• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just applied for mine last week in Indianapolis. I was told I would know in 10-12 weeks. I submitted mine online so hopefully that will speed things up but who knows. A lot of people were in there when I went to pay so I guess they are getting popular. No range shooting for me for a few months until I'm approved!!!

Don't wait to be approved to go to the range. Better to have you proficient with your weapon when your carry permit arrives so that you know what you're doing.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The State Police has been looking for my application for two weeks now. My Kentucky License is now expired. Darn it!

Disapointed but not supprised. They are swamped. I guess that is good for We the People. :>)

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Don't wait to be approved to go to the range. Better to have you proficient with your weapon when your carry permit arrives so that you know what you're doing.
    THat would be against the law.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.
    <A name=IC35-47-2-2>IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another

So without a permit one cannot legally take his/her handgun to the range for practice.

AWGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the tips guys, I did manage to shoot it right after I bought it so I do have practice on it. Believe me I have thought about taking it to the range and shooting it and if something did happen use the place of repair excuse but I would rather be safe than sorry.

LEO - Son why is the barrel hot?
    Me- ummm repair shop cleaned it with really hot water......

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope the permit comes sooner than later.

cmax001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Granger
    In St Joe County, my wife applied and submitted paperwork on November 10th. She just got her permit on January 17th. She was afraid I was on a "list" and wasn't going to get it on account of being married to me. Go figure.:dunno:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the tips guys, I did manage to shoot it right after I bought it so I do have practice on it. Believe me I have thought about taking it to the range and shooting it and if something did happen use the place of repair excuse but I would rather be safe than sorry.

LEO - Son why is the barrel hot?
    Me- ummm repair shop cleaned it with really hot water......

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope the permit comes sooner than later.

Maybe there are some cops on here that can correct me if I'm wrong, but, a highly placed officer with IMPD told me that if you have an unloaded weapon in your trunk and are transporting to the range, "no one would ever give you a hassle".

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Maybe there are some cops on here that can correct me if I'm wrong, but, a highly placed officer with IMPD told me that if you have an unloaded weapon in your trunk and are transporting to the range, "no one would ever give you a hassle".

Every police officer I have spoken with in IMPD, Johnson Co., Greenwood, etc. have told me the same thing. The chances of anything coming out of it are very slim, but it is still technically illegal and a law we need amended at the very least to allow this type of carry in a vehilce.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Every police officer I have spoken with in IMPD, Johnson Co., Greenwood, etc. have told me the same thing. The chances of anything coming out of it are very slim, but it is still technically illegal and a law we need amended at the very least to allow this type of carry in a vehilce.

Agreed. How do we get it started? Surely our legislature will support making it legal to train with our legal firearms so that we are more proficient in exercising our right to self-defense.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My ISP Brother-in-Law asked about my permit application today. He did it in person. He was told they found it. However they did not offer to say where it was found or to show the application. He was told another two weeks. Sounds strange to me. If I was asked the same question I would offer more information. My BiL did not ask where, when or to see it either. Go figure. So another two weeks for me. That will make it around twelve weeks. Oh well, good things come to those who wait. So I will wait. I hope this will end my saga.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Renewal from a 4 year to Lifetime LTCH

Mailed renewal application 11-20-08

Date issued 1-20-08

Arrived 1-23-08

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, at least it appears they are working through the surge. I just re-read the statute and per the law, the state is REQUIRED to process all applications within 60 days.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, at least it appears they are working through the surge. I just re-read the statute and per the law, the state is REQUIRED to process all applications within 60 days.

Mine is going on 90 days, but who is counting. Sometimes patience is a hard thing to keep going. Oh well, if it had to happen to someone I would rather it be me than you all; At least I still had my Kentucky License up to a week or so ago when it expired. So until Indiana Permit arrives, I'll patiently and happily spend my free time on the INGO Forum!

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Can anyone tell me what i have to do to change my address and the cost

You can email Kim Cross at ISP and give her your new address include your name, DOB, old address, new address and your LTCH number when doing so.

Her email address is KCross@isp.state.in.us

There is no fee for changing you address unless you want a new copy of your LTCH with the new address on it. You are not required to get a new copy after a change of address. If yo do want a new copy I believe the new duplicate fee is $20.

foxtrotridge

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks for the information! I was told to just write to the ISP and advise them of my move, but never heard from them .It's been over a year. So everything could be okay, just never pushed it. I did email her today and gave her all of the needed information. Thanks again

Last edited:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sent it out on 1/24. So we'll see. Just gives me time to save up for a holster. Haha.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. Lots of interesting holster options. What's your gun model and what kind of holster are you looking for? I've found a couple of small handmade shops that look very interesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom