• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What does it mean - "the doctors were made aware of remdesivir by gilead and obtained the doses"?

How could any doctor treating anybody for anything not be aware of remdesivir?

say it with different pauses

the doctors were made aware of remdesivir, by Gilead, and obtained the doses

not sure it's a wonder drug but it probably helps. 36 weeks pregnant and they did dialysis but not a c-section? Hrm....

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    auVrIfC.png

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Bwah, ha, ha. You fell for the "redefining Wuhan Coronavirus prevention measures for the masses" fraud.

You do remember that "flatten the curve" was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and not to eliminate or freeze infections at a particular level right? Where is the line in that graph for hospital capacity?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I fell for the bat bug lie until late in January when realizing it was keyed to the global reserve currency reset and started discussing it with an elder cousin who is up to speed on such, that runs a factory in VN. This morning after breakfast I've started doing searches for corona virus currency reset and such. There are lots of people out there talking about this. By the dates shown they have been for months. So after I pick some more yard long beans, help the better 2/3's process some tomatoes and squash and maybe test some 25-20's for stability with long bullets I will have some entertaining reading to get into. I was going to get into a copy of the Adam and Eve book without the 3 letter agency blackout redactions but the bank bug is more fun. Well, I'm off to pick more beans.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Watching a video on the Salem witch trials the other day, I realized that when bad things happen, it seems to be a natural response to look for some group to blame...if there isn't evidence, we'll substitute correlation and conjecture for it.

I also realized that human nature hasn't really changed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Watching a video on the Salem witch trials the other day, I realized that when bad things happen, it seems to be a natural response to look for some group to blame...if there isn't evidence, we'll substitute correlation and conjecture for it.

I also realized that human nature hasn't really changed.

We both have different ideas about the source of human nature, but especially since the Salem witch trials, human nature has definitely not changed. We've figured out how to override some of the algorithms, but that's just social knowledge. Different + not immediately explainable = :runaway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We both have different ideas about the source of human nature, but especially since the Salem witch trials, human nature has definitely not changed. We've figured out how to override some of the algorithms, but that's just social knowledge. Different + not immediately explainable = :runaway:

tru dat

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The rapid molecular test (results in 15 mins) can miss up to 60% of people that have it. The test sucks.

The PCR test (better one), turnaround 1-2 days, misses about 30% of people that have it. The test sucks.

Testing once is stupid if you have symptoms. A negative doesn't mean you don't have it. You need a second test to get under a 10% miss rate. And guess what... if you have symptoms... ASSUME YOU HAVE IT.

That's a pretty big margin for error, yikes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In the middle of all of this I've been reading historical accounts of the Black Death and how medieval leadership reacted to it. I'm left wondering how much progress we've made sometimes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's a pretty big margin for error, yikes.

I have heard the virus described as "temporally pernicious" meaning that you may have it and test negative one day, positive the next and negative or positive the next.

This is thought (in some measure) to be because a certain viral load needs to be present to get a positive test and that area with the viral load needs to be the place the swab is taken from. The virus is not necessarily evenly distributed throughout the respiratory tract even several days after showing symptoms.

Good news- there are not that many false positives.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Well, my sister (who completed chemo in Feb. for lymphoma) and her kids, my niece and nephew, all got the COVID and it looks like they are all going to...eventually...recover. My nephew had an indicated 107 degree temperature at one time. They all had high fevers. My sister said at its peak (about a week ago) it was much worse in terms of pain, GI symptoms, shaking, etc. than the worst of her chemo. They never had respiratory symptoms.

Her husband, my brother-in-law either hasn't gotten it or is asymptomatic. He has not been tested, but I imagine when his "partial quarantine" is done, early Sept. (14 days after the last time someone in his household would be capable of passing it), he will likely get tested for antibodies.

My Mom never got it and is at over 14 days since she last had contact with anyone in my sister's household. That is incredible.

I would just note that simply looking at death as an outcome and ignoring all other negative outcomes...seems incomplete.

Rough story, hope everybody gets better.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In the middle of all of this I've been reading historical accounts of the Black Death and how medieval leadership reacted to it. I'm left wondering how much progress we've made sometimes.

...or barring a vaccine or post infections treatments, there's not that many things that attenuate the spread...at least not many new things.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Bwah, ha, ha. You fell for the "redefining Wuhan Coronavirus prevention measures for the masses" fraud.

I would phrase it as I passed high school algebra and understand the math of an exponential growth curve. Some, apparently did not and do not - even still.

If it helps, the graph is of RATES, so where the line increases, the rate of infection is ACCELERATING. Where it is not increasing, the rate remains steady, or flat.

You do remember that "flatten the curve" was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and not to eliminate or freeze infections at a particular level right? Where is the line in that graph for hospital capacity?

YUP! And you realize you are conflating cause with effect... an unbound exponential epidemic (i.e. a upward spiraling curve) would affect an over-run of hospital resources to deal with the severely infected, a la Northern Italy, with many dying due to scarcity of resource to care for them. In most places, the lock down was early enough to avoid that... NY state and NYC, not so much.

And, give me an ill-conceived, "fake news" hospital meme and I'll address whatever tin-hat idea that portrays... but consider the "flatten the curve meme" you posted, debunked.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

[video=youtube;WPMMNvYTEyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMMNvYTEyI[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom