• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should teacher use these punishments on students?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So what if you happen to be somebody who doesn't agree with your kids going to school and coming home with bruises? What then? Its hard to fit everyone into these government cookie-cutter institutions. What if Mr. Rambone the tenured civics teacher beat up your kid? What are you going to do, write a letter?

This system has to work for everyone. Which is exactly why socialized education is a sad joke.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Why don't we combine your posting passions and give them Ritalin, a flu shot, and you can search Yahoo for the therapy material?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    my kid gets spanked in school. he gets a pink slip to bring home and the next day at school he has to go see the principal and gets spanked. A teacher just randomly dishing out punishment would be a no no. It has to be structured and it has to be with parental consent.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    my kid gets spanked in school. he gets a pink slip to bring home and the next day at school he has to go see the principal and gets spanked. A teacher just randomly dishing out punishment would be a no no. It has to be structured and it has to be with parental consent.

And my Parents gave out the Consent at the Start of EVERY school year in advance... ;)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I can't believe people actually voted for the SWAT Team to come and paddle them. That's harsh.

Ok, in all seriousness. No one will ever lay a hand on my child out of anger or in a form of punishment. As my signature says, may God have mercy upon those that would, because I won't.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    being administered by strangers running your child's school.
    what would you allow a stranger to do to your kids?
    Want your 17 year old daughter to be spanked by a creepy old principal in his office?
    Go on, defend your side.

Gee I wonder what side you're on? Don't want to ask polling questions slanting towards what you believe in do you?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I started school in the 60's. I got paddled in 1st grade. It did not kill me. My parents attitude was it was fine with them if they had to paddle me and I would get another whipping when I got home to make sure it stuck. I think our society back then was better than it is now.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can't believe people actually voted for the SWAT Team to come and paddle them. That's harsh.

Ok, in all seriousness. No one will ever lay a hand on my child out of anger or in a form of punishment. As my signature says, may God have mercy upon those that would, because I won't.
    As long as the child has manners this should never be a Problem...
    The Child acts like a Hoodlum...
    Every action has a consequence...
    being administered by strangers running your child's school.
    what would you allow a stranger to do to your kids?
    Want your 17 year old daughter to be spanked by a creepy old principal in his office?
    Go on, defend your side.

Gee I wonder what side you're on? Don't want to ask polling questions slanting towards what you believe in do you?

I'll defend this side.

As I stated above you to MinuteMan47. As long as the Child has Manners this should never be an issue. However, if as a Parent someone has failed to teach their Child manners, well them someone must remove the Demons from them and teach them that there are consequences for Poor Decisions in life. Pain is the fastest way to teach anyone.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    As long as the child has manners this should never be a Problem...
    The Child acts like a Hoodlum...
    Every action has a consequence...

I'll defend this side.

As I stated above you to MinuteMan47. As long as the Child has Manners this should never be an issue. However, if as a Parent someone has failed to teach their Child manners, well them someone must remove the Demons from them and teach them that there are consequences for Poor Decisions in life. Pain is the fastest way to teach anyone.

Well jeremy, my parents didn't fail to teach me manners. While I was in school there was not one, but two teachers that put their hands on me. One was a gym teacher that got me into a choke hold and slammed me into the lockers in 8th grade just because I was beating his son's team in hockey during class. Running up the score would be a better way to put it, but hey, I didn't fully understand proper sports etiquette until later on in High School. Just because his kid was a crybaby, didn't mean I needed some tough guy dad to show me who the real boss was.

So, while I agree the parents have a responsibility to teach their kids manners...and expect their children to FOLLOW what they've been taught. There can still be teachers which are bad apples.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    In a public school where parents have little if any control over what goes on? Absolutely not. In a private school where I have done my job as a parent and made sure the people in charge are trustworthy? 100% yes.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    As the father of 2 daughters, I just don't trust the teachers or admins to do it. I handed out corproal punishment to my girls up to about 10 years old, and it has really become rare by then. Consequences like loss of TV, phone, etc. worked much better, and meant more. They were also more appropriate for young ladies.

I am a very involved parent. If my kid is acting up in school, they will WISH the school was the one handing out punishments. If a parent(s) are not involved with their kids, maybe corporal punishment would be appropriate for them. When my kids were in private school, we were asked for permission for corporal punishment to be administered if necessary. I told them no, explained why, and promised them I would take care of any punishment if it ever became necessary. They heard me out and had absolutely no problem with my choice. Never became an issue.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Like time outs and in school detentions are working.

Yep, now that gets their attention.
    I'll bite. I was a ****head in HS. I got my ass beat when I was younger from my 'rents. I got bigger and stronger than they did. At the time I didn't "learn" anything other than how to run faster, hide in the woods, and eventually how to fight back. Yup. Great life skills in today's society.

You could bet your ass that if my teachers, who I had less respect for, did any **** like that there would be problems. You could also bet your ass that school shootings would be more prevalent.

Ya'll need to quit the machoism. Junior High is over.

I don't have kids, but I just remember over and over being told that I was a young adult. Yadda yadda. Ok, now as a young adult, if I'm taught violence is a good tool to punish someone you don't like for doing something you don't like, I wonder how that is going to effect me as I get older...

Ya'll want respect from your kids, don't act like neanderthals. I think it's a pretty simple concept.

As for the poll, hell no I don't want someone else touching my kids. DanO seems to be making the most sense here. Don't blame the kids when you fall short as a parent because you're too busy puffing your chest to pay attention to them. You're just teaching your kids how to pass the buck, which I bet you ***** about politicians doing it. /rant

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    Correct me if i'm wrong guy's but i do believe that the school does not need the parents permission to spank. it is'nt generly done for fear of law suits from the my kid is a prefect child parent . and the ever present ACLU
    :ingo:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

I find this phenomenon interesting as well. Whenever there is a child punishment topic being discussed there is always a vocal group that give the impression that surviving their childhood was some form of accomplishment. They brag about how badly, how often, and where they were hit by their parents. It gets worn like a badge of courage.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'll bite. I was a ****head in HS. I got my ass beat when I was younger from my 'rents. I got bigger and stronger than they did. At the time I didn't "learn" anything other than how to run faster, hide in the woods, and eventually how to fight back. Yup. Great life skills in today's society.

You could bet your ass that if my teachers, who I had less respect for, did any **** like that there would be problems. You could also bet your ass that school shootings would be more prevalent.

I don't have kids, but I just remember over and over being told that I was a young adult. Yadda yadda. Ok, now as a young adult, if I'm taught violence is a good tool to punish someone you don't like for doing something you don't like, I wonder how that is going to effect me as I get older...

Ya'll want respect from your kids, don't act like neanderthals. I think it's a pretty simple concept.

As for the poll, hell no I don't want someone else touching my kids. DanO seems to be making the most sense here. Don't blame the kids when you fall short as a parent because you're too busy puffing your chest to pay attention to them. You're just teaching your kids how to pass the buck, which I bet you ***** about politicians doing it. /rant

Whatever. I got my ass beat on a regular basis. I never even thought about touching a teacher. Mostly because deep down I knew I deserved whatever punishment I received. I carried a riffle back and forth to school because I was on the shooting team. I had ammo. I wouldn't have even thought of shooting a teacher. It's the whiny ass little Ritalin kids that never had their ass tanned that have shot up schools.

Little whiny pricks that complain that life is tough don't know what tough is.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well jeremy, my parents didn't fail to teach me manners. While I was in school there was not one, but two teachers that put their hands on me. One was a gym teacher that got me into a choke hold and slammed me into the lockers in 8th grade just because I was beating his son's team in hockey during class. Running up the score would be a better way to put it, but hey, I didn't fully understand proper sports etiquette until later on in High School. Just because his kid was a crybaby, didn't mean I needed some tough guy dad to show me who the real boss was.
    So the example you have provided I see less as Punishment, and more as Bullying...

So, while I agree the parents have a responsibility to teach their kids manners...and expect their children to FOLLOW what they've been taught. There can still be teachers which are bad apples.
    There can be bad teachers...
    There are probably a higher percentage of Bad Parents though... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I find this phenomenon interesting as well. Whenever there is a child punishment topic being discussed there is always a vocal group that give the impression that surviving their childhood was some form of accomplishment. They brag about how badly, how often, and where they were hit by their parents. It gets worn like a badge of courage.

LOL...

I will admit I did get my backside tanned on Occassion by my Parents or by someone in Authority. The part of Surviving my childhood that I look back on with amazement is some of the truly STUPID stuff my Brother and I did and survived... :D

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    LOL...

I will admit I did get my backside tanned on Occassion by my Parents or by someone in Authority. The part of Surviving my childhood that I look back on with amazement is some of the truly STUPID stuff my Brother and I did and survived... :D

You mean situations like you and your gang stealing some of your buddies dad's powder, packing it into a Garcia Vega cigar tube that you swiped from the farmer you milked for, packing it with a glue gun and a black cat, putting it into a carp that you shot with your 10/22 in the fields after a flood made the strip pit overflow, and putting it in a mailbox? :)

Top Bottom