• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Question/scenario: Say you bought a gun from your LGS. You're the original owner of it. You post photos of it online, showcasing your newly purchased prized possession on a non-specific firearms forum for no specific locale (Not limited to Indiana Gun Onwers). Serial number is in plain view and readable.

This option is pretty safe and secure. The firearm went from Manufacture to Dist, Dist to Retailer, Retailer to owner (for most cases). You're the original owner, therefore you know if you'd had reported it stolen or committed a crime with said object.

Now, if you bought a used gun. No matter from who (dealer, out of state - transferred to your ffl, FTF) you have no idea how many hands this product has been. No idea wether it has been stolen or used in a crime. This changes things, as there are sites to check serials for stolen firearms. All stolen firearms my not be listed, but all it takes is one to be found on such a list. Then the owner of said firearm is gonna have to answer some questions and lose his/her firearm.

Don't think that someone who lost a firearm wouldn't check serials with a like model gun which has just been posted on a forum. Said person reports he just saw it on some site and the process begins.

Or how about LE personnal looking at such photo's in their off-time/on-time? Recognizing a model and running the serial?
    Don't think it could happen?

Who would be capable of 'running' these numbers? If they were ran, what information could be discovered from this? Name(s)? Address that was used on the form when buying it? Shop who sold it? What other private details? State? Other information about the locale? Information about the individual? What does a serial number of a firearm, assuming you're the original owner actually tell the person looking it up? I doubt there is purely a database that simply says 'Reported stolen' or 'Not reported stolen', I'd imagine there is more details then just that. Right?

Info probably varies from case to case.

I ask because it's not like it's unheard of for people to abuse their powers. Maybe "HotGirlWithGuns1911" (I don't think this is actually a real member... haha) posts pictures of her new.. whatever. Then some sleezy person with access to look up such things runs her serial number. Oh hey, "HotGirlWithGuns1911" lives 40 miles away, or her real name is this, or whatever... See where I am getting at?

Sh*t happens all the time, so why take the chance? Some people don't have the means to fight such a battle.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Serial number?Ohhh...that explains all those deep gouges on all the guys I buy from my neighbor(whose house always curiously smells of ether,antifreeze,and ammonia).They tend to be in different places on each gun.I always figured they were just from hard use.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd certainly want to know if I were in possession of a stolen gun, wouldn't you??

What is stolen and what is registered as stolen can be two different things.
    Old timer goes to FL for a few months of the year and an offspring back home sells some of his stuff, claiming he's dead. Goes to LGS and does proper bills of sale............for months.
    Gramps comes home, and doesn't check safe for a couple of months and then one day opens the door and all heck breaks loose.
    Now...............unless he presses charges on his butthead kid, they aint legally stolen.
    But to him they are, and he starts the backtracking process on his own (as some stuff still on LGS shelves).

He gets some back (pays LGS for what they have in them), refuses to press charges on his kid..............so he's got 50% of his stuff back, but really misses a few items.

If he sees one on a forum ( maybe didn't have serial numbers but can identify it from other, or maybe found the serial number list just recently)................it's gonna be fun dealing with that mess. You don't want a stolen gun? Define stolen to him!

You gonna give it back? (since it isn't yours and is "stolen")
    You gonna sell it back? If so, how much ?

Best IMHO to let sleeping dogs lie................and not putting up serial numbers does just that.
    There are more stolen rigs not on the hot list than most folks think. This living away and coming back to find the guns missing is actually a more common occurrence.

Heck, even what gets reported stolen can still move through proper channels (maybe due to typo or other clerical error). My bud had a rig, kinda rare, get stolen many moons ago. Got his insurance claim.

Goes to a gunshow and there it sits, 2 yrs later. Reputable dealer too. He got his insurance so just let it be.

If it's known good through proper channels 1 or 2 or 3 changes back.................that doesn't mean it's still super clean (legally or other).

I'd just as soon not invite trouble. Then there's the stuff where folks THINK they have found an item that was lost or stolen and are incorrect. Most people suck.

Best not to do stuff to invite them into your life.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if a simple modern day way to check serial numbers, such as a state law enforcement website, would be a benefit or problem for gun owners?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always done that, but don't really have a good reason. I used to think that anti-gunners could just be pricks by reporting guns with the s/n to be stolen to get them pulled off the street if there ever was a check done, but don't know if that's realistic. My guess is that anyone reporting a stolen gun will do so in the form of a police report and that when proven to be false, would face a hefty fine or other punishment for filing a false report.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Question/scenario: Say you bought a gun from your LGS. You're the original owner of it. You post photos of it online, showcasing your newly purchased prized possession on a non-specific firearms forum for no specific locale (Not limited to Indiana Gun Onwers). Serial number is in plain view and readable.

