not the hours itself that I don’t like. It’s the switching back and forth.

The only reason to do it, according to my priorities, is that everyone else does. There’s something worthwhile about everyone observing the same system of timekeeping. But I’d be happier with the system if the thing everyone did did not involve changing their clocks forward and back one hour.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Apparently none of you have ever had to deal with the whole "we didn't know Indiana did not change time like everybody else" screwing up shipments, appointments and playing the game, what time is it there now compared to Indiana all the time. I get it kids and dogs don't like change but it sucked worse when we did not change and the rest of the country did...

Pathetic excuse. I communicate with business coast to coast. It's not that difficult to figure out what time zone they are in. I grew up in Union City, split by the IN/OH state line. It really wasn't that hard to confirm that your appointment was on "Indiana time" or "Ohio time".

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    What precisely do you hate about it? How does DST affect your life negativity?

Going to bed in the summer when it's still light out, people are mowing, kids are playing, it's just starting to get enjoyable outside at that time. I miss summer evenings outdoors. My dogs don't understand. And, as someone mentioned, 4th of July fireworks have to start later.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Going to bed in the summer when it's still light out, people are mowing, kids are playing, it's just starting to get enjoyable outside at that time. I miss summer evenings outdoors. My dogs don't understand. And, as someone mentioned, 4th of July fireworks have to start later.

Yes when the sun is still shinning at 830 in the evening, it's hard to make yourself go to bed so you get a good night's rest.
    I tend to stay up later during the summer.

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I say do away with daylight saving time NATIONALLY, and be done with it!

I can agree with this. Short of that, I would say have the debate of either nationally staying on Standard Time only or Daylight Time only and no more messing with the clocks. Or if we are to have the time change revert back to the way it began, move the clocks ahead the first Saturday in May and back the last Saturday in October.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This. There is simply no good reason to alter everyone's schedule in today's day and age. We still do it "because everyone else does".
    It seems to be catching momentum. More states are discussing it every year. I think we will see an end to it in the not too distant future.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Most all of that is because you live on the trailing edge of a time zone, later sunrise and sunsets, easily solved by moving to the leading edge of a time zone where they have early sunrise and sunsets. Dogs and children do not know the difference it is up to adults to gradually adjust them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Pathetic excuse. I communicate with business coast to coast. It's not that difficult to figure out what time zone they are in. I grew up in Union City, split by the IN/OH state line. It really wasn't that hard to confirm that your appointment was on "Indiana time" or "Ohio time".

Not an excuse, real life, with real dollars costs. The time zone being an imaginary line on the ground is hard enough, compound that by having an area that has a different time relative to the other areas and it creates great confusion. It is great we stay the same time relative to other zones.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It seems to be catching momentum. More states are discussing it every year. I think we will see an end to it in the not too distant future.

They may be doing that, but most will not because they will not go alone, DST only gets changed at the federal level and it was just a few years ago the Feds extended DST, I've heard no serious rumbling about changing it nationally. It appears to me that for the largest population centers DST works very well.

Besides those butt-hurt they must change clocks, the majority of complaints in our region come from early risers. As I explained previously here, time zones have leading and trailing edges. June 22, the day after solstice, NY has sunset at 8:31PM, doubt many are complaining it is too late there like some do here, you think they really want a 7:31PM sunset on the longest days of the year? The LA sunset is earlier on the same day at 8:08PM, so unlikely to get support there either.

The prediction of change in DST is just wishful thinking. My best advice is to learn to enjoy it, we have fantastic evenings with light to do stuff. We have plenty of hibernation time in the winter...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Most all of that is because you live on the trailing edge of a time zone, later sunrise and sunsets, easily solved by moving to the leading edge of a time zone where they have early sunrise and sunsets. Dogs and children do not know the difference it is up to adults to gradually adjust them.

So I'm supposed to quit my job and sell my home because of DST? As soon as I do that, something would probably change. Doesn't sound so easy to me. There's been studies that show DST is detrimental to health, I'm sure there are some that say otherwise. I still miss when we did not observe DST, it's been more cons than pros for me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    About those studies...

On one hand, we have higher incidents of vehicle collisions, heart attacks, etc. on switchover days.

On the other hand, we have longer daylight in evenings promoting outside activity, which, as we all know, promotes a healthy lifestyle.

I don't like the concept of DST, but I do like the practical enhancement of evening daylight.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So I'm supposed to quit my job and sell my home because of DST? As soon as I do that, something would probably change. Doesn't sound so easy to me. There's been studies that show DST is detrimental to health, I'm sure there are some that say otherwise. I still miss when we did not observe DST, it's been more cons than pros for me.

I certainly did not think you would or should move. I find most people who don't like DST never dig into this issue to understand the other side. Sorry it does not work for you. In real life I know no one that hates DST.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I certainly did not think you would or should move. I find most people who don't like DST never dig into this issue to understand the other side. Sorry it does not work for you. In real life I know no one that hates DST.

I doubt it would bother me if I was retired or set my own work hours. I understand why some people like it, but I know a lot of people who don't.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I doubt it would bother me if I was retired or set my own work hours. I understand why some people like it, but I know a lot of people who don't.

Odd thing is, the folks that like that evening hour of daylight in the summer most are those without flexibility to get stuff done during the day and can use it after work.

Top Bottom