Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    The-more-you-know-the-more-you-realize-you-dont-know.jpg

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I just take a picture of the other side of the weapon. No specific reason just have always done it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some people have guns go missing, not everything ends up on a "hot list" either.

Could be a hassle over something that might have otherwise been let go.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know the reason, but I have never seen the entire serial number shown or identified in print in any of the Gun magazines I read. May be the same reason no one on this site ever uses their full name! I haven't posted any pictures of my firearms (yet) , I guess I might be a little leery of posting the SN as the magazines don't..... What other people don't know can't harm me, I guess but I can't come up with a reason other than if the government decides the firearm in question is one that needs to be "registered" (as is currently happening in Connecticut).......

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is absolutely imperative that you cover your guns serial numbers!!!

If you don't then horrible things will happen.

If you don't believe me here are the top ten (10) reasons to cover your guns serial numbers:

#10) Illegal guns coming across the border will use them and collect their benefits.
    #09) Illegal guns will use this information create a new gun with a consecutive serial number here in the United States and it will receive all of the benefits of being born here!
    #08) Illegal guns can use it to process warranty coverage on themselves that they did NOT pay for!
    #07) Illegal gun owners can use this to pay for illegal guns under the table, thus avoiding their fiscal responsibility to pay the government.
    #06) Illegal gun dealers can use these numbers to create illegal guns, thus depriving American guns the opportunity to be sold.
    #05) Illegal gun sellers can use these to sell instead of brand new American guns, thus stealing American jobs!
    #04) Illegal guns can use these numbers to apply for rust protection that they haven't paid for.
    #03) Illegal guns can use this information to acquire ammunition they have not paid for.
    #02) Illegal guns will use these numbers to commit insurance fraud, and send this money out of the United States.

and the number ONE reason not to is:

#01) Because legal guns have earned the right to fly their numbers proudly!

Regards,

Doug

PS - Apply much purple as needed :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    To All,

It is absolutely imperative that you cover your guns serial numbers!!!

If you don't then horrible things will happen.

If you don't believe me here are the top ten (10) reasons to cover your guns serial numbers:

#10) Illegal guns coming across the border will use them and collect their benefits.
    #09) Illegal guns will use this information create a new gun with a consecutive serial number here in the United States and it will receive all of the benefits of being born here!
    #08) Illegal guns can use it to process warranty coverage on themselves that they did NOT pay for!
    #07) Illegal gun owners can use this to pay for illegal guns under the table, thus avoiding their fiscal responsibility to pay the government.
    #06) Illegal gun dealers can use these numbers to create illegal guns, thus depriving American guns the opportunity to be sold.
    #05) Illegal gun sellers can use these to sell instead of brand new American guns, thus stealing American jobs!
    #04) Illegal guns can use these numbers to apply for rust protection that they haven't paid for.
    #03) Illegal guns can use this information to acquire ammunition they have not paid for.
    #02) Illegal guns will use these numbers to commit insurance fraud, and send this money out of the United States.

and the number ONE reason not to is:

#01) Because legal guns have earned the right to fly their numbers proudly!

Regards,

Doug

PS - Apply much purple as needed :)
    What you did there... I see it!
    icon_biggrin.gif

^ exactly what I was thinking!!
    No, no it wasn't...

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If you stole the gun I can see the reason. :) If you bought it you should have proof of that. Even from a private sale.:dunno:

Here's a senario for you.

You bought it, legally, from someone. Who got it from someone and somewhere down the line, one of those "someones" stole it or bought a stolen gun. Then what? Do you want to be out the funds when they retrieve the stolen property?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Here's a senario for you.

You bought it, legally, from someone. Who got it from someone and somewhere down the line, one of those "someones" stole it or bought a stolen gun. Then what? Do you want to be out the funds when they retrieve the stolen property?

I'd certainly want to know if I were in possession of a stolen gun, wouldn't you??

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Question/scenario: Say you bought a gun from your LGS. You're the original owner of it. You post photos of it online, showcasing your newly purchased prized possession on a non-specific firearms forum for no specific locale (Not limited to Indiana Gun Onwers). Serial number is in plain view and readable.

Who would be capable of 'running' these numbers? If they were ran, what information could be discovered from this? Name(s)? Address that was used on the form when buying it? Shop who sold it? What other private details? State? Other information about the locale? Information about the individual? What does a serial number of a firearm, assuming you're the original owner actually tell the person looking it up? I doubt there is purely a database that simply says 'Reported stolen' or 'Not reported stolen', I'd imagine there is more details then just that. Right?

I ask because it's not like it's unheard of for people to abuse their powers. Maybe "HotGirlWithGuns1911" (I don't think this is actually a real member... haha) posts pictures of her new.. whatever. Then some sleezy person with access to look up such things runs her serial number. Oh hey, "HotGirlWithGuns1911" lives 40 miles away, or her real name is this, or whatever... See where I am getting at?

Top Bottom