• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My technique involves standing by my grill (at the farm...Not in town) with whatever gun I happen to have on me and every now and again when I am flipping a steak or burger I draw my weapon and shoot my 8" gong from between 15 and 25 yards out with a cig dangling from my mouth...Weak hand or strong hand depending on which hand the spatula is in...I do this every weekend and expend between 30-50 rounds doing it...

AND, he does it without spilling a drop of his beer.:bowdown:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I believe this post completely.

I learned that technique from Massad Ayoob believe it or not....He used to run into this guy at a small local range that would come in once a week with a 1911 and a box of 50 rounds....The guy would break it down in 1/3's, strong hand, weak hand, and then two hands...I say Massad but it may have been Jan Libourel who wrote the article...I think the point he was trying to make was if you do that consistently on a weekly basis at 20 yards you should be better prepared than most..Maybe not the best prepared, but better than most.....

It turned out the guy had a small business and had been robbed at gun point and felt the need to have a weapon and that if he had one he should shoot it at least 50 times a week...The article stuck with me and I modified it to where I could get the cooking done while getting the practice in as well....Plus it's better than JUST watching meat sear.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Training is a personal matter...

My technique involves standing by my grill (at the farm...Not in town) with whatever gun I happen to have on me and every now and again when I am flipping a steak or burger I draw my weapon and shoot my 8" gong from between 15 and 25 yards out with a cig dangling from my mouth...Weak hand or strong hand depending on which hand the spatula is in...I do this every weekend and expend between 30-50 rounds doing it...

I don't know if it is good training or not but it let's the wife know that I am still in the yard and that there is no longer any need for me to wear the shock collar....

Oh yeah. I've heard of that drill. It's called the "grill drill".

I don't do it because I don't have a fancy gas grill. Can it still work with those cheapo charcoal grills from walmart?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    AND, he does it without spilling a drop of his beer.:bowdown:

Actually there is a Bourbon and RC on the rocks in a Mason jar on the picnic table that is my reward AFTER the shooting is over....When it's really hot and you are watching those ice cubes melt you CAN expend those rounds rather quickly...That Bourbon and RC ain't going to drink itself you know...:):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh yeah. I've heard of that drill. It's called the "grill drill".

I don't do it because I don't have a fancy gas grill. Can it still work with those cheapo charcoal grills from walmart?

How dare you insinuate that I grill meat with "gasp" propane!!!!

It's a little bitty portable Char Grill with cast iron grates....I tried the cheapy route and after replacing it every year at $25 bucks a pop this year I opted for the portable Char Grill from Bass Pro at $80 and after a year of grilling I feel like it is not even properly seasoned yet....I set it up on my shooting table (or picnic table as the Mrs. calls it)....

Here it is....Looks like they run about $67 plus shipping from Amazon....

char_griller_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Training is a personal matter...

I don't know if it is good training or not but it let's the wife know that I am still in the yard and that there is no longer any need for me to wear the shock collar....

you should consider setting up a class, sounds like good training!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    So you're thinking 1/2 pounder per burger? What about condiments.

Definitely 1/2 pound per burger.

I don't know about accessories (condiments). I am stiff about burgers, I don't like to try new things. My buddy puts way too many condiments on his. Every time I talk to him he is trying something new.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Definitely 1/2 pound per burger.

I don't know about accessories (condiments). I am stiff about burgers, I don't like to try new things. My buddy puts way too many condiments on his. Every time I talk to him he is trying something new.

Peanut butter and jalapenos. Try it, it's da she-it.;)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I can't address that other than to suggest that more than one person can be wrong in the same way.

I know that bwframe has had a significant amount of firearms-related training (and not all of it from us). I also know that he believes that it's very important to be able to use your weapon effectively under stress and that professional instruction followed by practice is an excellent way to move closer to that goal. He is an advocate and wants to encourage others with consider a similar path because he thinks it's valuable. Whether or not he is a successful advocate in your eyes is a different issue, but "look(ing) down his nose" is not a part of it, whether that is perceived by the reader or not.
    I understand what you're saying. All I was saying is that sometimes when he plays that card it comes off as condescending IMO.

Theses types of threads often end up with people going after each other and the next thing you know some one gets called "cupcake" and all hell breaks loose.

I blame Cory for upsetting the balance of the universe.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    To anyone who gets upset by some stranger on the internet calling him/her cupcake, and I mean this sincerely, lighten up, cupcake.

Top Bottom