Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Although cute, there is definitely a false equivalency. The real difference is that the "Conservative" argument is yes, it is their right in both situations, but how they handle it is different. One will simply voice their displeasure and stop patronizing a business, the other will use whatever means they can to punish the business through litigation, politicization, slander, vandalism, violence, or using the force of the government. If they do not get their way, they will do it again. Perhaps the better comparison would be adult vs. petulant child.

I think this is an example where the market should decide. If a business doesn't want the liability and they think that most of their customers would feel safer if everyone were wearing masks, then let the market decide. Maybe another competing business thinks there's a market for people who don't want to wear masks, so they don't have the rule. Let's see whose idea wins.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think this is an example where the market should decide. If a business doesn't want the liability and they think that most of their customers would feel safer if everyone were wearing masks, then let the market decide. Maybe another competing business thinks there's a market for people who don't want to wear masks, so they don't have the rule. Let's see whose idea wins.

Why do you hate grandma and grandpa??

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Although cute, there is definitely a false equivalency. The real difference is that the "Conservative" argument is yes, it is their right in both situations, but how they handle it is different. One will simply voice their displeasure and stop patronizing a business, the other will use whatever means they can to punish the business through litigation, politicization, slander, vandalism, violence, or using the force of the government. If they do not get their way, they will do it again. Perhaps the better comparison would be adult vs. petulant child.

Are you saying conservatives are peaceful protestors?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    BAKERY: We refuse to serve gay people.
    CONSERVATIVES: That is their right!
    BAKERY: We refuse to serve anyone not wearing a mask.
    CONSERVATIVES: You’re violating our rights!

;)

A: No bakery ever refused to serve gay people.
    B: Where are conservatives claiming that stores who implement mask policies of their own volition are violating rights?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am saying it's not as black and white as the statement i replied to. I would also assert that is why conservatives are losing the battle, they don't agitate enough within the law. The one's I know hang out on forums, facebook pages, the office kitchen and complain in the echo chamber a lot but don't really do much.

Overwhelmingly and in stark contrast to Antifa and other leftist groups. Are you saying that isn't true?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What is the definition of a conservative so if I see an article that meets your threshold, I can post it?

A: No bakery ever refused to serve gay people.
    B: Where are conservatives claiming that stores who implement mask policies of their own volition are violating rights?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is that guy a conservative? How do we know?

Conservative or Libertarian, I'd be willing to bet....but who cares?

There are plenty of dumb people of every political stripe and their dumb thoughts do not impugn the entirety of whatever wing of politics they place themselves in.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

There are plenty of dumb people of every political stripe and their dumb thoughts do not impugn the entirety of whatever wing of politics they place themselves in.
    Yes, this. Chip wanted an example. I went with one that had already been posted. Didn't mean to imply that it was representative of all conservatives, only that there was a (likely) example to be found.

ETA: There also plenty of self-described conservatives right here on INGO that have indicated that their rights were being infringed upon by having to wear masks in certain stores.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Knowing" Chip though, I figured he had already considered that example and dismissed the idea he was a conservative. :)

Yes, this. Chip wanted an example. I went with one that had already been posted. Didn't mean to imply that it was representative of all conservatives, only that there was a (likely) example to be found.

ETA: There also plenty of self-described conservatives right here on INGO that have indicated that their rights were being infringed upon by having to wear masks in certain stores.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    All of that is true, so is there value in claiming that one side is more "dumb" to use your example?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    California doctors say they've seen more deaths from suicide than coronavirus since lockdowns

They are also saying that they've seen as many suicides in the last four weeks as an entire "normal" year. With lock-downs, isolation, job and money losses, this is unfortunately believable. As with many things, this is anecdotal, but it will be interesting to see when numbers come out if there really is a significant rise in overall suicides this year.

A colleague at IU has mentioned the same thing, they thought they were seeing more attempted suicides but couldn't be sure as visits for everything else have been down they just might have stuck out, we'll have to wait and compare numbers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom