• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    BS. I'm 62 years old. Suck it up buttercups. Minimum wage was $2.35 an hour when I entered the work force. You don't want to make minimum wage? Do something to make yourself more valuable. Either through more education, or through working harder and improving your value to your employer.
    I don’t think there should be a minimum wage. Seriously. Who’s paying that now?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    TPTB don't think there should be "full employment" anyway. They've been working toward other economic models for years:

"In particular, the book is known for defining a possible "20/80 society". In this possible society of the 21st century, 20 percent of the working age population will be enough to keep the world economy going. The other 80 percent live on some form of welfare and are entertained with a concept called "tittytainment",[2] which aims at keeping the 80 percent of frustrated citizens happy with a mixture of deadeningly predictable, lowest common denominator entertainment for the soul and nourishment for the body."

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Could you survive on $7.25/hour?

I'm not at the start of my career, nor it's end. I worked minimum wage back in the day for the experience. Then I got an education and a career. When I thought I wasn't paid fairly, I either put my nose to the grindstone to get a raise, or I move to a company that offered more.

Certain people seem to want to just do "work" of some sort and get the same as someone who has training, education, experience and works hard. Same attitude as those on welfare. They think they "deserve" to have what people who work hard have. They don't. You are the Captain of your own ship, if you steer it into the rocks or whatever, don't blame society, the greedy corporations, et al.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've always done that. Ever since I was a kid and sticking a thermometer on the lightbulb on my bedside lamp so I could get out of going to school. :lmfao:
    Did you ever freak your parents out when you had a temperature of 111* ?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not at the start of my career, nor it's end. I worked minimum wage back in the day for the experience. Then I got an education and a career. When I thought I wasn't paid fairly, I either put my nose to the grindstone to get a raise, or I move to a company that offered more.

Certain people seem to want to just do "work" of some sort and get the same as someone who has training, education, experience and works hard. Same attitude as those on welfare. They think they "deserve" to have what people who work hard have. They don't. You are the Captain of your own ship, if you steer it into the rocks or whatever, don't blame society, the greedy corporations, et al.
    Dammit wt, I was just looking at your avatar and thought mbills had posted this, and quite frankly, I was freaking out! I thought he'd had a "come to Jesus" moment! :lmfao:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you ever freak your parents out when you had a temperature of 111* ?
    Oh no. I was smart enough to let it get to a reasonable "fever" temperature.

iu

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Dammit wt, I was just looking at your avatar and thought mbills had posted this, and quite frankly, I was freaking out! I thought he'd had a "come to Jesus" moment! :lmfao:

That's hilarious... :):

I get irritated with this whole "fight for $15" BS. If you follow any of it, in most places it's been implemented, it hurts the employees more than helps. Sure, you make more per hour, but because the fast food place, for instance, honestly can't afford to pay more than they already do, they give less hours to their employees. Not only do they make less overall, but go from full time with benefits, to part time without. Things get worse for the workforce instead of better, but the politicians pushing the agenda will take the "win".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's hilarious... :):

I get irritated with this whole "fight for $15" BS. If you follow any of it, in most places it's been implemented, it hurts the employees more than helps. Sure, you make more per hour, but because the fast food place, for instance, honestly can't afford to pay more than they already do, they give less hours to their employees. Not only do they make less overall, but go from full time with benefits, to part time without. Things get worse for the workforce instead of better, but the politicians pushing the agenda will take the "win".
    iu

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is approximately zero chance that the economy changes course in the next 6 months. I don't think any one could reasonably change the course of where we are that quickly. If they don't have something special up their sleeves to get the left excited, it's going to be ugly for the Democrat party.
    Oh, the economy could still change course. Augur in still counts as a possible trajectory

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I mean it clearly isn't if they can't find someone. I realize a given position is only worth so much, but if no one wants it at that pay rate what are you going to do.

You can hoot and holler about people getting back to work and Gen Z all you want but it doesn't fix the labor issue. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it isn't going to change anytime soon.
    You can petition your representatives to rein in the overly generous layabout unemployment compensation

Tough to compete when the government doesn't have to pay its bills and just prints more money

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So we owe them a living now? Can't they just be paid what they're worth?

Plenty of people get by on less than that hourly waitering/waitressing at a gig with good tips
    Well those jobs have always been exempt from minimum wage for obvious reasons.

#endtipping

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There are very few entry level minimum wage jobs with room for growth in today's world. I don't know your age, but I wonder also if you're factoring in inflation and general increase in cost of living. Prices increased at a rate significantly higher than wages.
    As they did during the Carter years, but the youth somehow managed to survive

Even if you pay them $25 per hour minimum wage, costs will eventually catch up with
    that and you will **** off your experienced workers who might not be making that much more than that

Top Bottom