Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Wow, today was probably the longest non-xGE range trip I’ve had. Maybe longest. Shootapalooza runs all day too.

I ran 50 rounds through the 716 using the Christensen break in methodology which is 2 3 shot groups, then clean and repeat for 50 rounds. In the end, I was able to pull a nice group that was probably sub-MOA but the optic needs dialed in with proper ammo. The break in procedure was done using some FMJ M80 ammo that did not impress with accuracy. It will be fun to run the rest of this on the steel at 200 yards but I’d never trust it beyond that. The last bit of ammo run was some high end stuff that I picked up off of Tarzan. At the end of the day, I had run 60 rounds through the new rifle in 3 hours with lots and lots of cleaning happening between them.

I came home to find the Magpul bipod had arrived, so this will warrant another range trip to play with that. Overall, I’m quite happy with the 716. I did not put the optic through it’s paces and can only say that using it as a standard optic workers quite nicely.

I also had a chance to run the Sig P226 after the GG trigger upgrade and am quite happy with the results.

Best part of the day was getting to spend several hours with Czickoos. I really needed a day like this and am quite happy to have been able to spend it with friends.

Glad you had a good time. Bummed I was stuck at home and my HVAC guy never even showed... :(

Yeah. Me too. Thinking of the good days we managed to have. And the good times here that he caused.
    Amen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK you bunch of SIGo's

I’ve looked at that one many times. It’s the best way into a 10mm Sig right now and would need nothing other than to be enjoyed. Unfortunately, I put the money that could have been used there into the AR10.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Morning Gents.

Wizard, Please let BA know he is in our prayers. I hate cancer, I lost two grandmothers to it.

I stopped in at Badger Creek this weekend. They had a few nice 1911s, but they were either in 10mm or 45, and that is not a caliber I currently use. I don't think getting into a new caliber right now is smart. When ammo is more plentiful, then I can look into getting into another caliber, and start stocking up on it. If they had had a 9mm, I might have walked out with one. Though I still think I want to build one, like I did the AR.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and in the past, I took the day off and indulged myself by spending the day at the range. If it coincided with a weekend, I’d squeeze as many as 5 range trips into the 3 days and Shootapalooza was born.

I am sad that this year, there will be no Shootapalooza even though the birthday is on a Monday. I will still take the day off and head to the range but I probably won’t burn through more than 100 rounds.

First world problems, right?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning Gents.

Wizard, Please let BA know he is in our prayers. I hate cancer, I lost two grandmothers to it.

I stopped in at Badger Creek this weekend. They had a few nice 1911s, but they were either in 10mm or 45, and that is not a caliber I currently use. I don't think getting into a new caliber right now is smart. When ammo is more plentiful, then I can look into getting into another caliber, and start stocking up on it. If they had had a 9mm, I might have walked out with one. Though I still think I want to build one, like I did the AR.

I am of the opposite mind in caliber selection. I like the idea of diversifying my calibers so whatever ammo comes available, I have something to shoot it with. Last month, I ordered a box of Nagant revolver ammo because it was all that was available and I can shoot it. A couple months before that, I picked up a case of M1 Carbine ammo for a reasonable price.

Diversifying calibers keeps your options open. 9mm supplies will be tight for a good while as supplies try to meet the massive demand but there are still some odd calibers on store shelves. When we needed some .303 Brit for an Enfield, I had 3 brands to choose from at my LGS

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Met gregkl this morning. He brought the Leupold glass he was selling up to the mouse compound. Shared good conversation over a cup and I have a new to me optic for the current AR project taking up the bench.
    Ah, so you're the one who picked that up. I was not the mouse who got the cheese on that.

I'm going to have to agree with 88 on caliber diversification. It seems easy to save a lot of money if buying one caliber in bulk during non-hectic times. But having a gun for any ammo on the shelf would be useful.

Upcoming weekend should be the first totally free weekend in a couple months. I think it'll be time to take the time to operate on my P-09. First cajunizing experience. Hopefully will also set up my vise onto the bench for some various vise-needed gun surgeries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom