• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    He can certainly mention that drug trials are ongoing and that he's very hopeful that our doctors and scientists will find better treatments. Hanging his hat on one specific treatment has put him in a position where he has to claim that it has benefit, even though no scientific benefit has been found yet

I would like to have more confidence in those drug trials, but unfortunately I've come to see that some (particularly the early ones like the VA report) have been designed to fail by not including zinc and being used too late in the disease progression (anti-virals are supposed to be used early). They can't seem to follow the basic protocol used by the early anecdotal accounts for "some reason". Unfortunately, the MedCram presentation showing evidence that zinc makes a real difference has been censored by Google, but can be found here (have to create a free account).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The problem here is Trump even discussing medications in any specific way. He doesn't know what he's talking about and as a president he has an influence on people. The bully pulpit should be used wisely, not flippantly

At the very least it caused a drug shortage that was dangerous to people that actually need it.

He can certainly mention that drug trials are ongoing and that he's very hopeful that our doctors and scientists will find better treatments. Hanging his hat on one specific treatment has put him in a position where he has to claim that it has benefit, even though no scientific benefit has been found yet

Does not follow. Trump touting the efficacy of a prescription drug cannot cause a drug shortage, because Trump can't prescribe drugs.

The correlation of disdain for hydroxychloroquine and opposition to Trump/TDS remains strong. Trump never "hung his hat" on hydroxychloroquine; he merely touted it as promising. Hydroxychloroquine has shown scientific benefit. To say that it has not is untrue. The nature and extent of scientific data are still being developed, but those data do exist.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Does not follow. Trump touting the efficacy of a prescription drug cannot cause a drug shortage, because Trump can't prescribe drugs.

The correlation of disdain for hydroxychloroquine and opposition to Trump/TDS remains strong. Trump never "hung his hat" on hydroxychloroquine; he merely touted it as promising. Hydroxychloroquine has shown scientific benefit. To say that it has not is untrue. The nature and extent of scientific data are still being developed, but those data do exist.

Unfortunately even a few MD are intellectually lazy or prescribed it out of fear and knee jerk response.

While Trump cannot prescribe the medication himself, it's not realistic to ignore the influence of the most powerful political positron in the world.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I agree. I think that potential benefits are pretty marginal but it's a harmless protocol. Medcram hosts do a good job of being honest about what is known and unknown.

I particularly think a low dose of vitamin D is not a bad idea for people who don't get outside much, for people who have darker skin, and maybe for any of us in the winter

Based on what, exactly?

Hydroxychloroquine appears to be more effective as a prophylaxis or given before severe symptoms have set in, and less effective against severe symptoms. That doesn't mean that its potential benefits are "pretty marginal" but rather that it has a particular role in treatment protocols.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I would like to have more confidence in those drug trials, but unfortunately I've come to see that some (particularly the early ones like the VA report) have been designed to fail by not including zinc and being used too late in the disease progression (anti-virals are supposed to be used early). They can't seem to follow the basic protocol used by the early anecdotal accounts for "some reason". Unfortunately, the MedCram presentation showing evidence that zinc makes a real difference has been censored by Google, but can be found here (have to create a free account).

They weren't designed to fail. You can't cover every angle and every circumstance with one trial. In fact if you make too many variables at once then you have no control group.

I think YouTube made a mistake in removing a video from medcram, but YouTube is not a source a full scientific studies anyway. It's just a format for explaining it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Unfortunately even a few MD are intellectually lazy or prescribed it out of fear and knee jerk response.

While Trump cannot prescribe the medication himself, it's not realistic to ignore the influence of the most powerful political positron in the world.

Prescribing medicine not based on professional medical evaluation but instead on the word of a politician would represent a gross violation of a doctor's professional oath and responsibility. How that would be Trump's fault is beyond me.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...gue-real-and-shaming-people-wont-help/611482/

I think the focus needs to be on education of how and when to use masks, how to improve ventilation in buildings, and to encourage outdoor activities. If governments keep trying to close everything down they are going to have no influence whatsoever by the time fall comes and things will be worse than with people gathering indoors again

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    They weren't designed to fail. You can't cover every angle and every circumstance with one trial. In fact if you make too many variables at once then you have no control group.

I think YouTube made a mistake in removing a video from medcram, but YouTube is not a source a full scientific studies anyway. It's just a format for explaining it.

Of course it was designed to fail. No existing anti-viral is prescribed once the disease progression passes the early phases, but that is where they used it. The only possible surprise result would have been if it actually worked.

Unfortunately, it went beyond that to political when that same VA study was used by the MSM as the basis to allege that a drug that has been used with minimal side affects for 70 years and that some people take for decades was suddenly dangerous.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Of course it was designed to fail. No existing anti-viral is prescribed once the disease progression passes the early phases, but that is where they used it. The only possible surprise result would have been if it actually worked.

Unfortunately, it went beyond that to political when that same VA study was used by the MSM as the basis to allege that a drug that has been used with minimal side affects for 70 years and that some people take for decades was suddenly dangerous.
    then maybe don't get your medical news from the MSM

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Sure it could. Influence can be very powerful. The pressure that patients put on their physicians, and the lure of money can be very powerful. I had tendonitis in my foot that was very painful. I could barely walk sometimes. My doctor prescribed Ruffin. He marked it no generics. It's Ibuprofen for **** sake. And it was REALLY expensive. The pharmacist was pretty shocked. He told me I could just get a bottle of Advil or any other Ibuprofen and just take the same dose as prescribed. Be a lot cheaper. The Ibuprofen kinda helped. But I still had problems walking. And then I read an article about that particular tendonitis. It suggested a kind of stretching exercise. So whenever I had difficulty walking. I did the stretch and then no pain. So I called my doctor to ask him why prescribe brand name Ibuprofen instead of just telling me to stretch it when it hurts. He said, "well, people like to just take a pill." :rolleyes: Yeah, well apparently doctors like kickbacks from distributors too, so **** you. *******. That wasn't the first time I cussed out the same doctor. ***damn straight people will find doctors that will prescribe meds.

But. Anyway, it was not specifically Trump who caused the reports of hydroxychloroquine shortages for people who needed it for Lupus or whatever. Trump acted perhaps a bit more optimistic about it than he should have. But it was the press who reported that he was recommending it. He didn't. So if people rushed out and demanded their doctors to prescribe it, that one's on the press for mischaracterizing Trump's optimism for an outright recommendation.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Hey, smart people: or at least people smart about buildings and mechanics and things I know nothing about....

what can businesses do that have these modern, stuffy, windowless buildings?

My clinic is in a 1960s building which always seemed a disadvantage until now. Being a vet clinic, we also have overhead exhaust fans including a main one that works so well it practically sucks the doors in. So I feel like we have a good thing going as far as reducing airborn viral spread. Now that society is "opening up" a bit more I'm asking even our small work groups to wear a mask all day. But if they want to take it off to have a coffee or something, I ask them to sit at their own computer (ie away from others) and to turn on that overhead exhaust fan. We also keep the windows open, weather permitting.

Conversely, I went to my first "pandemic era" doctor's appointment this week at an ophthalmologist. I minimized my risk by taking the first appointment, wore my N95 (yes I'm using it repeatedly but it still should help), wore wrap around glasses until the actual exam, and went home for a shower afterward. There was also plenty of hand washing, etc.

Anyway, what really struck me was sitting in that little stuffy exam room. SARSCov2 can hang in the air for 2-3 hours after someone expels it. So it just seems to me that finding a way to get some air circulating to the outdoors would make a big difference.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry, Dusty, no clue. But, if you own the building, I suspect that the old tech of those exhaust fans increases the future value!