Who would be capable of 'running' these numbers? If they were ran, what information could be discovered from this? Name(s)? Address that was used on the form when buying it? Shop who sold it? What other private details? State? Other information about the locale? Information about the individual? What does a serial number of a firearm, assuming you're the original owner actually tell the person looking it up? I doubt there is purely a database that simply says 'Reported stolen' or 'Not reported stolen', I'd imagine there is more details then just that. Right?

I ask because it's not like it's unheard of for people to abuse their powers. Maybe "HotGirlWithGuns1911" (I don't think this is actually a real member... haha) posts pictures of her new.. whatever. Then some sleezy person with access to look up such things runs her serial number. Oh hey, "HotGirlWithGuns1911" lives 40 miles away, or her real name is this, or whatever... See where I am getting at?

Can anyone comment on this? I'm more curious what information can be found about an individual if their serial is displayed. Even if it's just the first/last name of the original owner, then that alone would warrant blurring it out or not displaying it, I think.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Can anyone comment on this? I'm more curious what information can be found about an individual if their serial is displayed. Even if it's just the first/last name of the original owner, then that alone would warrant blurring it out or not displaying it, I think.

11 questions in one post are too many for an old man like me to answer, sorry.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    11 questions in one post are too many for an old man like me to answer, sorry.

Let's start with the most basic question, and one that would have privacy oriented folks the most concerned: What identifying information can be found out about the original owner of a firearm by having a serial number publicly known?

If there is nothing identifying, no name, general location, etc... then there is no reason to blur/block/hide it. However if any of this information is shown, then I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hide it.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Let's start with the most basic question, and one that would have privacy oriented folks the most concerned: What identifying information can be found out about the original owner of a firearm by having a serial number publicly known?

If there is nothing identifying, no name, general location, etc... then there is no reason to blur/block/hide it. However if any of this information is shown, then I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hide it.

None, unless you/someone had access to the atf tracing system.

what kind of proof do you get from a private sale?

Video w/voice and a witness.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about you make a duplicate of your handgun's frame (if it's the only part with the serial number etched into it), but that does not have a serial number, because guns you manufacture only for personal use don't have to have SNs. Then, right where the SN is on your original frame, you install an indelible blob of epoxy on your hand made frame, making it look like you tried to obliterate the SN (a crime) and when that didn't fully work, you tried to just cover them up. Then, you reassemble your handgun onto your new frame and start carrying it around. Then, and this is where it gets good, when Ofc. Friendly notices you are OCing and demands you stand at attention while he performs a bureaucratic rectal exam on all of your public documents in the middle of Walmart, when he gets to your personal protection sidearm's SN, you can watch his mental gears mash up as he starts trying to remember the IC for defacing a firearm's SN. You're gonna go to jail, but then you get to legalisticly rape the prosecutor and cop for arresting you for a crime that never took place. It'll be a hoot!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How about you make a duplicate of your handgun's frame (if it's the only part with the serial number etched into it), but that does not have a serial number, because guns you manufacture only for personal use don't have to have SNs. Then, right where the SN is on your original frame, you install an indelible blob of epoxy on your hand made frame, making it look like you tried to obliterate the SN (a crime) and when that didn't fully work, you tried to just cover them up. Then, you reassemble your handgun onto your new frame and start carrying it around. Then, and this is where it gets good, when Ofc. Friendly notices you are OCing and demands you stand at attention while he performs a bureaucratic rectal exam on all of your public documents in the middle of Walmart, when he gets to your personal protection sidearm's SN, you can watch his mental gears mash up as he starts trying to remember the IC for defacing a firearm's SN. You're gonna go to jail, but then you get to legalisticly rape the prosecutor and cop for arresting you for a crime that never took place. It'll be a hoot!
    [video=youtube_share;0GEx4HG-SgM]http://youtu.be/0GEx4HG-SgM[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I blur license plate numbers and serial numbers of firearms and vehicles owned by my family.

You know, someone could do a prank and report a vehicle as doing something illegal, and provide your license plate number to the authorities. Then they'll be looking for you. Not that you'll get in trouble.....they have to see you commit the crime.....but it'll create enough of a hassle, no doubt.

Or report car stolen, or whatever. Can report gun stolen too. I doubt you'd report someone doing an illegal activity with a gun and mention the serial number, but the rest is very possible. How would you see the serial number?

If you post something on the internet, cover up all personal information.

Top Bottom