• ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i don't cover them up.....i don't see what anyone could do with them anyway:dunno:....i have better things to worry about....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I guess it's possible one could be the unknowing recipient of a gun that some putz left in a public restroom? Said putz, too embarrassed to report his foolishness, might spend some time with a regular googling routine? For that matter, even if reported stolen, the "potty gun" would not necessarily be detected as such unless checked for that specifically.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    And if I can prove it is mine after they file a police report it is false reporting and possibly attempted theft (?)... seems like a pretty big risk for a person to try. Hell, I have insurance submissions for coverage dating back decades with make, model, serial numbers. In some cases I have military armory importation records where I've moved and brought them back from overseas stations. Try explaining that away after making a claim of a stolen weapon.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't cover my serial numbers up in pics. I've never heard of something happening to someone for allowing their serial number to get out lol. I have seen them covered plenty of times, but still don't understand why. I mean, I could walk into any gun store right now and see hundreds of serial numbers on used guns. So, if I'm wrong, I guess the gun shops should start putting duct tape on all the serial numbers.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I think it's funny when I see original Mosin "serial numbers", if you could even call them that, covered up while the US compliant serial number electro penciled on the side isn't covered up.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    In the world we live in today, I'd think it advisable to not give out too much personal info on any public forum. Why does anyone else need to know what you own right down to the serial number ? What's the upside of it ? They don't need to know your license number, social sec number, bank number, so why on earth would they need your gun's serial number ? It does nothing to add to the story.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    so why on earth would they need your gun's serial number? It does nothing to add to the story.

:n00b: It's not that they need to know it. I'm just not going to take the time to edit out something no one can do anything with anyway.

If you are that concerned with someone knowing what you have, why are you posting pictures of it on the internet to begin with?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ​GUB-MINT!!!!!

Screen-shot-2013-03-11-at-10.12.08-AM.png

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was just about to start a thread asking opinions on this topic as I just posted a gun up on armslist. I didn't bother covering or editing the serial number because I really couldn't think of a good reason to. I bought the gun from a very good friend who bought it from a LGS. It would be pretty easy to disprove someone else's false claim of ownership.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    You could always just photoshop the wrong serial number in place of the real one. That way no one thinks you are anywhere close to as paranoid as you really are.

Top Bottom