Separately, IHME updated their numbers yesterday. The sawtooth reporting pattern of Sundays-down/Mondays-up is reflected in the Daily Deaths. That's an embarrassing reporting pattern. It reminds me of the old trope (I heard it in the early 80s) about the US auto industry: don't buy a car made on Fridays, because everyone's already slacking off, and don't buy a car made on Mondays because everyone's hungover.

And even though they appear to have updated the daily deaths, it doesn't appear to have changed the overall expected death total by August - its still 143k.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Sure it could. Influence can be very powerful. The pressure that patients put on their physicians, and the lure of money can be very powerful. I had tendonitis in my foot that was very painful. I could barely walk sometimes. My doctor prescribed Ruffin. He marked it no generics. It's Ibuprofen for **** sake. And it was REALLY expensive. The pharmacist was pretty shocked. He told me I could just get a bottle of Advil or any other Ibuprofen and just take the same dose as prescribed. Be a lot cheaper. The Ibuprofen kinda helped. But I still had problems walking. And then I read an article about that particular tendonitis. It suggested a kind of stretching exercise. So whenever I had difficulty walking. I did the stretch and then no pain. So I called my doctor to ask him why prescribe brand name Ibuprofen instead of just telling me to stretch it when it hurts. He said, "well, people like to just take a pill." :rolleyes: Yeah, well apparently doctors like kickbacks from distributors too, so **** you. *******. That wasn't the first time I cussed out the same doctor. ***damn straight people will find doctors that will prescribe meds.

But. Anyway, it was not specifically Trump who caused the reports of hydroxychloroquine shortages for people who needed it for Lupus or whatever. Trump acted perhaps a bit more optimistic about it than he should have. But it was the press who reported that he was recommending it. He didn't. So if people rushed out and demanded their doctors to prescribe it, that one's on the press for mischaracterizing Trump's optimism for an outright recommendation.

Oh, I'm well aware of pharmaceutical sales. I think a lot of it is shady. (Ironic, given my work - but my focus is on drug product safety and efficacy, not on sales and marketing.) That said, there is a huge difference between material kickbacks from drug reps, and the presidential bully pulpit.

And you're right: Trump no more recommended taking hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin than he recommended drinking bleach or injecting disinfectant.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Sorry, Dusty, no clue. But, if you own the building, I suspect that the old tech of those exhaust fans increases the future value!

Separately, IHME updated their numbers yesterday. The sawtooth reporting pattern of Sundays-down/Mondays-up is reflected in the Daily Deaths. That's an embarrassing reporting pattern. It reminds me of the old trope (I heard it in the early 80s) about the US auto industry: don't buy a car made on Fridays, because everyone's already slacking off, and don't buy a car made on Mondays because everyone's hungover.

And even though they appear to have updated the daily deaths, it doesn't appear to have changed the overall expected death total by August - its still 143k.

You know what would resolve that issue entirely: start trending/reporting occurrence date, and stop trending/reporting recorded date. Recorded date is irrelevant. Occurrence date is relevant.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, I'm well aware of pharmaceutical sales. I think a lot of it is shady. (Ironic, given my work - but my focus is on drug product safety and efficacy, not on sales and marketing.) That said, there is a huge difference between material kickbacks from drug reps, and the presidential bully pulpit.

And you're right: Trump no more recommended taking hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin than he recommended drinking bleach or injecting disinfectant.

First, my wife showed me that clip last night. He was at least endorsing it, if not recommending it.

Second, in the immortal words of the great American philosopher, Bill Murray, "It just doesn't matter." We're bombarded with prescription drug advertisements/endorsements/recommendations. (Notwithstanding a vacuous emoluments issue, of course.)

People ARE more likely to ask their doctor about anything Trump claims to take. (Has he been taking it a few days, a week or so, or a few weeks?) And the docs are more likely to prescribe it, depending in part on their relationship with the sales rep.

That's just how the system is structured at this point.

(With all the other crap the Trump Campaign hawks in their emails, I wouldn't be surprised to see this cocktail.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom